Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Evangelism - Positive and Negative

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Has Evangelism worked on you?
Yes: I changed Religious group affiliation
2.38%
No
90.48%
other: Explain
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Evangelism - Positive and Negative

Old 09-20-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Evangelism - Positive and Negative

Originally Posted by Vlyger View Post
Plenty of resources already exist to do the job: the Internet, Television, Radio, Print, and Churches.
Agreed. I don't care for the salesman approach either.

They need to get off their high horse and realize that they are no better than anyone else. We are all human.
Right on again. Being a believer means admitting how fallen you are, and living humbly and honestly.

Spirituality has to actually come from within the individual, it cannot be forced upon by others. Either the person has spirituality or they don't.
Man, you're nailing it here... absolutely true. All we can do is share our faith with others - the rest is between you and The Lord.

A text which teaches to think with your heart instead of your mind/brain? I don't think so;
The Bible teaches the opposite "the heart is deceitful.." If you don't mind my asking - how much of it have you read?

I choose personal freedom over any form of enslavement.
Me too, which is why I chose to follow Christ.

Each of us have our own minds to come to our own conclusions, whether rational or irrational.
Doesn't get much clearer than that - great summary. You have some really good insights - I think you may be closer to Christ than you realize.

One point I really want to get across - is that there's a difference between being religious and being a person of faith. "Religion" is not necessarily a good thing - that's what non-denominational Churches teach. (which is how I was raised) Religion makes rules about what you eat/drink, look like, in general the outer appearance. Unfortunately a lot of Churches have fallen into that trap... and that gets associated with being Biblical, when in many cases it really isn't.

Just look at the current Pope for example - "religious" people are upset he's breaking tradition, getting too close to ordinary people, etc. Look at how he washed and kissed the feet of prisoners, meets face to face with the crowds, refuses fancier transportation and housing - that's an example of the Christ I follow.