Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Christian Radio Hosts: Gays commit half the murders in large cities

Old 08-31-13, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Christian Radio Hosts: Gays commit half the murders in large cities

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor"... isn't that one of the Ten Commandments?

The hosts of a controversial Christian radio show that often touches on the subject of homosexuality have become the latest anti-gay propagandists to repeat a shockingly inaccurate claim about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Speaking during the Aug. 24 episode of Minnesota-based radio show "The Sons of Liberty," co-hosts Bradlee Dean and Jake McMillan both repeated a startling claim: that homosexuals are responsible for half of all murders committed in large cities.

Dean, founder and executive director of nonprofit Christian youth organization You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International, told listeners that he was quoting from a New York City judge named John Martagh. The Huffington Post later learned the quote came from a 1992 newspaper column cited from time to time in anti-gay rhetoric.

Stated casually, and with an almost comical lack of context, Dean’s assertion implies that the LGBT population -- estimated between 1.7 and 3.4 percent of the population -- has a dramatically high murder rate compared to the straight population.

McMillan then argued, and Dean agreed, that the allegedly sky-high proportion of murderers in the LGBT community is possible due to the inherent immorality of same-sex orientation. McMillian explained in the episode that the LGBT community is more likely to include homicidal members because “when a person’s mind has gone to that extent of committing an abominable act [like homosexuality], sin, it shows what else they are capable of."

It's important to note that other conservatives have used this so-called statistic about homosexuality and murder, usually bundling it with a series of similarly dubious "facts" that allege homosexuals are often child molesters and pedophiles. These statements have been parroted across the Internet and were referenced on Facebook earlier this year by a Michigan GOP official. In each instance, the figures are attributed to the same 1992 column, written by Dr. J. Kaifetz for The Post-Tribune newspaper of Gary, Ind.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3830760.html
Old 08-31-13, 02:54 AM
Banned

Re: Christian Radio Hosts: Gays commit half the murders in large cities

I'd like to know why these guys chose to use a 20-year-old newspaper for their launchpad, instead of investigating the actual numbers. Comments like theirs are just as bad as other false stuff like "God hates gays", or "all Christians are stupid". So-called "blanket statements" are usually spiritually destructive and morally reprehensible.
Old 08-31-13, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So what is the real percentage?
Old 08-31-13, 04:34 AM
Banned by request

Shockingly, it's actually 110%!

Also, I find it funny how many groups with "liberty" in their name are seeking to deny people rights.
Old 08-31-13, 05:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Shockingly, it's actually 110%!

Also, I find it funny how many groups with "liberty" in their name are seeking to deny people rights.
Please don't take away my liberty to deny you your liberty.
Old 08-31-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's true. I myself have personally murdered 17 people in the last month alone.
Old 08-31-13, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
There's a mom in Canada dropping a dime on you right now.

Last edited by hilts; 08-31-13 at 09:57 AM. Reason: bad spelling, as usual
Old 08-31-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Yeah, you noticed that, too, huh?

"Freedom" and "patriot" have also become red flags.
Old 08-31-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Wow. You must have one of those AIDS rings Pat Robertson warned us about!
Old 08-31-13, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
I'd like to know why these guys chose to use a 20-year-old newspaper for their launchpad
Whole bunch of folks like to use something written by man around 2000 years ago for their launchpads.
Old 08-31-13, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Wow. You must have one of those AIDS rings Pat Robertson warned us about!
Don't forget about the angel rape! The people of Sodom were so badass they could rape angels. That would be like us today raping Superman.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QC_TgTSGvPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-31-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

I thought the real statistic was that half of the murders of homosexuals in large cities were committed by Christian radio hosts.

I stand corrected.

(For our more literal-minded and/or humorless members, this was intended as a joke even if you don't think it's funny.)
Old 08-31-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jesus loves you, so you better accept him or else god will so kill you...
Old 08-31-13, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Whole bunch of folks like to use something written by man around 2000 years ago for their launchpads.
Last time I checked, modern news articles don't claim to be inspired by God, or have thousands of manuscripts as evidence to support them, either.

