Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Chinese Going to the Moon / Google Buying Robotics Companys?????

Old 12-18-13, 01:00 AM
Cool New Member

Chinese Going to the Moon / Google Buying Robotics Companys?????

What's going on?

Chinese send expensive space craft to the moon. Google buying up robotic companies like they were baseball trading cards.

On the Chinese though. Why send robots to the moon? The knowledge on the moon is pretty much nailed down? A show of political superiority?

Will they send astronauts I wonder - and the bigger question - will they find evidence of previous trips?

Google - I think they are heading towards space exploration.
Old 12-18-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Chinese Going to the Moon / Google Buying Robotics Companys?????

good for Google. They should buy a robotics company and send their employees into space.
Old 12-18-13, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Greeco View Post
What's going on?

Chinese send expensive space craft to the moon. Google buying up robotic companies like they were baseball trading cards.

On the Chinese though. Why send robots to the moon? The knowledge on the moon is pretty much nailed down? A show of political superiority?

Will they send astronauts I wonder - and the bigger question - will they find evidence of previous trips?

Google - I think they are heading towards space exploration.
I figure the Chinese are planning on building their nuclear reactor on the moon. Soon they will rain death and destruction down on us. We are all toast.

Fortunately, their plan will be thwarted when their first manned mission lands. The godless heathens will not be able to resist the tempatation to pee on the American Flag we left there. When they all circle around and unzip, explosive decompression will put an end to their dastardly plans.

Sleep tight.
Old 12-18-13, 12:55 PM
Cool New Member

It will certainly make for a good movie plot!
Old 12-18-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once the Chinese conquer the moon, it'll hopefully force the United States to fly up there for a cool Moonraker-type space battle.
Old 12-18-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Companies.
Old 12-18-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hilts View Post
I figure the Chinese are planning on building their nuclear reactor on the moon. Soon they will rain death and destruction down on us. We are all toast.

Fortunately, their plan will be thwarted when their first manned mission lands. The godless heathens will not be able to resist the tempatation to pee on the American Flag we left there. When they all circle around and unzip, explosive decompression will put an end to their dastardly plans.

Sleep tight.
If that had been the plot of GRAVITY, I would have gone to see it.
Old 12-18-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We could probably have a great future in space if it were not for an idiotic government that has bankrupted itself.
Old 12-18-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
We could probably have a great future in space if it were not for an idiotic government that has bankrupted itself.
The 30 year boondoggle known as The Space Shuttle didn't help much.

Originally Posted by Greeco

We already had a thread on this but I don't know where it went, but as I said there, NASA could put a rover on the moon whenever it wanted to, but there's really no point. We're sending them to Mars now.

China's space program is still in relative infancy. They sent their first man to space only 10 years ago. They'll try to retrieve samples from the moon within 5 years, but they won't be sending manned missions for a long, long time.
Old 12-23-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
We already had a thread on this but I don't know where it went.
I reported my own thread to ask for a title change. The thread disappeared. I'm guessing that there was a connection.

The Chinese went to the moon for image politics, as a demonstration of power and for national pride. Totalitarian governments usually build a really big dam for that purpose, but in this case the dam was already started by the previous government.

But there is a more practical purpose. The dams are also an implicit threat if the river is the main water supply for another country downstream. It shows that if the upstream government really wanted to, they could cut off the industrial water, irrigation water, and drinking water, and there's nothing that anyone could do about it. The dam is always hundreds of miles from the border, so it would be very difficult to reach in a war.

Putting a base on the moon is similar. During the Cold War, one of the reasons that the US and USSR went to the moon was to make an implicit threat that we had the capability of putting a missile base directly overhead. We have signed treaties agreeing not to do that, but the capability remains. China probably wants in on that threat.