Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Israel Strikes Syrian Missile Sites, Damascus ...

Old 10-31-13, 08:32 PM
Banned

Israel Strikes Syrian Missile Sites, Damascus ...

CONFIRMED: Israel Launched Strikes On Syrian Missile Sites, Damascus

. By Michael Kelley and Geoffrey Ingersoll | Business Insider 4 hours ago

i24tvnews via Channel 2

The targeted anti-aircraft missile site near Latakia

U.S. officials have confirmed that Israel struck Syrian missile sites in two different locations late Wednesday, reports CNN.

The sites, one in the port city of Latakia and another in Damascus, allegedly contained surface to air missile systems said to be slated for delivery to Hezbollah in Lebanon.

The strikes took out SA-8 anti-aircraft missiles, The Times of Israel reports. The SA-8 system is a truck-mounted, and highly mobile, but with low-altitude and short range capabilities.

The Times of Israel and The Jerusalem Post, citing satellite images obtained by Channel 2, reports that Russian-made Neva S-125 surface-to-air anti-aircraft missiles and SA-3 missile battery which also includes a command center with radar and antennas to track the missiles and their targets were seen in the area.

Read more:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/israel-suspected-destroying-syrian-air-144608834.html
Old 10-31-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Israel Strikes Syrian Missile Sites, Damascus ...

Fabulous move, Netanyahu. Was there really a pressing threat at this particular moment in the Arab-Israeli continuum?
Old 10-31-13, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Darkman00 View Post
CONFIRMED: Israel Launched Strikes On Syrian Missile Sites, Damascus

. By Michael Kelley and Geoffrey Ingersoll | Business Insider 4 hours ago

i24tvnews via Channel 2

The targeted anti-aircraft missile site near Latakia

U.S. officials have confirmed that Israel struck Syrian missile sites in two different locations late Wednesday, reports CNN.

The sites, one in the port city of Latakia and another in Damascus, allegedly contained surface to air missile systems said to be slated for delivery to Hezbollah in Lebanon.

The strikes took out SA-8 anti-aircraft missiles, The Times of Israel reports. The SA-8 system is a truck-mounted, and highly mobile, but with low-altitude and short range capabilities.

The Times of Israel and The Jerusalem Post, citing satellite images obtained by Channel 2, reports that Russian-made Neva S-125 surface-to-air anti-aircraft missiles and SA-3 missile battery which also includes a command center with radar and antennas to track the missiles and their targets were seen in the area.

Read more:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/israel-suspected-destroying-syrian-air-144608834.html
- Similarly though just posting an article and link, particularly as the first post in a thread, w/o any additional commentary to continue the dialog is discouraged. If it's good enough to post it's worth commenting on as well.
Please abide by this suggestion, which I believe you were aware of previously.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-13, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post

Fabulous move, Netanyahu. Was there really a pressing threat at this particular moment in the Arab-Israeli continuum?
You can think what you want to think .... but Israel will do what it needs to do ... I can assure you of that
Old 10-31-13, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post

Please abide by this suggestion, which I believe you were aware of previously.

Thank you.
I hear you ... and those rules ...

But I don't start threads too often here ... and why should I spoil the headline and the report (which speak for themselves basically) ... I would rather discuss the article and if facts in the later thread's posts.

By the way,

I FULLY support Israel in anything they choose to do, as far as region's politics and country's security is concerned.
Old 11-01-13, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do like the RT headline on this.
Israeli strike on Syrian defense base an attempt to derail peace talks
http://rt.com/op-edge/israel-strikes-syria-peace-057/

No casualties have been reported so not a big deal.
Old 11-01-13, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Maybe that's why the missile strike.

Israel has intercepted packages in the past, which were intended for Hezbollah or other groups.

The US more than likely gave the ok, but will publicly disagree with Israel.

Someday this will bite us big time. The US needs to be consistent both publicly and privately, and stay the fuck out of Arab affairs, and take one side.
Old 11-01-13, 12:13 AM
Banned

Looks like those missiles were Hezbollah-bound SAM-8 ....

Israel would not strike for no reason.... and ya ... - no casualties.

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/isra...se/2013/10/31/

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/brea...ia/2013/10/31/
Old 11-01-13, 12:52 AM
Banned by request

It seems clear to me that Israel has little to gain by actually making peace with their neighbors. They have a superior military force, superior technology, powerful allies, and the sympathy of almost the whole world. Meanwhile, they keep slowly expanding and making settlements. What do they have to gain from making what will at best be a strained peace? This way, they can claim to be the innocent party, cowering under a relentless aggressor, and at the same time be able to make strikes like this without anyone thinking twice about it.

