Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

French Taxi Drivers Attack an Uber Car in Paris

Old 01-14-14, 09:43 PM
Political Exile

A new technology allows taxi customers to get their cab a lot faster. The luddites at the unions don't like this, and they are vandalizing cars, as well as trying to get laws passed to make customers wait extra time for their cabs.

When unions are trying to protect the health and safety of their members, I'm all for it. But vandalizing cars and blocking a new technology that benefits customers is not what unions are supposed to be about. This just makes the unions look stupid.

And this whole claim about "unfair competition" is absurd.

http://www.yahoo.com/tech/why-french...347907700.html

January 14, 2014

The attacks by striking cab drivers on Uber cars in Paris on Monday — with protesters shattering windows, smashing mirrors and slashing tires — appear to be the first violent clashes in the ongoing battle between local cabbies and app-based car services.

But tensions, in Paris and elsewhere, have been brewing for months. Cab drivers say Uber and apps like it, which allow customers to hitch rides nearly instantly from their smartphones, create unfair competition and undermine the traditional cab-hailing business.

When Uber launched in New York, the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission reportedly pressured the drivers of licensed “yellow” taxis not to join Uber’s fleet.

According to its website, Uber operates in 26 countries and more than 50 cities and has ambitious plans to expand.

But the San Francisco-based startup has faced stiff legal hurdles at nearly every turn. Last month, Toronto officials charged Uber with operating without proper licenses. The company ran into similar regulatory issues in Vancouver.

In Portland, Ore., Uber has urged lawmakers to change an ordinance requiring town cars to wait an hour before picking up would-be passengers.

In Paris, a “15-minute law” went into effect on Jan. 1, requiring all Uber drivers to wait 15 minutes after a request is placed to pick up a passenger — a move aimed at leveling the competition for traditional Parisian cabbies.

Nonetheless, hundreds of unionized cab drivers participated in Monday’s protests in Paris, demanding a 30-minute delay
, minimum fares and a driver recruitment ban. At least 12 Uber cars were targeted, according to local reports.

Renaud Visage, co-founder of the online ticketing service Eventbrite, was traveling in one of the cars when it was attacked.

“We are more shaken up than hurt,” Visage told TechCrunch. “We are still in shock because of how violent the attack was.”

According to the Associated Press, at least one person was injured in Monday’s protests.

In a statement, Uber condemned the violence:

"Uber strongly condemns this morning’s incident where two Uber users and their driver were confronted with severe violence.

"First, we are very glad all involved are safe and ok. Also, we would like to praise our partner who has shown great courage and professionalism and focused on getting his customers out of a very challenging situation.

"That the taxis chose to use violence is unacceptable, that they chose to strike is their business. However, Parisians also have a choice when it comes to moving around in their city, and today’s incident will certainly not tempt Parisians into choosing a taxi for their next ride."

Taxi drivers stop the traffic on the highway leading to Paris, Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013 at Roissy airport.
Old 01-14-14, 10:28 PM
Banned by request

Re: French Taxi Drivers Attack an Uber Car in Paris

Taxi companies have also been very vocal about how Uber and Lyft shouldn't be allowed in the US. Personally, I used Uber on New Year's Eve and it was fantastic. I'll never go back to a traditional cab again if I can help it.
Old 01-14-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm way behind. This is the first I've heard of Uber and I'm still not quite sure how it works.
Old 01-14-14, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Basically, they're a cab company, but instead of calling them, you load their app on your phone. It uses the phone's GPS to get your location, and when you request a ride, they arrive quickly and you can track the car's location. They also are somewhat cheaper than a cab, depending on what level of service you get. They have professional drivers like a cab company, chargers for your electronic devices, and water in the cars.

Lyft is a ridesharing service. They have amateur drivers, and usually are even cheaper than Uber, but YMMV with it.
Old 01-14-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

In Portland, Ore., Uber has urged lawmakers to change an ordinance requiring town cars to wait an hour before picking up would-be passengers.
Doesn't surprise me in the land of Bicycle Lanes and Mass Transit Unions.
Old 01-14-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the purpose of such an ordinance?^
Old 01-15-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To reduce competition for cab companies ... the cab companies in Dallas tried to get a similar ordinance passed here in response to Uber
Old 01-15-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How is this app easier than the old fashioned method of putting your hand up?
Old 01-15-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You do not often see cabs going up and down residential primarily streets ... or say it is bitterly cold/hot/raining/whatever outside, you can stay inside.

