Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What types of discipline are enforced in your kids' schools?

Old 09-25-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What types of discipline are enforced in your kids' schools?

So I'm bringing this up because I am a bit concerned about the disciplinary procedures in my son's school. He just turned eight and entered the third grade. Outside of their classroom, they have a board with different colored cards for each student. A minor behavioral infraction will result in the child having to flip the card from green to yellow. A second infraction results in the child flipping to white. And a third results in a flip to red, and usually some type of major referral sent home.

The problem I have with this is that I feel that it coddles the child. Especially at the third grade level, I feel that discipline should be handed out firmly and not centered around a card flipping scheme. When I was in third grade, if we misbehaved, we either got sent to the principal's office or got lunch detention. Not warning after warning with an eight year old standing in a hall flipping a card. On top of this, it seems some of the infractions are so minor that the kids don't even take anything away from the supposed misconduct. "I think he/she looked at me wrong, so they had to flip their card!"

Also would like to mention that they require the kids to bring snacks everyday for "snack time." Maybe I'm overreacting, but this is not the third grade I remember. We didn't stop everything for snacks, and we didn't get sent out of the room to flip cards. We were there to learn, and if we chose to disrupt or act the fool, we were punished. Down to the office, no recess, detention, etc. Not this two year old bullshit.

Anyone have any input on the procedures at their schools? What type of discipline do your kids receive in the classroom?

EDIT: And maybe this belongs in Other. Wasn't sure, so apologies in advance to the moderators.
Old 09-25-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What types of discipline are enforced in your kids' schools?

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Outside of their classroom, they have a board with different colored cards for each student. A minor behavioral infraction will result in the child having to flip the card from green to yellow. A second infraction results in the child flipping to white. And a third results in a flip to red...
This sounds like yet another futile attempt to popularize soccer in the United States. It is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. GIVE IT UP!!
Old 09-25-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Elementary school? That system doesn't sound much different than what my teachers did in the early 90s, writing the students name on the board and then adding check marks. Only detention I remember was no recess.

Of course major disruptive behavior usually resulted in a trip to the office right away.
Old 09-25-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Color charts are pretty popular these days. My son is also in 3rd and they use it at his school. The only issue that I have with it is that it's application varies from teacher to teacher. Some teachers can't handle much and their students probably get color flips alot. Last year, my son's 2nd-grade teacher told us that she understands that kids are social beings and, as long as they are not interrupting during instruction time, or distracting the other kids, they can pretty much talk as they please. She was a great teacher and had the right tolerance/temperament for that age. He has had others that were awful.

As for discipline, the parents in our area give a shit, so most of the students will get additional discipline at home.
Old 09-25-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

My take....principals have been given a hell of a lot more red tape, etc. to deal with now and do not have the time for all the discipline problems. As a result, most schools have instituted some program like you describe so that more minor things can be taken care of without the principal.

And you are slowly becoming...."What is it with kids these days? Why, back in my day if you didn't tie your shoes you were beaten with a paddle for 10 minutes, then the principal would make you paddle yourself for another 10 because his hands were tired....sure we did, and we liked it just fine."
Old 09-25-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
My take....principals have been given a hell of a lot more red tape, etc. to deal with now and do not have the time for all the discipline problems. As a result, most schools have instituted some program like you describe so that more minor things can be taken care of without the principal.

And you are slowly becoming...."What is it with kids these days? Why, back in my day if you did tie your shoes you were beaten with a paddle for 10 minutes, then the principal would make you paddle yourself for another 10 because his hands were tired....sure we did, and we liked it just fine."
Good points.
Old 09-25-13, 11:59 AM
Banned

I got paddled in 6th grade for bringing stink bombs to school. I wore 6 pairs of underwear. The principal checked and made me go in the safe and take them off.
Old 09-25-13, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

My daughter just started kindergarten in a public school. They have class rules that all the kids learn: Keep hands to yourself, share, walk not run, be a friend, raise hand to talk, etc.

The discipline system is like this:
First infraction is a reminder
Second infraction is a time out (the teacher says this fixes 99% of all problems)
Third is a detention that usually means they can't play at recess or lunch
and a continual problem is a trip to the principle.

It's day 20 and I'm aware of one kid that went to the principle according to my daughter.

The color thing does sound kind of weak, but I would guess that the card is outside so that when they break a rule they have to go out there and flip and maybe stay out there for a while for what amounts to a time out. I would think making a kid who is acting up get up and walk out of the classroom, flip, and then come back in would be a greater distraction.
Old 09-25-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 09-25-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
My daughter just started kindergarten in a public school. They have class rules that all the kids learn: Keep hands to yourself, share, walk not run, be a friend, raise hand to talk, etc.
Thank God they didn't make us be friends in my day.
Old 09-25-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kids are definitely coddled today like crazy, but on the other extreme they will get suspended for dumb things like drawing a gun or eating a pop tart the wrong way. Of course, they'll probably be taught how to log into facebook on their taxpayer-funded ipads before they learn that 4x3=11.
Old 09-25-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a video on the subject from my kids' Kindergarten class:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mce3yiMF4iQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'd be surprised how many parents will cry foul when their children is disciplined by the school/teacher, that their 'precious' child could never do any wrong and requesting to speak the the principal etc etc. Like someone mentioned the amount of red tape that a teacher/school admin has to go through is insanity.
Old 09-26-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Capital punishment.
Old 09-28-13, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I would think making a kid who is acting up get up and walk out of the classroom, flip, and then come back in would be a greater distraction.
Also, consider that the older kids may flip on their way out of the room.

Maybe this thread could be merged with the home-schooling thread to demonstrate the superiority of public school disciplinary methods in helping prepare kids for life after their school careers end.