Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Phil Robertson is Not on Game of Thrones (also: ducks)

Old 12-19-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Phil Robertson is Not on Game of Thrones (also: ducks)

The media storm that blew up yesterday over Phil Robertson's anti-gay comments have blown the smoke away from the reality of homosexuality in America.

The liberal news sites immediately pounced on Robertson's comments from an interview without even posting the full interview. GLAAD wasted no time in condemning the man for simply being honest about his Christian beliefs that homosexuality is a sin. Their first response:

Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans –- and Americans -- who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families.

In less than a day, A&E said they would take Phil off the show. Since then, there has been a massive fan support movement. One facebook page supporting Phil and his right to free speech now has almost 500,000 likes. It will be interesting to see how things develop from here. Will the Robertsons tell A&E to stick it and quit the show? Will A&E give up their huge cash cow? What will the fan backlash be if they do take this show off? Duck Dynasty fan base is massive after all.

The whole debacle reveals the following to me:

1. It's a media lie that the vast majority of Americans support gays and gay marriage. The enormous amount of support for Phil suggests otherwise. Even more of an outrageous lie for GLAAD to say that you can only be a TRUE Christian if you support gays.

2. GLAAD has enormous power. In less than a day, they pressured this network to jeopardize their #1 tv show by suspending Phil. Fear of the pro gay media is greater than profits.

3. This has more to do with GLAAD's being against Christians than any social justice. They barely made a big deal of Alec Baldwin's comments, yet they declare all out war on the Robertsons.

4. The message is clear from GLAAD. If you dare speak out against homosexuality, you need to be silenced immediately. They can cheer A&E for making this happen.
Old 12-19-13, 11:08 AM
Admin-Thanos

re: A&E suspends Phil Robertson

I'd be happy if the beards from Duck Dynasty went away. Too many people are trying to replicate that nonsense.
Old 12-19-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
... Phil and his right to free speech ...
A&E is not the government.

The people that support gay marriage spend more money than the people that don't.
Old 12-19-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was fairly surprised at the level of response, after I actually read his comments.
"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical," he's quoted as saying.

When asked what he thought was sinful, Robertson replied: "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."
If GLAAD didn't step up and put an end to those comments, I'm sure the sleeping around movement would have done so.
Old 12-19-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I applaud this dudes use of free speech. But he has to realize there are consequences. On the other hand A&E should consider the audience that likes Duck Dynasty. Alienate them and you dive away millions of viewers, regardless of what GLADD has to say to the shows advertisers.
Old 12-19-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are really no consequences to him. They were all rich before the show started. I doubt Phil would be crushed if the show were to end. And I have to assume the area they live in has more people who agree with him than disagree.
Old 12-19-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

The whole debacle reveals the following to me:

1. It's a media lie that the vast majority of Americans support gays and gay marriage. The enormous amount of support for Phil suggests otherwise. Even more of an outrageous lie for GLAAD to say that you can only be a TRUE Christian if you support gays.
Is it also a media lie that states have had public votes to allow gay marriage? That seems like better evidence of how Americans feel than whatever is reported by the media, doesn't it?

2. GLAAD has enormous power. In less than a day, they pressured this network to jeopardize their #1 tv show by suspending Phil. Fear of the pro gay media is greater than profits.
Phil wanted to reduce his role anyway. He wasn't going to be in this last season at all. This doesn't change anything for A&E

I think it was stupid for A&E to put him on haitus, but in the end, I really don't give a shit. This will not end up affecting my life in any way.
Old 12-19-13, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Is it also a media lie that states have had public votes to allow gay marriage? That seems like better evidence of how Americans feel than whatever is reported by the media, doesn't it?
If that's the case, why does Lousiana have a state law banning same sex marriage when GLAAD claims that the majority of Louisianans support it? Pretty much every state that supports the issue are highly liberal states out of the Bible belt where religion isn't much a part of life.

Phil wanted to reduce his role anyway. He wasn't going to be in this last season at all. This doesn't change anything for A&E

I think it was stupid for A&E to put him on haitus, but in the end, I really don't give a shit. This will not end up affecting my life in any way.