But why have competition when you can just physically attack it and use influence over local politicians to pass stupid ass waiting periods.

Typical union thug bullshit
Old 01-15-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
They have professional drivers like a cab company
I mean I don't even
Old 01-15-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried Uber once. I didn't care for the experience and it was expensive. I only tried it because I had a coupon and it ending up being the same price as a gypsy cab. No thanks.
Old 01-15-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand. Why don't the displeased taxi companies come up with their own app?

They appear to be jealous that Uber gets out a lot faster and offers something that people want.

What keeps them from joining Uber? Or building their own dispatch app?
Old 01-15-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I may download the app after seeing they service Indianapolis. The only place you can reliably find a cab here is the airport. When I was younger and still went to bars, something like this would have been far preferable to trying to call a cab from a loud bar or getting the bartender to call one.
Old 01-15-14, 10:14 AM

Depends on where you are and what you're doing. Not all of us are in Manhattan. If you're out in an office park in the suburbs, there's probably not a lot of taxis just driving by. Sure, you can call, but this would be a lot faster.

At one time in Utah, it was actually illegal to hail a cab for some reason. Not sure if that's still the case.
Old 01-15-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Does Uber have to get licensed by the city just like cab companies do? I'm not sure how I see they are different than every other cab company other than using a bit more tech.
Old 01-15-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean putting your hand up for a cab, while ignoring the black guy behind you who has to drink out of a separate drinking fountain? Your longing for the good old days makes me sick!
Old 01-15-14, 11:15 AM
Banned by request

Not all of us live in places where cabs are so plentiful that just putting your hand up will get a cab to pull up to the curb for you.
Old 01-15-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So you'd be calling for a cab on the phone. All this does is eliminate the phone call. I'd think Paris you'd be able to hail a cab. Never been there. It seems that in places not Chicago or New York, you'd be used to "calling" for a cab. It's kind of cool that the cab company can get your GPS coordinates.
Old 01-15-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Does Uber have to get licensed by the city just like cab companies do? I'm not sure how I see they are different than every other cab company other than using a bit more tech.
I believe they don't and that's a big part of the issue. At least I'm pretty sure Lyft doesn't need to be because it's not a cab, it's ridesharing. But it functions just like a cab, it's not really carpooling, etc.

While I'd never condone attacking someone or their car over this, I do think there is an issue that needs to be addressed about cabs vs. ridesharing. Otherwise what's the point of licensing cabs?
Old 01-15-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ridesharing. Used to be called hitchhiking. Does Lyft prevent the axe murderer psychos somehow?
Old 01-15-14, 11:34 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

They have changed the market here in SF. that's for sure.

Cab companies are having to adapt. I use it all the time, they also lowered prices for UberX, their taxi equivalent - It's cheaper than a cab.

From a customer pov I can know exactly how long I will wait. I also get to see the driver, and see how he has been rated. Everyone gets reviewed - like airbnb.

Paris is a weird one, because if you order a taxi there, you are charged the meter from when you order. If your taxi takes 20 mins to get there, you paid 20 mins of fare before getting into it!
Old 01-15-14, 11:36 AM

Ridesharing. Used to be called hitchhiking. Does Lyft prevent the axe murderer psychos somehow?
The app specifically asks this. If you say "Yes" you are only paired with other axe murdering psychos.
Old 01-15-14, 11:37 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I can also get a limo to the airport for $65 with Uber - (Linconln Towncar usually) A cab is $45 + tip. Uber includes the tip. It's just amazingly convenient.

Non Limo to airport is $55 I think. Uber also does Surge pricing, so before Christmas I paid 2.5X the rate. Having said that it was pissing down with rain, and everyone was going out on a friday for holiday parties etc etc. So happy to pay it, rather than wait for a cab
Old 01-15-14, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Uber includes the tip.
Old 01-15-14, 11:44 AM
Banned by request

In LA it's only $30 to the airport, I think. This is nice because cab companies charge a $30 flat fee on top of the fare for airport rides, IIRC.

As for Lyft, they do some amount of screening for their drivers. Not just anyone can sign up to be a driver, although I do not know what the specific details are used in the screening.

Also, I'm not surprised that CRM is laughing at anyone who does things differently than he does.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.