Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Should have worn googles! al-Qaeda accidentally beheads one of its own guys...

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-15-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Syrian rebel 'beheaded in case of mistaken identity'

An al-Qaeda affiliated rebel group in Syria is reported to have asked for forgiveness after beheading a fellow rebel in a case of mistaken identity.

A video recently posted online showed members of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) brandishing the severed, bearded head of a man.

They said was an Iraqi Shia caught fighting on the government side.

But other rebel fighters watching the video recognised the man and said he was one of their commanders.

In a separate development, activists said a senior figure in another Islamist rebel group had been killed in an air strike near Aleppo.

Youssef al-Abbas of Liwa al-Tawhid was reportedly meeting the brigade's leader, Abdul Qader Saleh, and another senior figure, Abdul al-Aziz Salameh, at a rebel-held air base on Thursday when he was killed, according to the opposition Aleppo News Network.

It said Youssef al-Abbas, also known as Abu al-Tayyeb, was Liwa al-Tawhid's intelligence chief, but the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights described him as the group's financial officer.

Mr Saleh and Mr Salameh were wounded in the attack. ANN reported that they were taken to a hospital in Turkey and were in a good condition.

Video footage posted online by activists purportedly showed Abu al-Tayyeb's body being transported to his hometown of Mareh.
Prayers

The video of the beheading shows two ISIS fighters in Aleppo province - one holding a knife - brandish a severed, bearded head, denouncing their victim as an Iraqi volunteer for President Bashar al-Assad's forces.

They decry his immorality, saying he is a heathen - one of those who have threatened rape of men as much as women.

BBC Arab affairs analyst Sebastian Usher says horrifying videos like this stream out of Syria every day from the rebel and government side - each with the aim of sowing terror.

What makes this one stand out, he adds, is that other rebels watching the video recognised the beheaded man.

Members of the hardline Islamist rebel group, Harakat Ahrar al-Sham, said he was not a government fighter at all, but one of their own. They said he was a commander called Mohammed Fares Maroush.

He is believed to have been wounded in the recent battle for Base 80, south of Aleppo, with government forces and was being taken for medical treatment by rebel fighters.

But our correspondent says he seems to have thought he had been captured by government militiamen from the much feared shabiha. The militia is dominated by Alawites, members of the president's heterodox Shia sect.

Mr Fares is reported to have offered prayers that would have made him seem a Shia rather than a Sunni - and therefore on their side.

This was heard by ISIS fighters, and in the growing atmosphere of sectarian hatred, he was then subjected to his savage fate, our correspondent adds.

The Daily Telegraph quoted ISIS spokesman Omar al-Qahtani as conceding the error.

According to the newspaper, he alluded to a saying by the Prophet Muhammad that Allah forgives those who kill a believer by mistake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24957195

Last edited by Quatermass; 11-15-13 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Mods fixed title - thanks
Old 11-15-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Should have worn googles! al-Qaeda accidentally beheads one of its own guys...

They beg for forgiveness, I say we should forgive them (for this one). Forgiveness is very important.
(please feel free to kill more of your own guys. We don't have enough drones and Hellfires to get you all.)
Old 11-15-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Should have worn googles! al-Qaeda accidentally beheads one of its own guys...

Another Obama victory!
Old 11-15-13, 09:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
We don't have enough drones and Hellfires to get you all.)

It's ok, we'll make more.
Old 11-15-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Another Obama victory!

And now to spike the football..
Old 11-15-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Should have worn googles! al-Qaeda accidentally beheads one of its own guys...

Usa! Usa! Usa!
Old 11-15-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Should have worn googles! al-Qaeda accidentally beheads one of its own guys...

God is great! God is great! God is greee....oh....wait....w.o.o.p.s.
Old 11-15-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops, yellow snackbar. Duct-tape it back on, Amir, he'll be fine.
Old 11-15-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard the Benny Hill music in my head while I read the article.
Old 11-15-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Oops. My bad."
Old 11-15-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Syrian rebel 'beheaded in case of mistaken identity'
What makes this one stand out, he adds, is that other rebels watching the video recognised the beheaded man
AQ Idiots Video: This head is a bitch to cut off. Motherfucker. Grmphhh. Armphhh! There we go! Look! Look, I say! Only a Devil's head refuses to come off a body like this! But I took it off! Because I was doing god's work!!!

AQ Idiot #1 Watching Video: Hey, that looks familiar.

AQ Idiot #2 Watching Video: It should. It's an Infidel's head! Bwahahaha!

AQ Idiot #3 Watching Video: OMG! It's al-Tayyeb!!!!111666. I don't think Allah will be praised.

AQ Leader: He died.
Old 11-15-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

al-Tawhid's was the intelligence chief, seems like someone forgot to pass along some intelligence.
Old 11-16-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
AQ Idiot #1 Watching Video: Hey, that looks familiar.

AQ Idiot #2 Watching Video: It should. It's an Infidel's head! Bwahahaha!

AQ Idiot #3 Watching Video: OMG! It's al-Tayyeb!!!!111666. I don't think Allah will be praised.

EddieMoney: He died.
Fixed