Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Old 09-21-13, 01:44 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/21/world/...tle/index.html

This kinda makes me wonder if the Republicans would ever shift their views on gun control if Al-Qaeda members went on shooting rampages in American shopping malls.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 03:01 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Actually, makes me wonder if Democrats would shift their views on gun control.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 03:14 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,279
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

I don't understand shit like this, at all, my wee little mind I suppose.

"The Mujahideen entered #WestgateMall today at around noon and are still inside the mall," the Islamic extremist group said on its Twitter account.
"DEATH TO AMERICANS! But thanks for Twitter #CrazyRespectFoReal"
RichC2 is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 03:16 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Nairobi is a long ways from a US shopping mall. Come over here.

We'll be waiting.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 05:33 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,090
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/21/world/...tle/index.html

This kinda makes me wonder if the Republicans would ever shift their views on gun control if Al-Qaeda members went on shooting rampages in American shopping malls.
They would just reason that we just need more "good people" with guns to stop them.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 06:02 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

As opposed to the argument that if every US citizen were gunless...Al Qaeda would be harmless.

DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 08:35 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Maybe we just need to restrict reporting of these things. Then we wouldn't live in fear of them. We'd be ignorant but happy. Just like a gun control advocate.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 09:53 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/21/world/...tle/index.html

This kinda makes me wonder if the Republicans would ever shift their views on gun control if Al-Qaeda members went on shooting rampages in American shopping malls.
Because Kenya is a vertable Wild West, where any Tom, Dick, or Hamisi can get ahold of a gun...

It is illegal in Kenya to own any type of firearm without a valid gun ownership license as spelled out under the Firearms Act (Cap. 114) Laws of Kenya. Anyone who is 12 years or older can apply to privately own a gun. However, such persons must provide in writing to the Chief Licensing Officer (CLO) stating genuine reason(s) for their need to privately own and carry a firearm. It remains at the discretion of the CLO to make a decision to award, deny or revoke a gun ownership license based on the reason(s) given. Anyone seeking to hold a gun license must pass the most stringent of background checks that probes into their past and present criminal, mental health and well as domestic violence records. Failure to pass one of these checks automatically bars one from being permitted to own a firearm. These checks are regularly repeated and must be continually passed for anyone to continue holding the gun license. Failure to pass any of these checks at any stage, means an automatic and immediate revocation of the issued
license. Once licensed to own a gun, no permit is required in order to carry around a concealed firearm.
Oh wait. Seems a weird place to wave around the bloody dashiki for gun control.
crazyronin is offline  
Old 09-21-13, 10:02 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Those people need government healthcare, specifically, American-style.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 07:51 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,881
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Nairobi is a long ways from a US shopping mall. Come over here.

We'll be waiting.
nice to know you want Americans in harms way just to prove a point
Jason is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 08:02 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
nice to know you want Americans in harms way just to prove a point
you wouldn't?

Hypothetical: Al Qaeda succeeds in a similar mall shooting here in the United States. Result is that you get exactly the type of gun control you want here in this country.

You wouldn't take that deal?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 09:19 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida, one time home of the space shuttle
Posts: 3,278
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

It's already happening here, why do we need Al Qaeda? We have our own American crazy's bringing their terror to public places.
magiccmom is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 10:02 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post
It's already happening here, why do we need Al Qaeda? We have our own American crazy's bringing their terror to public places.
Because Republicans think that fighting terrorism trumps all other rights.

A shooting perpetrated by a mentally unstable person and an organized act of terrorism are two different things.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 10:22 AM
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,323
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

This kinda makes me wonder if the Republicans would ever shift their views on gun control if Al-Qaeda members went on shooting rampages in American shopping malls.
We've already got enough Americans going on shooting rampages and the Repubs won't change their views.
PenguinJoe is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 10:52 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
nice to know you want Americans in harms way just to prove a point
And you aren't attempting to make a point? Aren't YOU the one who is putting Americans in harm's way because you want them unarmed when facing a situation like this?

If you ask me, you're the one who's putting more people in jeopardy before AQ even begins to get an idea about shooting up malls in the US.

Because you'd like Americans disarmed before they even got here.

Great plan, dude.

At least with my statement, some Americans would be armed. Hopefully we'll have more before something like this happens over here.

Unless you'd prefer fighting AQ militants in the US with box cutters. Oh wait, those are probably outlawed from Shopping Malls, too.

