Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: I understand what this thread is about
2
11.11%
16
88.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Old 09-11-13, 04:27 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 55
What you you like to think of Jesus like?

A 8 pound, 6 ounce baby?
A bum?
Sigh is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 04:28 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,522
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

A handsome white man with long flowing hair who preached in Elizabethan English.
Groucho is online now  
Old 09-11-13, 04:28 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,563
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

I like to think about how difficult it is to control myself while posting under the influence of drugs.

Nausicaa is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 04:33 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
A handsome white man with long flowing hair who preached in Elizabethan English.
And don't forget the perfect pearly white teeth.

That's exactly what a poor carpenter who was born in and lived his entire life in the Middle East would have looked and sounded like.
taffer is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 04:45 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Max Bottomtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Torrance, California
Posts: 4,461
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

He he think like Graham Chapman like.
Max Bottomtime is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 04:52 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Jesus must have seemed like somewhat of a walking contradiction in His years on Earth. At first glance, some of His statements seem to conflict, like saying "no one comes to the Father but by Me", and then "I and the Father are one."

To me, His historical ministry is a bit confusing sometimes, but I still stand by Him, for one simple reason: no other spiritual leader has ever offered undeserved grace, or paid my penalty so I don't have to.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 05:05 PM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
no other spiritual leader has ever offered undeserved grace, or paid my penalty so I don't have to.
No other spiritual leader has ever suffered and died for what he believed in. None I tell you! None! Jesus was unique in that regard!

taffer is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 05:11 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. The hair on his head white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes like blazing fire. His feet like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice like the sound of rushing waters.

Of course, he looked a little different back in the day.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 05:19 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Syntax! Syntax!
creekdipper is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 05:23 PM
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,876
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
To me, His historical ministry is a bit confusing sometimes, but I still stand by Him.
Wow, what a great Freudian slip. I'm pretty sure I'm not nip-picking here, but how nice of you to stand by Him despite his confusing teachings.

I always find it hilarious when an accused murder's family members make a statement that "Despite the accusation, I still stand by Him", because there is an implied pity in how great the individual is in extending his pity for a flawed accused. Here you are a great Christian is extending your pity in standing by Jesus despite his history of confusing ministry. Good luck explaining this sentence when you see him sometime in the future.
SuperJim88 is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 05:29 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,954
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

If Jesus did exist he would probably look similar to one of these individuals :

inri222 is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 05:47 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,915
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
I still stand by Him, for one simple reason: no other spiritual leader has ever offered undeserved grace, or paid my penalty so I don't have to.
See, I man-up and pay my own penalties.


And then mostly cry and apologize while blowing snot-bubbles. But at least I do it like a man!
Navinabob is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 05:48 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,915
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Honestly, the current Pope is the closest I see right now.
Navinabob is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:07 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
See, I man-up and pay my own penalties.
You can't; no one can measure up to God's standard no matter how hard they try. Any sin is equal of eternal separation from God, so we all needed a Savior who could do for us what we never could for ourselves.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:09 PM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
No other spiritual leader has ever suffered and died for what he believed in. None I tell you! None! Jesus was unique in that regard!

Belief doesn't mean near as much as truth. Someone can believe that Earth is triangular with a neon green sky full of bubbles, but they'd be wrong.

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Wow, what a great Freudian slip. I'm pretty sure I'm not nip-picking here, but how nice of you to stand by Him despite his confusing teachings.

I always find it hilarious when an accused murder's family members make a statement that "Despite the accusation, I still stand by Him", because there is an implied pity in how great the individual is in extending his pity for a flawed accused. Here you are a great Christian is extending your pity in standing by Jesus despite his history of confusing ministry. Good luck explaining this sentence when you see him sometime in the future.
Accusations don't equal guilt; that's determined by facts and evidence.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:26 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,362
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

I'd like to think he's just a slob like one of us. You know, just a stranger on the bus, trying to make his way home. Nobody calling him on the phone, except for the Pope maybe, in Rome.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:34 PM
  #17  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

I think of him mainly as [redacted].

Once you see him that way, everything becomes clear.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:36 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,915
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
You can't; no one can measure up to God's standard no matter how hard they try. Any sin is equal of eternal separation from God, so we all needed a Savior who could do for us what we never could for ourselves.
I do to my God, and my God is bigger then yours.
Navinabob is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:37 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Belief doesn't mean near as much as truth. Someone can believe that Earth is triangular with a neon green sky full of bubbles, but they'd be wrong.
The irony...

You believe the Bible is true, but your belief doesn't make it so.

BTW I'm still waiting on you to explain when God ever proved his existence. I asked twice in that other thread, and you ignored me both times.
taffer is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:38 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,432
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

I alway thought Jesus would have been a really cool guy with crazy ideas that everyone listened to. Like be nice to one another and stop stealing my sandals! He wouldn't have been white. Probably dark-skinned with kinky hair. Eventually, he ends up getting killed because of his wacky ideas.

Centuries later, religion turns him into the "son of god" and creates a billion dollar industry to keep the masses in line. I'm sure this Jesus would have been pissed if he knew this would happen. Hell, the fictional Jesus would probably be pissed too with some of the shit people do and say in his name.
The Valeyard is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:38 PM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
I do to my God, and my God is bigger then yours.
Its a <s>dick</s> God measuring contest! My God is bigger than both of yours!
taffer is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:41 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,915
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Its a <s>dick</s> God measuring contest! My God is bigger than both of yours!
Oh really? Prove it Hatetheist!
Navinabob is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:47 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,432
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

I worship Odin the All-Father. His son has a hammer. Suck on that, Jesus.
The Valeyard is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 06:59 PM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
I worship Odin the All-Father. His son has a hammer. Suck on that, Jesus.


taffer is offline  
Old 09-11-13, 07:01 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,915
Re: What you you like to think of Jesus like?

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
I worship Odin the All-Father. His son has a hammer. Suck on that, Jesus.
Navinabob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.