Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mein Kampf becomes Amazon e-book Bestseller

Old 01-17-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mein Kampf becomes Amazon e-book Bestseller

$16.89 (Paperback)

"Huh... no way I become an anti-semite at that price!"

0.99 cents (e-book)

"I'm in!"

Mein Kampf becomes Amazon Bestseller

Manifesto on the 'Jewish peril' and the Nazi ideology has become 'a bona fide online sensation.'

By Gil Ronen
First Publish: 1/17/2014, 1:40 AM

Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf has becoming an exceedingly successful international e-book bestseller – a sign that anti-Semitism is on the rise worldwide.

Originally published in 1925, the 387-page anti-Semitic manifesto on the “Jewish peril” and the Nazi ideology has become “a bona fide online sensation,” writes Fox News, topping Amazon’s Propaganda & Political Psychology section as of Thursday for just 99 cents.

Chris Faraone of Vocativ.com wrote Wednesday that for about a year now, Hitler's book has been on the list of best-sellers on iTunes, where and that currently two different digital versions of the book rank 12th and 15th on the Politics & Current Events chart.

On Amazon, reported Faraone, “there are more than 100 versions of Mein Kampf for sale in every conceivable print and audio format, from antique hardbacks to brand-new paperbacks. Of those 100 iterations, just six are e-books—yet all six of them rank among the 10 best-selling versions overall. And those are just the ones people are paying for.”

In January 2013, a 99 cent Kindle version began to do well among World War II books and Historical Biographies & Memoirs. Its publisher, a California company called Elite Minds Inc.,told Vocativ, “Sales are great,” but noted that he faces “a moral dilemma in promotion” in that he fears advocating “something that could be misused.”

Vocativ speculated that Mein Kampf's popularity on the Internet is connected to the anonymous nature of e-purchases, and to curiosity. “I think I waited 45 years to read Hitler’s words,” writes one reviewer. Another sums it up thusly: “Curiosity killed me to get this book.”

Germany inherited the copyright ownership to the book in 1945 and will maintain national exclusivity until 2015. Lawmakers there have pledged to release an annotated version of Mein Kampf to coincide with the expiration of their rights.

Since showing up in Asia 15 years ago, Mein Kampf has sold in excess of 100,000 copies in India. In 2005, the debut of the first-ever Turkish translation sold 100,000 copies in the first two months.

Deutsche Welle spoke to Gerhard Weinberg, 86, a professor emeritus of history at the University of North Carolina, who published Hitler's second book in 1961. He thinks there is a combination of factors that contribute to the sudden popularity of Hitler's book on the Internet.

"For one it is simply curiosity. For contemporaries, Hitler is a figure from the past about whom they've heard a great deal. And now suddenly on their computers they can either for little money or no money at all read his most important major book," Weinberg told DW in an interview.

"A second factor I would suggest is that some people may think that he was right about many things and this is a way to find out what exactly he thought without making yourself open to perhaps embarrassment by others who don't share your positive view of Hitler," he said.

But Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, thinks online sellers should only sell annotated versions of the book. "We know that the facts of life are that you cannot censor any idea from the Internet, it's simply impossible," Cooper told FoxNews.com. "But an annotated version is important for someone who doesn't know the context of the time and so that they're not reading pure genocidal hate."

"It adds fuel to the fire of hatred. It's shorthand for Jew hatred, and that makes it an automatic seller."

Cooper, along with historical consultant Harold Brackman, said the posthumous e-book's surge is not entirely unexpected.

“It exploits pent-up demand in Germany, where print versions have been verboten, but cyberspace again makes a joke of the Maginot Line of censorship laws,” Cooper and Brackman wrote on JewishJournal.com.

The glorification of Hitler, Cooper claims, is being seen among Muslims and Arabs in the Netherlands, Lebanon, Turkey, Egypt, Thailand, Japan, India and South Korea.

In response to the surge in digital downloads of the book, as well as the expiration of its Bavarian copyright next year, the Anti-Defamation League is offering an introduction to the English translation written by Holocaust survivor and ADL National Director Abraham Foxman.

“We believe it is important for Mein Kampf to continue to be published as it does have value to historians and students of World War II and Holocaust history,” Foxman said in a statement. “There is always the concern, however, that some people who are already infected with anti-Semitism will misuse the book in an attempt to glorify Hitler or reinforce their own warped views about Jews. We think the only constructive way for the book to be published is with an introduction that explains the historical context and the impact of the thinking behind Hitler’s words, which led right up to the murderous, racist Nazi regime.”

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...7#.Utna0two6Ch
I don't disagree with Foxman about misuse by the "already infected" although in that case, I doubt that an annotated version would help. The first sentence of that article is just the typical knee-jerk reaction silliness.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-17-14 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 08:33 PM

Re: Mein Kampf becomes Amazon e-book Bestseller

Fake Controversy Alert: Hitler’s Mein Kampf Was Not A Digital Bestseller
Old 01-17-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I'll be darned. Some of the reactions are priceless though. Kudos to Foxman for his level-headed comments, despite the untrue story.

And the bad journalism award goes to...

