Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Why is the Tea Party not considered as dangerous as the Communist Party?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-06-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know I am likely take a lot of shit for this thread, but I am honestly interested in perhaps some real analysis.

The Communist party is a far left party that is pretty much illegal in the U.S. For example, in California, school employees can be fired merely for being a member of the Communist party. (Ed. Code section 44932(a)(10).)

In the 50's the paranoia that the Communist Part might infiltrate the federal government was rampant, as we all know from the McCarthy hearings.

The Tea Party is a far right party that has actually infiltrated the federal government and is actively trying to crash the U.S. economy and default on the national debt (I know, that's my interpretation).

Shouldn't the Tea Party be deemed at least as much a threat to the United States as the Communist Party?

I recognize that I am indeed liberal, though more socially liberal than fiscally. It just seems that including the word "patriot" in your party title does not mean you are a patriot to the current form of government.

Where is the difference in treating these two extreme parties differently?

If the mods think this is a "party generalization" thread, you can of course delete. Given how some people are on this forum, I understand if this thread is too confrontational. I just think it is an interesting intellectual issue that Communism is seen as so dangerous that you can be fired for being a member, but not in being a member to a far right party.

Last edited by sherm42; 10-06-13 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-06-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why is the Tea Party not considered as dangerous as the Communist Party?

The short answer is because many more Americans identify with the Tea Party than with the Communist Party.
Old 10-06-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Communist party supports the overthrow of all non-Communist forms of government.

/thread
Old 10-06-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cause they're Real Americans® as opposed to liberal shitheads?
Old 10-06-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

These guys are Commies?

Old 10-06-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Young n00b, it is a crime to actively engage in any organization pursuing the overthrow of the U.S. government. Membership in the Communist party *is* actively engaging to overthrow the government.

Doesn't matter if you don't like the Tea Party, or the GOP, nor does it matter if I don't like the Green Party, the Dems, or any of the Occupy Wall Street folks - ALL of the activities pursued by members of those organizations are working WITHIN the law and within the bounds of the Constitution.... the Commies want to tear down our government, tear up the Consitution, and replace it with a Communist form of government.

Read up on the Smith Act of 1940.
Old 10-06-13, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
The Communist party supports the overthrow of all non-Communist forms of government.

/thread
This, pretty much. There's more to it than that, but this is most of it.
Old 10-06-13, 09:21 PM

Interesting. That makes sense. I sure hope that the Tea Party does not have a hidden unstated agenda to tear down the current government and replace it with whatever it is they think it should be. I'm not one to believe in conspiracies, but I honestly don't know what these people want.
Old 10-06-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sherm42 View Post
I sure hope that the Tea Party does not have a hidden unstated agenda to tear down the current government and replace it with whatever it is they think it should be.
It does most certainly have that agenda, but it's not terribly cloaked.
Old 10-06-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does anyone know what their favorite political party really wants.

Outside of actually being in those special rooms where decisions are made...nope.

You're just a voter and/or a blind monetary means to their end.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-06-13 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-06-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I am likely take a lot of shit for this thread, but I am honestly interested in perhaps some real analysis.

The Communist party is a far left party that is pretty much illegal in the U.S. For example, in California, school employees can be fired merely for being a member of the Communist party. (Ed. Code section 44932(a)(10).)

In the 50's the paranoia that the Communist Part might infiltrate the federal government was rampant, as we all know from the McCarthy hearings.

The Tea Party is a far right party that has actually infiltrated the federal government and is actively trying to crash the U.S. economy and default on the national debt (I know, that's my interpretation).

Shouldn't the Tea Party be deemed at least as much a threat to the United States as the Communist Party?

I recognize that I am indeed liberal, though more socially liberal than fiscally. It just seems that including the word "patriot" in your party title does not mean you are a patriot to the current form of government.

Where is the difference in treating these two extreme parties differently?

If the mods think this is a "party generalization" thread, you can of course delete. Given how some people are on this forum, I understand if this thread is too confrontational. I just think it is an interesting intellectual issue that Communism is seen as so dangerous that you can be fired for being a member, but not in being a member to a far right party.