If I were an Israeli politician, peace would be the last thing I want.
Old 11-01-13, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could say the same about the Islamic forces there. If so, why do we keep interfering and trying to impose a peace neither side wants?
Old 11-01-13, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
It seems clear to me that Israel has little to gain by actually making peace with their neighbors. They have a superior military force, superior technology, powerful allies, and the sympathy of almost the whole world. Meanwhile, they keep slowly expanding and making settlements. What do they have to gain from making what will at best be a strained peace? This way, they can claim to be the innocent party, cowering under a relentless aggressor, and at the same time be able to make strikes like this without anyone thinking twice about it.

If I were an Israeli politician, peace would be the last thing I want.
The bolded really has me confused. Were you really referring to Israel there?
Old 11-01-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

You can say that when you live in a country not surrounded by enemies who which to destroy you. You might have a different opinion if you were surrounded by rather unfriendly neighbors.
Old 11-01-13, 12:58 PM
Banned by request

The bolded really has me confused. Were you really referring to Israel there?
You don't think most first world countries support Israel?

Because, let's face it, in politics third world countries don't matter nearly as much.
Old 11-01-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Because, let's face it, in politics third world countries don't matter nearly as much.
I think if it comes down to actually using the military to defend the State of Israel, you can count on one hand the nations that would join the U.S. in that effort.
Old 11-01-13, 01:37 PM
Banned by request

Can sympathy only be defined by military support?
Old 11-01-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Can sympathy only be defined by military support?
Sympathy doesn't mean much when your faced with enemy nations on all sides who wish to see your demise.
Old 11-01-13, 01:52 PM

Whether sympathy is measured by popular sentiment, beliefs of the ruling class, implemented policies, or relevant voting history, I believe there is only a handful of nations where sympathy for Israel exists.
Old 11-01-13, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I think if it comes down to actually using the military to defend the State of Israel, you can count on one hand the nations that would join the U.S. in that effort.
If by "one hand" you mean both hands as well as all the toes, then...yeah.
Old 11-01-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can say that when you live in a country not surrounded by enemies who which to destroy you. You might have a different opinion if you were surrounded by rather unfriendly neighbors.
We aren't?

I find myself cowering in terror nearly every day at the thought of what Mexico and Canada are planning on doing to us.
Old 11-01-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know exactly what you mean -- I have friends in Austin.
Old 11-01-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once again, they wield their power and expect the world to do nothing. They they have the nerve to follow up with "Please abide by this suggestion, which I believe you were aware of previously."
Old 11-02-13, 10:16 AM
Banned

POS ... Obongo and his Dem. admin. ... Muslim arse-kissing Obastard

Big MOUTH, POS

US claims Israel attacked Russian missile shipment in Syria

Americans accused of damaging 'trust between allies' by revealing Latakia air strike

Harriet Sherwood in Jerusalem and agencies theguardian.com, Friday 1 November 2013 14.01 GMT

An F-15I fighter jet taking off at the Hatzerim air force base in southern Israel: the country is believed to have aimed air strikes at missiles bound for Syria's Hezbollah allies in January and May this year. Photograph: Oliver Weiken/EPA

Israeli warplanes have attacked a shipment of Russian missiles inside a Syrian government stronghold, according to US officials. The disclosure could further strain US-Israel relations, which are already under pressure over differences regarding the Iranian nuclear programme.

Neither the Israeli government nor its military made any comment on the US confirmation of an Israeli air strike on a missile base in the city of Latakia early on Thursday, but officials are privately furious at the White House statement.

"This raises very disturbing questions, and affects trust between allies," said one Israeli official. "Sharing information is embedded in the nature of the relationship between Israel and the US. It's like a big pipeline that's open to permanent flow. So disclosing information is a cause for dismay." He declined to comment on whether Israel was responsible for the air strike.

A US official told CNN that Israel targeted the base to prevent weapons being transferred to the Hezbollah militia, the Lebanese group backed by Syria and Iran. The Al-Arabiya network reported that stores of anti-aircraft missiles, which had been destined for Hezbollah, were destroyed in the attack.

Read more:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/01/us-israel-attack-syria-missiles
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old 11-02-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whether sympathy is measured by popular sentiment, beliefs of the ruling class, implemented policies, or relevant voting history, I believe there is only a handful of nations where sympathy for Israel exists.

Well there's the US, and... hmm... maybe... Micronesia!
Old 11-02-13, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Way tah go, US. Just when I thought the leaders of this country couldn't get more pathetic.

If I was Israel, I'd tell the US to fuck off, and then release information about previous US involvement in the area.
Old 11-02-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
If I was Israel, I'd tell the US to fuck off
That's not particularly likely to happen.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.