Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Miss America backlash

Old 09-16-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Miss America backlash

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c4

Why is everyone so afraid of Diversity? The comments show the stupidity of a lot of people here in America. Really 7/11 comments? Terrorist comments? Her dad is a doctor and that is what she aspires to be. She was born in America. I feel for her that she is dealing with all this backlash.
Old 09-16-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Miss America backlash

It's a beauty contest and she's very beautiful. Otherwise, America is full of racist assholes, is this news?

Old 09-16-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Before we accuse others of racism, let's take a closer look at the judges who made her Miss America, and their motives and personal agendas.
Old 09-16-13, 09:40 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

You mean they let stupid people use the internets? What is the world coming to?
Old 09-16-13, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Before we accuse others of racism, let's take a closer look at the judges who made her Miss America, and their motives and personal agendas.
Can you elaborate on this? Not quite sure what you mean. Has this been expected in any of the other years for any of the other choices?
Old 09-16-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's beside the point. Does a woman have to be of a European ethnicity to be Miss America? The poster was criticizing the public reaction not that someone else was robbed of the title.
Old 09-16-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...No matter what the "agenda" of the judges is, it has absolutely zero correlation with how individuals unrelated to the judges reacted.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...american-woman
Old 09-16-13, 09:50 AM

So if the judges all conspired to crown a woman of Indian descent, that makes the racist response acceptable?
Old 09-16-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
...No matter what the "agenda" of the judges is, it has absolutely zero correlation with how individuals unrelated to the judges reacted.

Actually, it has correlation with demonstrating that personal agendas have no boundaries...even if you're a Miss America judge.

The pageant is a joke anyway, so I could care less, but to accuse the commentators and not hold the judges to more criticism, is interesting.
Old 09-16-13, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post

This is a better link to the reaction than what I posted. I know the stupidity of people, but yet it always amazes me. Maybe that makes me just as stupid.
Old 09-16-13, 09:52 AM

Criticize the judges for what exactly? What did they do wrong?
Old 09-16-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When did the judges call and Indian an Arab or an Arab an Indian? Did they call the whites "non-al Qaida" contestants?
Old 09-16-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently, they engaged in reverse racism (a meaningless term BTW)??
Old 09-16-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
So if the judges all conspired to crown a woman of Indian descent, that makes the racist response acceptable?
Of course it's not acceptable, but considering the amount of varying opinion on the web, and the very limited numbers of comments made which are not appropriate...are we implying these commentators represent America?

I think not.

Some may wish they represent America with one nice brush...to further their own agenda of America Is Racist!, so more legislation can be made, more funding to certain groups, more hate speech from particular leaders to their own community, political parties using generalizations to prove what needs to be done for the better of society, etc.
Old 09-16-13, 09:59 AM

Who exactly is saying that these commentators represent America?
Old 09-16-13, 10:08 AM

Of course it's not acceptable, but considering the amount of varying opinion on the web, and the very limited numbers of comments made which are not appropriate...are we implying these commentators represent America?

I think not.

Some may wish they represent America with one nice brush...to further their own agenda of America Is Racist!, so more legislation can be made, more funding to certain groups, more hate speech from particular leaders to their own community, political parties using generalizations to prove what needs to be done for the better of society, etc.
So to be clear, are you saying the judges picked her so that their would be backlash, and that we could all say America is racist, and that would be the judges intentions? I'm trying to understand why you brought the question of the judges "agenda" in to this conversation.
Old 09-16-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why even give the comments the respect of being within a news article. Second, these are comments coming off a comments page, where no one is what they seem to be, and I'm surprised they are even allowed, and not to mention being quoted as a news source.

"Miss 7-11" or "Terrorist", shouldn't even be given be acknowledgment, but it looks like this will be an entire commentary piece by select news agencies in the coming future to further their own agendas and repeat them to the public.

It seems like a few comments are selectively chosen to prove a point. I've observed good comments as well, but those were willingly overlooked. But by far, most of the commentary is just slamming political jabs back and forth.

My advice to all news agencies, is to remove their comments areas. We have enough crap floating around on social networking sites. We can't prove the comments are made by specific person, and we shouldn't be using those comments as a confirmation or a denial.

The comments made by actual people such as Todd Starnes wasn't racist from what I've seen. But Todd can't seriously think everyone hunts deer, drives a truck to work, and owns a home with an American Flag flying from a pole. It's part of America, but it isn't all of it.

magiccmom,

The point is, everyone is NOT afraid of diversity, and very very few are actually racist.

Let's not let the news media feed the fears of the few who believe it so.
Old 09-16-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Who's more racist? The racists or...

Oh wait, no. It's the racists.
Old 09-16-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

at DVD Polizei successfully trolling everybody here and in the Bad Cop thread.
Old 09-16-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Note to self

In order to fix Americas racial problems :

☑ No more Miss Americas of Indian descent
☑ No more interracial couples in Cheerios commercials
☑ No more White Hispanic choice in the census

To be continued..................
Old 09-16-13, 10:49 AM

Why even give the comments the respect of being within a news article. Second, these are comments coming off a comments page, where no one is what they seem to be, and I'm surprised they are even allowed, and not to mention being quoted as a news source.

"Miss 7-11" or "Terrorist", shouldn't even be given be acknowledgment, but it looks like this will be an entire commentary piece by select news agencies in the coming future to further their own agendas and repeat them to the public.

It seems like a few comments are selectively chosen to prove a point. I've observed good comments as well, but those were willingly overlooked. But by far, most of the commentary is just slamming political jabs back and forth.

My advice to all news agencies, is to remove their comments areas. We have enough crap floating around on social networking sites. We can't prove the comments are made by specific person, and we shouldn't be using those comments as a confirmation or a denial.

The comments made by actual people such as Todd Starnes wasn't racist from what I've seen. But Todd can't seriously think everyone hunts deer, drives a truck to work, and owns a home with an American Flag flying from a pole. It's part of America, but it isn't all of it.

magiccmom,

The point is, everyone is NOT afraid of diversity, and very very few are actually racist.

Let's not let the news media feed the fears of the few who believe it so.
Actually they were tweets directed on a # to Miss America..so she was getting bombarded with them enough that she had to respond. They weren't just comments on the article page. I understand you think the media fans these flames, or are they just reporting on what happens? What comes first, the chicken or the egg?
Old 09-16-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't read comments to articles on news sites. It will not improve your life.
Old 09-16-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I don't read comments to articles on news sites. It will not improve your life.
They are so entertaining though. Youtube comments are great as well. I always read them to see how long it takes before somebody posts something horribly racist, hint: it's always the first page.
Old 09-16-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh, the old "cramming multiculturalism down our throats" argument. Wonderful.
Old 09-16-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think not.

I think you just manufactured this outrage.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.