Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Satanic Group Unveils Statue Design for Oklahoma State Capitol

Old 01-07-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Satanic Group Unveils Statue Design for Oklahoma State Capitol

Story here
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) A satanic group unveiled designs Monday for a 7-foot-tall statue of Satan it wants to put at the Oklahoma state Capitol, where a Ten Commandments monument was placed in 2012.

The New York-based Satanic Temple formally submitted its application to a panel that oversees the Capitol grounds, including an artist's rendering that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard that's often used as a symbol of the occult. In the rendering, Satan is sitting in a pentagram-adorned throne with smiling children next to him.

"The monument has been designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and beyond," temple spokesman Lucien Greaves said in a statement. "The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."

The Satanic Temple maintains that the Oklahoma Legislature's decision to authorize a privately funded Ten Commandments monument at the Capitol opened the door for its statue. The Ten Commandments monument was placed on the north steps of the building in 2012, and the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has sued to have it removed.

Similar requests for monuments have been made by a Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

In response, the Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission recently placed a moratorium on considering any new requests.

"Anybody can still make their request, but we'll hold off on considering them until the lawsuit is adjudicated," commission Chairman Trait Thompson said.

The push by the Satanic Temple has rankled elected leaders in this conservative state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt, who say such a proposal would never be approved by the commission.

"I think you've got to remember where you are. This is Oklahoma, the middle of the heartland," said Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon. "I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."

While Greaves acknowledges the Satanic Temple's effort is in part to highlight what it says is hypocrisy of state leaders in Oklahoma, he says the group is serious about having a monument placed there.

The group already has raised nearly half of the $20,000 it says it needs to build the monument.

"We plan on moving forward one way or another," Greaves said.

Another Oklahoma legislator, Rep. Earl Sears, called the group's effort "an insult to the good people of the state."

"I do not see Satanism as a religion, and they have no place at the state Capitol," said Sears, R-Bartlesville.

On its website, the Satanic Temple explains that it "seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works.

"Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness," the website says.
If a Ten Commandments monument can go there, it's only fair for this to go up too. And hey, at least this one has a functional purpose!

The Republican representative apparently isn't aware of the door he's opening by saying that he does not see Satanism as a religion.
Old 01-07-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Satanic Group Unveils Statue Design for Oklahoma State Capitol

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post

If a Ten Commandments monument can go there, it's only fair for this to go up too. And hey, at least this one has a functional purpose!
No, it shouldn't. They're just being dickish trolls.
Old 01-07-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Pretty much. It's in bad faith (hehe) and bad taste. No religion should be sponsored or displayed by the state, that includes "religions" designed to just piss people off.
Old 01-07-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Pretty much. It's in bad faith (hehe) and bad taste. No religion should be sponsored or displayed by the state, that includes "religions" designed to just piss people off.
So do you think the Ten Commandments statue should be taken down? The Satanists spokesperson admits in the article that this is just an attempt to point out the hypocrisy of the situation. The Oklahoma City government is clearly showing a bias to one religion over others.
Old 01-07-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-07-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I should have added a winky face just to be clear. You're correct that it shouldn't go up. Neither should the Ten Commandments.
Old 01-07-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
I guess I should have added a winky face just to be clear. You're correct that it shouldn't go up. Neither should the Ten Commandments.

Than I assume you would tear down the United States Supreme Court Building.
Old 01-07-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get those kids outta the way so I can sit in his lap!!
Old 01-07-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We need to remember that, in America, when we talk about "freedom of religion" it means that Christians are given a preferential place in public life, but we will tolerate other beliefs as long as they don't get too uppity and know their place.
Old 01-07-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can the Santanic Temple opt out of ObamaCare for religious reasons?
Old 01-07-14, 08:14 PM
Suspended

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

I'm actually for the Satan chair. Like it's really gonna hurt Christians. If so, I've never come across such a group of Pussy Christians in my life. Of course, this isn't rare.

I'm a Christian, and I'm not intimidated. In fact, I might just take the opportunity to read a few Bible verses on that chair!

I guess next time maybe Okey Dokey Committees can be a little more fair in funding next time and maybe think a little.

And the Republican representatives quoted here are fucking morons. They love thumping their bibles but have no idea on what's in it.
Old 01-07-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The idea that anyone involved in approving a Ten Commandments monument doesn't see Christianity as Religion #1 is hilarious. Of course they won't approve anything else. They approved a Ten Commandments monument, for Christ's sake.
Old 01-07-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
So do you think the Ten Commandments statue should be taken down? The Satanists spokesperson admits in the article that this is just an attempt to point out the hypocrisy of the situation. The Oklahoma City government is clearly showing a bias to one religion over others.
Actually, I do. While the vast majority of the supporters of these ten commandment displays are well meaning, good people who honestly feel it will somehow "help", the organizers of these displays are cynics who play them for their own purposes.
Old 01-07-14, 09:23 PM
Suspended

Christians and Satanists can reach a compromise.

Contact Kittydreamer.
Old 01-07-14, 09:33 PM
Banned by request

I don't really see how taste comes into the discussion. They have freedom of speech and religion. Doesn't matter if it's in good taste. And the point stands that if you want to erect monuments to your religion on public property, then you open the door to everyone else who wants to as well.

The Hindu one will be more interesting. If they deny both, they'll lose in the courts so fast their heads will spin. If they deny the Satanist monument but not the Hindu one, they'll lose even faster.

And, FWIW, I like the statue.
Old 01-07-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
They approved a Ten Commandments monument, for Christ's sake.
Interesting phrasing. It is indeed for his sake that you're forgiven, for his sake that he died for you. Hopefully someday that means more to you than a flippant phrase....
Old 01-07-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh brother.
Old 01-07-14, 09:55 PM
Banned by request

What a way to run a railroad!
Old 01-07-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Can the Santanic Temple opt out of ObamaCare for religious reasons?
I'm not sure they can opt out, given that's where it was written.
Old 01-07-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Christians make it so hard not to hate them with these things.
Old 01-08-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Interesting phrasing. It is indeed for his sake that you're forgiven, for his sake that he died for you. Hopefully someday that means more to you than a flippant phrase....
Do you think the Flying Spaghetti Monster is real? Do you live your life according to his teachings? I'm guessing no, so you must understand how it feels to not believe in something. Take that feeling, apply it to Jesus and you'll understand how I feel about it.

The only justification to erecting a Ten Commandments monument is to say that your religion is the right religion. That is arrogance to the extreme, and completely disregards every other religion, some with more members and more history. And I don't get real excited about supporting that.
Old 01-08-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, if it doesn't come to pass, I bet Norway would be interested in a few orders
Old 01-08-14, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Christianity is not the only religion that holds to The Ten Commandments.

btw: Certain sects in Christianity don't hold to The Ten Commandments.
Old 01-08-14, 01:14 AM
Banned

"selfless revolt"

Old 01-08-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ghost could play at the ceremony!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.