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-17-14 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind if people buy Mein Kampf. I borrowed a copy from the library when I wanted to read it. Hitler is an excellent storyteller, and the stories from his life are great. But the bulk of the book is his unreadable philosophy. I struggled to get halfway through the book, and then I returned it.

Only a professional alarmist would say that anyone is going to read Mein Kampf and become an antisemite.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 01-17-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 09:01 PM
Banned by request

I don't know, Nick. Clearly everyone who read a Harry Potter book (or saw any of the movies) became a wizard or witch overnight.
Old 01-17-14, 09:12 PM
Suspended

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, if you look at Google you will see pages and pages and pages of blogs, websites, and media organizations repeating the same story.
One of the reasons why this world is doomed. Most do not conduct their own investigations, and just have a reader on their "original" website which shits out the same stuff as everyone else.
Old 01-17-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a non story. The library carries tons of copies.
Old 01-19-14, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe this current Amazon digital sales story is fake, but it's certainly true that Mein Kampf has been and continues to be perenially popular in the Muslim world:

http://latitude.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ype=blogs&_r=0

http://observers.france24.com/conten...okshop-shelves

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8382132.stm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/200...9/turkey.books

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 01-19-14 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-19-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
One of the reasons why this world is doomed. Most do not conduct their own investigations, and just have a reader on their "original" website which shits out the same stuff as everyone else.
Is that conclusion from your own research?
Old 01-19-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"We were the first to publish Mein Kampf in Indonesian. Before that you could only find it in English. In 2007 sales were excellent, so much so that we had to reprint the book three times. Between the two volumes more than 15,000 copies were sold, and Mein Kampf got into the top five bestsellers. But, for no apparent reason, this trend seems to have come to an end. Less than 500 copies have been sold since the start of 2008, so we didn't see any point in printing anymore."
For a population of 234 million at the time, that hardly sounds "popular".
Old 01-19-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Maybe this current Amazon digital sales story is fake, but it's certainly true that Mein Kampf has been and continues to be perenially popular in the Muslim world:

http://latitude.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ype=blogs&_r=0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8382132.stm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/200...9/turkey.books
The story from Pakistan is about a single street vendor who sells pirated copies. It's tough to extrapolate from one person who sells 5-6 copies a day during the holiday gift-giving season. The story from Indonesia says that although the publisher sold 15,000 copies the first year, then the sales stopped. I suspect that it sold more out of curiosity and because it was dropped from the government list of banned books. The story from Turkey is the only one that's about large sales. They sold 100,000 copies in two months, to a much smaller population than Indonesia.

I like to think of those Pakistani people who got Mein Kampf as a gift, and started reading about the glorious purity of the Aryan race, and throwing the book across the room.
Old 01-19-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not arguing that it's topped the bestseller list in every Muslim country every year since 1925. My point is that the whole story of the book being popular in the Muslim world isn't made up. And of course, the influence of Nazism on the Arab Muslim world is evident in the ideology of the Ba'athist parties---and of course this charming fellow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haj_Amin_al-Husseini
Old 01-19-14, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Is that conclusion from your own research?
You can buy my e-book and learn the rest.
Old 01-19-14, 09:59 PM
Banned by request

Guys, let's remember, in case you're not scared enough of the Muslim boogie man--they're also Nazis!
Old 01-20-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If they start bleaching their hair blond, I'm leaving the planet.
Old 01-20-14, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would buy the book at 99 cents. I have always been curious to read it. I am certainly not an anti-semite. I've read the bible and the book of mormon too and I am not a Christian or Mormon.
Old 01-20-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Free: http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=69SWMYP2

Of course, if you download it you're just proving that American police are becoming more antisemitic.
Old 01-20-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I never understood the taboo of reading or being seen with Mein Kampf. I haven't read it but it's a pretty important historical artifact. Why hide from the ugliness? It was real, it happened. Let's learn from it.
Old 01-20-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I never understood the taboo of reading or being seen with Mein Kampf. I haven't read it but it's a pretty important historical artifact. Why hide from the ugliness? It was real, it happened. Let's learn from it.
And I agree with you in theory, but I think it's particularly disturbing when it's popular in the Arab Muslim world, just given the degree to which that culture has such a paucity of Western writings to begin with.

I'm not sure people in the West are really aware of facts like this:

"About 10,000 books have been translated into Arabic in the past millennium, according to a 2003 study by the U.N. Development Program."

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan...nment/et-arab4

(I don't know the degree of translations of foreign writings into Turkish and Indonesian)
Old 01-20-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, but I was speaking of people in the west, I guess, without a radical political ideology.
Old 01-20-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

80 million copies of Mein Kampf have been sold/distributed. So much like The Bible, the Qur'an and Mao's "red book", although to a lesser extent, it seems to me that it has been "popular" pretty much everywhere (when available).

"it's particularly disturbing when it's popular in the Arab Muslim world" is pretty much a meaningless statement without a breakdown by country.

And:

"About 10,000 books have been translated into Arabic in the past millennium, according to a 2003 study by the U.N. Development Program."

We should feel particularly disturbed because one of these 10,000 books is one of the most "popular" books of all time? That's just grasping at straws.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-20-14 at 06:43 PM.