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
God won't completely destroy unrepentant sinners in eternity, because He still loves them. He will, however, quarantine them from everyone else.
Old 08-31-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

God won't completely destroy unrepentant sinners in eternity, because He still loves them. He will, however, quarantine them from everyone else.
Your name isn't Pennsatucky, is it?
Old 08-31-13, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Time to bring out my favorite sign...

So instead of simply causing sinners to cease to exist, he will torture them for all eternity... because he loves them...

What kind of logic is that.

Jesus loves you so much he will torture you forever instead of allowing you to just die.
Old 08-31-13, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Duh bible tells me so kind.
Old 08-31-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Time to bring out my favorite sign...

And they misspelled "unconditional"
Old 08-31-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So instead of simply causing sinners to cease to exist, he will torture them for all eternity... because he loves them...

Jesus loves you so much he will torture you forever instead of allowing you to just die.
Yeah, that's idiotic. That basically means that God would turn the gift of life into a curse.

I'm actually beginning to believe that moviefan2k4 is not a Christian but a troll with too much time on his hands that likes to play at being the crazy sort of so-called Christian. He might actually be one of those Hatetheists dvdjunkie warned us about. If we all (Christian and Atheist alike) would have only listened to him while we had the chance...

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
And they misspelled "unconditional"
That's actually pretty clever since they never actually said His love was unconditional. You can't accuse them of lying to you.

But all kidding aside, God's love comes with plenty of conditions. It says so in the Bible. And He's not above killing those that piss Him off (though the Bible makes it out to be that most those He had killed really had it coming, though some seemed like definite exceptions but I wasn't there so whatever) or sending his loyal servants to do the actual killing. Again, also in the Bible.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-31-13 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. I have little interest in religion.

Pundits are all pigs. They do not deserve attention. And are a detriment to civility. They should be ignored and treated like the trolls they are.
Old 09-01-13, 10:59 AM
Banned

Hell is not a place of torture, but torment. The former is inflicted from outside, the latter from inside. Many metaphors are used to describe the fate of those who reject God, and at first glance they appear to conflict. For example, words like "fire" and "flame" indicate heat and light, but another verse uses "outer darkness". The only abundantly clear description in Scripture is that God won't allow unrepentant sinners into His eternal presence. Hell is basically an everlasting quarantine, separating some people from all which would remind them of God. The horror lies in them never having any kind of peace, rest, or joy, because God created all of that.
Old 09-01-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that's much better then.
Old 09-01-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

I think I have to be against gay marriage then, because the statistics now prove that there is a murderer in every gay marriage. And statistics don't lie.
Old 09-01-13, 11:49 AM
Banned

Hell is not a place of torture, but torment. The former is inflicted from outside, the latter from inside. Many metaphors are used to describe the fate of those who reject God, and at first glance they appear to conflict. For example, words like "fire" and "flame" indicate heat and light, but another verse uses "outer darkness". The only abundantly clear description in Scripture is that God won't allow unrepentant sinners into His eternal presence. Hell is basically an everlasting quarantine, separating some people from all which would remind them of God. The horror lies in them never having any kind of peace, rest, or joy, because God created all of that.
God also created Hell and pain and torment. God created everything. So if God separates sinners from things which remind them of God, then sinners won't go to Hell because Hell is a reminder of God. The only thing that wouldn't be a reminder of God would be nothingness, just ceasing to exist period.

See, its just one enormous contradiction no matter how much crap you pull out to try and explain it.
Old 09-01-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

before you go to hell, do you actually get a chance to go before God and argue your case? maybe get your sentence reduced? instead of spending all of eternity in hell because you stole a piece of candy you could just go sit in the corner for a little while.

otherwise, Heaven sounds a lot like North Korea.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.