Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Question on Christian denominations

Old 09-16-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question on Christian denominations

I've seen the members of Duck Dynasty say that their harshest critics are other Christians, and surfing around a little, I see examples of that. It appears to be a difference in perspective that I as a Roman Catholic don't quite understand. At least a part of it stems from the Robertson belief in baptism. Phil has talked about having baptized almost a thousand people in the river behind his house.

The Robertsons are members of the Church of Christ, not Southern Baptist like you might think of a Louisiana family. As far as I can tell, CoC is entirely based around the New Testament teachings and that's it.

So what is the problem between other Christian groups and CoC?
Old 09-16-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Question on Christian denominations

According to the fundies, Catholics aren't Christians. A google search will reveal everything from straightforward arguments for this position

http://carm.org/is-catholicism-christian

to condescending drivel

http://www.gotquestions.org/Catholic-Christian.html

to the comically ridiculous

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp
Old 09-16-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Emo Phillips
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
Old 09-16-13, 09:26 PM
Banned

The Bible directly addresses the futility of denominations to begin with, because they divide people who are supposed to be following Christ above all else. The term "Christian" was actually coined as a derogatory term by people in Antioch.
Old 09-16-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
I've seen the members of Duck Dynasty say that their harshest critics are other Christians, and surfing around a little, I see examples of that. It appears to be a difference in perspective that I as a Roman Catholic don't quite understand. At least a part of it stems from the Robertson belief in baptism. Phil has talked about having baptized almost a thousand people in the river behind his house.

The Robertsons are members of the Church of Christ, not Southern Baptist like you might think of a Louisiana family. As far as I can tell, CoC is entirely based around the New Testament teachings and that's it.

So what is the problem between other Christian groups and CoC?
From what I remember CoC believes Baptism is a requirement to get to heaven. Therefore it's a salvation through works kind of thing. Which is anathema to the sola fide crowd.
Old 09-16-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen the members of Duck Dynasty say that their harshest critics are other Christians
Old 09-16-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love that joke, JasonF.
Old 09-16-13, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I love that joke, JasonF.
Wait, I thought he was deceased?
Old 09-16-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Didn't you hear? He was risen three posts later.
Old 09-16-13, 10:13 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
The Bible directly addresses the futility of denominations to begin with, because they divide people who are supposed to be following Christ above all else. The term "Christian" was actually coined as a derogatory term by people in Antioch.
Denominations wouldn't be necessary if everyone interpreted the Bible in the same way. It's a shame that god had to go and make his holy books so muddy and open to differing opinions.
Old 09-16-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Didn't you hear? He was risen three posts later.
Old 09-16-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
From what I remember CoC believes Baptism is a requirement to get to heaven. Therefore it's a salvation through works kind of thing. Which is anathema to the sola fide crowd.
sola fide?
Old 09-16-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stupid Protestants and their belief that man can interpret the bible. Stupid schism. Babel all over again!
Old 09-17-13, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Stupid Protestants and their belief that man can interpret the bible. Stupid schism. Babel all over again!
Speaking of the Tower of Babel, why hasn't God struck us down for building airplanes? They go much higher and closer to "heaven" than any tower ever possibly could. Or heck spaceships...

So God strikes down man for building a tower to reach the heavens, even though a tower that tall is completely illogical in the first place, but yet we build airplanes and spaceships and God does not nothing?
Old 09-17-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Speaking of the Tower of Babel, why hasn't God struck us down for building airplanes? They go much higher and closer to "heaven" than any tower ever possibly could. Or heck spaceships...

So God strikes down man for building a tower to reach the heavens, even though a tower that tall is completely illogical in the first place, but yet we build airplanes and spaceships and God does not nothing?
Actually the whole issue with the Tower of Babel was not so simple. Yes, man wanted to reach the Heavens to establish a Kingdom there. Basically, making man akin to God. Then there was the issue that the tribes of men were all gathering in that single part of the world, in violation of God's command for mankind to spread across the entire Earth.

So God confused the languages and everyone split off into groups and abandoned the project. So it had more to do with man not going according to God's plan to spread themselves across the entire planet than with them trying to reach the heavens. The latter being pointless since God is a spirit and therefor "Heaven" would actually be a spiritual place rather than a physical one.
Old 09-17-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, in hindsight, it actually was simple but the whole reaching Heaven bit was not the problem.
Old 09-17-13, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer View Post

God commanded humanity to spread across the Earth, but instead, most of them focused on trying to make a name for themselves in deliberate rebellion against Him. As the Creator, His Word is final, whether we like it or not...and disobedience has its consequences. I like what Jesse Duplantis said about Babel...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RRaCHGx55dQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-17-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sola fide?
google?
Old 09-17-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
google?
plenary indulgences?
Old 09-17-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't Jesse Duplantis a "prosperity gospel" guy. If so, it pretty much makes him a clown.
Old 09-17-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-17-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Isn't Jesse Duplantis a "prosperity gospel" guy. If so, it pretty much makes him a clown.
What is "prosperity gospel"?
Old 09-17-13, 09:54 AM

God commanded humanity to spread across the Earth, but instead, most of them focused on trying to make a name for themselves in deliberate rebellion against Him. As the Creator, His Word is final, whether we like it or not...and disobedience has its consequences. I like what Jesse Duplantis said about Babel...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RRaCHGx55dQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Mod Note: Again, you have been told that these fora are not video hosting sites or link farms. We want discussion not the constant posting of videos. Regardless of your reasoning, please refrain from continuing this practice.
Old 09-17-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is "prosperity gospel"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

In short, the position and teaching that God wants you to be "prosperous", both in health and wealth, and that if you aren't, it is because you do not have enough faith. It is a common teaching of many/most televangelists.
Old 09-17-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

In short, the position and teaching that God wants you to be "prosperous", both in health and wealth, and that if you aren't, it is because you do not have enough faith.
With all those riches I thought The Vatican was Catholic. Silly me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.