Very astute---they are comparable. But I think the total number of non-combatants murdered by communist regimes is estimated at about 50-70 million human beings, whereas the Tea Party is only up to about 27 million murdered at this point, so they're not considered quite as dangerous. But you do make a good point, and it's definitely something to keep an eye on.
Old 10-06-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How are you correlating 27 million people murdered to The Tea Party, and how is that number exclusively attributed to them.
Old 10-06-13, 11:42 PM

I could be wrong, but I think that might be sarcasm.

I didn't know that all the opposition to the Communist party was out of empathy for all the poor civilians casualties. I'm sure those poor people were on McCarthy's mind the whole time.

And here I thought the concern that there was an organized group intent on infiltrating the government and destroying America from within by using the government's own laws and rules against itself.
Old 10-06-13, 11:52 PM

Cool. Now I can start my "Why is Obama not considered as dangerous as Hitler?" thread.

I know some people might consider it too confrontational. But I'm just interested in some real analysis.
Old 10-06-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
How are you correlating 27 million people murdered to The Tea Party, and how is that number exclusively attributed to them.
I know almost 20 million were shot by Sarah Palin from her helicopter...
Old 10-07-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Remember, when communists kill people it's because it's an evil philosophy, but when capitalists kill people it's for a greater good.
Old 10-07-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are only considered a "threat" if you operate outside the established political framework.
Old 10-07-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And in the 50's, the so-called Communists in the US were about as much of a threat as flying monkeys.
Old 10-07-13, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

@sherm42

People don't consider the Tea Party dangerous like the Communist Party probably because the Tea Party was not started in a foreign country and has not come to power in nations who are potential threats to us. Had it been that way then people WOULD be worried about members of the Tea Party "infiltrating" our government because concerns would arise about Tea Partiers giving vital secrets to those countries. The people would be worried that these government officials would be using their power to benefit their foreign benefactors.
Old 10-07-13, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good night, and Good Luck.
Old 10-07-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I don't know, 27 million, or zero, or something like that---the point is not the numbers, the important thing is how we FEEL about various ideologies, not their actual record in the real world.
Old 10-07-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I don't know, 27 million, or zero, or something like that---the point is not the numbers, the important thing is how we FEEL about various ideologies, not their actual record in the real world.
It seems to me you're eliding something by comparing the ideology of the American Communist Party to the Tea Party organization. In point of fact, the two organizations have killed an identical number of people (zero). If you want to compare communism as an ideology to whatever it is the Tea Party espouses, I think we first need to define the ideology that underlies the Tea Party.
Old 10-07-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It seems to me you're eliding something by comparing the ideology of the American Communist Party to the Tea Party organization. In point of fact, the two organizations have killed an identical number of people (zero). If you want to compare communism as an ideology to whatever it is the Tea Party espouses, I think we first need to define the ideology that underlies the Tea Party.
Exactly, one would need to define the Tea Party's ideology for the comparison to be valid, and you would need to see if the Tea Party was accepting massive funding from a murderous, totalirian state with the blood of millions on its hands, if Tea Party members were actively involved in espionage under the employ of a foreign power, etc.
Old 10-07-13, 09:02 AM

Interesting. That makes sense. I sure hope that the Tea Party does not have a hidden unstated agenda to tear down the current government and replace it with whatever it is they think it should be. I'm not one to believe in conspiracies, but I honestly don't know what these people want.
I think the Tea Party has a different (wrong IMO) view of what the US Gov't should be doing, especially at the federal level, but I don't think they have any interest in fundamentally changing its structure or the way it functions in terms of separation of powers. The Communist Party is far more radical and the Tea Party is definitely in American movement.

That said, many of their tactics I find to be contrary to the spirit of our democracy, especially as of late regarding the ACA and the shut down. Really not a good thing, and I'm glad Obama is standing firm and not caving, regardless of my thoughts on the ACA and his admin.
Old 10-07-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In my opinion, the Tea Party still respects the US Constitution, thinks the government has been expanding its authority and claiming certain powers that are not enumerated in the constitution and wants to reverse that expansion.

Communist party has no respect for the US Constitution, wants to see it torn up and start from scratch.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.