Therapy. That's what works, right? Maybe they just had some really shitty parents. Maybe try some of that awesome Liberal Therapy on a group of 15+ AQ killers. If we're lucky, they'll want to recycle and will put down their weapons in lieu of being supplied with organic slippers.

Let me know how that works out for yah.

--

On another note, Israeli Soldiers are in the mall, and we should be finally coming to a close on this mess.

Oh yeah, the Israeli Soldiers have guns.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 11:32 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
We've already got enough Americans going on shooting rampages and the Repubs won't change their views.
but in the context of fighting terrorism and islamic fundamentalists, things might be different.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 02:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

On another terrorist note, 75+ dead in a Christian Church via suicide bombing in Pakistan.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 03:03 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,141
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
On another terrorist note, 75+ dead in a Christian Church via suicide bombing in Pakistan.
Now Democrats are probably going to demand bomb control
General Zod is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 03:35 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 28,984
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Al-Shabab isn't Al Quaeda (yes, I know they have "links") but hey, keep on using a tragedy as an excuse for another silly gun debate...
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 04:07 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 20,914
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

I'm not surprised when this happens. Life is cheap and hopeless in those parts of the world. Most people accept this and make the best of it. But there's always going to be strays who find more hope in higher thought and the possibility of an afterlife.

Same thing is going to continuing happening - anywhere people can't make money and obtain comforts that we're accustomed to over here.

Same thing happens in gangland parts of the USA. Or with the Mexican cartels right now. Don't pretend like this stuff doesn't happen to people who don't care about religion.
Troy Stiffler is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 04:49 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Al-Shabab isn't Al Quaeda (yes, I know they have "links") but hey, keep on using a tragedy as an excuse for another silly gun debate...
Actually, the two groups announced their alliance last year, and it's not just a political motive by Republicans to "link" the two:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16979440

--

The only tragedy is denying the fact weapons can save lives in a world where bad people will use them without hesitation.

Bad people don't care whether you have a weapon or not.

Personally, I'd like good people to have a chance at living.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 05:07 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post
It's already happening here, why do we need Al Qaeda? We have our own American crazy's bringing their terror to public places.
Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
We've already got enough Americans going on shooting rampages and the Repubs won't change their views.
And we always have. Historically this type of thing has happened domestically throughout history and is actually on the decline....just like school shootings. But gun control advocated care much more about what they see on the news in the past week than actually doing research.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 09-22-13, 06:25 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 28,984
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Actually, the two groups announced their alliance last year, and it's not just a political motive by Republicans to "link" the two:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16979440
This "alliance" only occurred because Al-Shabah was going down the crapper after several miscalculations in Somalia and it's leader didn't want to get the boot. Again, while there are links, they are still regarded as a separate terrorist organization.

The only tragedy is denying the fact weapons can save lives in a world where bad people will use them without hesitation.
The tragedy is that people died in another country. Let the Kenyans handle their gun issues and concentrate on your own mass shootings. Trying to score political points based on tragedies occurring in other countries is lame.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-23-13, 07:33 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

We could also have AQ training Al-Shabab and having a few of them in their group. This isn't uncommon. And is it surprising Al-Shabab initiates such an attack like this only after AQ is their backer. It's because they have support, probably with weapons and personnel.

I think I'll say that you and I disagree.

But here's what's more disturbing:

Kenyan official: ‘Two or three Americans’ among the gunmen at Nairobi mall
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-24-13, 06:51 AM
  #25  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,988
Re: Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Kenyan Mall Massacre

This article from the Daily Mail is either right or wrong.

If it's right, then why has the U.S. media ignored it?

If it's wrong, well hey - it''s the Daily Mail!


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-ran-amok.html

British hero of the mall massacre: Ex Royal Marine with a handgun saved 100 lives as terrorists ran amok

September 23, 2013

A former marine emerged as a hero of the Nairobi siege yesterday after he was credited with saving up to 100 lives.

The ex soldier was having coffee at the Westgate mall when it was attacked by Islamists on Saturday.

With a gun tucked into his waistband, he was pictured helping two women from the complex.

The former soldier is said to have returned to the building on a dozen occasions, despite intense gunfire.

A friend in Nairobi said: ‘What he did was so heroic. He was having coffee with friends when it happened.

‘He went back in 12 times and saved 100 people. Imagine going back in when you knew what was going on inside.’



Our saviour: The soldier, whose gun is circled, helps two women to safety. His identity has been protected for security reasons
grundle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.