Well I give a shit that an organization like GLAAD is becoming this powerful. Phil probably doesn't care. He has said that the only thing he really likes about the show is it gives more exposure and platform for his Christian faith and preaching.
Old 12-19-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I give a shit that an organization like GLAAD is becoming this powerful.
How much more power until GLAAD will be able to force you to get married to a man?
Old 12-19-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh god, who fucking cares!!!
Old 12-19-13, 11:38 AM

Does free speech only go one way? Phil Robertson has free speech to say what he wants, but apparently A&E shouldn't be allowed to choose who or what gets airtime on their network?
Old 12-19-13, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Oh god, who fucking cares!!!
Apparently over 500K now actually care.

https://www.facebook.com/westandwithphil
Old 12-19-13, 11:55 AM

If that's the case, why does Lousiana have a state law banning same sex marriage when GLAAD claims that the majority of Louisianans support it? Pretty much every state that supports the issue are highly liberal states out of the Bible belt where religion isn't much a part of
I'm not sure if you guys understand how politics works in this country. Consider these points:
  1. Public opinion on same-sex marriage is rapidly evolving, and many state laws banning it are years or decades old, and might not pass today. However, once something is in a constitution, it's quite difficult to remove it, even if a majority is against it.
  2. Just because a majority of eligible voters approves of something does not guarantee that a ban against it won't pass as a referendum. Consider a scenario where you have a population of 100 people. If you asked every one of them if they were okay with same sex couples marrying, let's say fifty-five of them said, "sure," and of those fifty-five, ten are very much in favor. Of the remaining forty-five people who aren't okay with it, 25 of those really aren't okay with it, at all. Not one bit. They lose sleep over the possibility, even. Now let's say that this population is offered the chance to ban same-sex marriage, now and forever, and that this will appear on the ballot the same year that the next most important issue is who gets to become state comptroller. That the case, we can guarantee that the 25 people who hate the idea of same-sex marriage will all show up to vote against it, along with the ten who strongly favor it. But of the remaining sixty-five people who can vote in our tiny, hypothetical state, only about half show up to vote. Guess what, the ban passes, 52% - 48%.
Old 12-19-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently over 500K now actually care.

https://www.facebook.com/westandwithphil
130 million Americans use facebook every day.

500K is about a third of a percent.
Old 12-19-13, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Does free speech only go one way? Phil Robertson has free speech to say what he wants, but apparently A&E shouldn't be allowed to choose who or what gets airtime on their network?
Businesses should be allowed to do anything they want, unless what they want makes me unhappy.
Old 12-19-13, 12:12 PM

As a side note, how is this A&E vs. Religion?
Old 12-19-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure, and now the other side gets to criticize A&E's reaction.
Old 12-19-13, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
130 million Americans use facebook every day.

500K is about a third of a percent.
The page is less than a day old, and Duck Dynasty is one of the highest rated cable shows on tv.
Old 12-19-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

how many "likes" do you predict this page will have by the end of the week?
Old 12-19-13, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Sure, and now the other side gets to criticize A&E's reaction.
Obviously. However, this has absolutely nothing to do with censorship or free speech.
Old 12-19-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Duh. Because being religious means you have to be anti-gay. Have to. It's required.

I'm new here and even I've picked that up already...
Old 12-19-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does dvdjunkie32 sit around waiting for those scarce moments where he can act like a Professional Ethnic Victim?
Old 12-19-13, 12:28 PM

Would you prefer A&E vs The Robertsons?

The network has tried before to get the family to not display their faith or say the name Jesus. It's obvious that the network doesn't want to support Christian values, but they don't want to give up a cash cow either. They make a killing off merchandise alone.
Old 12-19-13, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Does dvdjunkie32 sit around waiting for those scarce moments where he can act like a Professional Ethnic Victim?
How about just fucking once sticking to the topic instead of making this a damn personal issue against me?
Old 12-19-13, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
How much more power until GLAAD will be able to force you to get married to a man?
I want GLAAD to be more powerful than the NRA. I would rather have gay people marrying than a bunch of psychopaths running around with guns.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.