Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Welfare: A Better Deal than Work

Old 08-22-13, 12:31 PM

Re: Welfare: A Better Deal than Work

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
2. Because it is what they know, people get used to the lower-quality food, accommodations, etc. that these programs might provide. (Who cares if the apartment I can get with housing assistance is a shithole? Shithole apartments are what I know, what I grew up with, etc.) This can lead to lower expectations, goals, dreams, etc. and a higher likelihood of the next person being on these programs also.
This is a great point, but it also goes against the "People on welfare are buying lobster and watching big screen TV's!!!" 'narrative' we've seen in other threads.

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Was she a Mormon? Lots of them in Utah collecting welfare.
Maybe. I wasn't aware there were many Mormons around here.
Old 08-22-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This is a great point, but it also goes against the "People on welfare are buying lobster and watching big screen TV's!!!" 'narrative' we've seen in other threads.
In Mass, it would be a big improvement if needy welfare recipients were buying lobster and watching big screen TVs. Here, they're actually dead. You know it's bad when the completely Democrat-controlled legislature is getting outraged:

http://www.masslive.com/business-new..._most-comments
Old 08-22-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Nah. Let's suck up some of that sweet sweet hedge fund/investment bank/general asshole money and stop spending $1.5 trillion a year on defense and we'd be able to guarantee every adult citizen $25,000 a year.
Sweet. We can have no defense at all and it will be a utopia.
Old 08-22-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Sweet. We can have no defense at all and it will be a utopia.
It works for Starfleet.
Old 08-22-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-22-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, waiting in those lines to get welfare must be tough. I feel so bad for the people in front of me in line at the grocery store. They have to slide their gold chains out of the way to reach their tattoo covered hands into their pocket to take out food stamps to pay for groceries they are about to load into their lifted SUVs. The welfare system was created to help those displaced by the Great Depression. Anyone using it now is simply living off the taxpayer dole. They're lucky I'm not Czar of Amerika.
Old 08-22-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Yeah, waiting in those lines to get welfare must be tough. I feel so bad for the people in front of me in line at the grocery store. They have to slide their gold chains out of the way to reach their tattoo covered hands into their pocket to take out food stamps to pay for groceries they are about to load into their lifted SUVs. The welfare system was created to help those displaced by the Great Depression. Anyone using it now is simply living off the taxpayer dole. They're lucky I'm not Czar of Amerika.
I tried to make the same joke on the previous page, but you have clearly outdone me. I tip my hat to you.
Old 08-22-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this discussion an example of that "class warfare" I keep hearing about? Cause it sure sounds like a social class is being attacked based on some skewed numbers released without documentation by a biased think tank.
Old 08-22-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Is this discussion an example of that "class warfare" I keep hearing about? Cause it sure sounds like a social class is being attacked based on some skewed numbers released without documentation by a biased think tank.
It sure sounds like that?
Old 08-22-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
"baised" meaning "not my think tank of choice."
Old 08-22-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
"baised" meaning "not my think tank of choice."
You obviously must support maximum salaries.
Old 08-22-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You do know poor people can get credit cards, right?
Old 08-22-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does any place give out actual stamps anymore, or is it all EBT cards?
Old 08-22-13, 09:58 PM

How they game the system is Mom and Baby Daddy or new replacement for Baby Daddy are not married. He works, she doesn't so she can get all benefits. He doesn't live there wink wink so she is still getting all benefits.

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Nah. Let's suck up some of that sweet sweet hedge fund/investment bank/general asshole money and stop spending $1.5 trillion a year on defense and we'd be able to guarantee every adult citizen $25,000 a year.
And this is the problem, neither side wants to cut their pet projects, just things they claim are the other sides pork. Republicans always want to cut Social Programs and Democrats always want to cut Defense. How about we try the novel approach of doing both. Funny how the dreaded "Sequester" hasn't caused the gloom and doom that was predicted for various reasons on both sides of the aisle.
Old 08-22-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I want more crackers with all this cheese I have in my freezer.
Old 08-22-13, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You do know poor people can get credit cards, right?
I've been poor most of my life. Credit cards were part of the reason for that. I never took any government handouts.
I used to play basketball at the parks during my vacations. There were always able-bodied people there playing, except on the first and fifteenth of each month.
I had friends and a few relatives who got food stamps. They were all able to work to support themselves and their families but chose not to because the government paid them to not work.
Old 08-22-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been poor most of my life. Credit cards were part of the reason for that. I never took any government handouts.
I used to play basketball at the parks during my vacations. There were always able-bodied people there playing, except on the first and fifteenth of each month.
I had friends and a few relatives who got food stamps. They were all able to work to support themselves and their families but chose not to because the government paid them to not work.
Boy, aren't you bitter.

Does it pain you to see these people "work the system" as you claim they are? Maybe they're drug dealers or are committing some kind of illegal fraud? Next time you see some guy with gold chains and a souped up SUV paying with an EBT card ask him about it.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-23-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-23-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Oh they have the big screens... their the cheap brands and may have some scratches on the screen... but they do have them.
Old 08-28-13, 03:59 PM
Banned

For single mother with many kids ... MORE LIKELY (re: subject matter)
Old 08-28-13, 04:15 PM
Banned

I know here in Chicago you can live anywhere you want on section 8 housing.
If they have a place for rent near Wrigley Field which is high rent they can live there on tax payers money.

Last edited by Groucho; 08-28-13 at 04:17 PM. Reason: removed racial remark
Old 08-28-13, 04:17 PM

wm lopez, I removed a racial remark from you. Consider this a warning.
Old 08-28-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Oh they have the big screens... their the cheap brands and may have some scratches on the screen... but they do have them.
Ermagherd!

Old 08-28-13, 05:57 PM

I remember my wife was watching Oprah a few years back, and they had a special on welfare recipients, and how hard it is for them to make ends meet. As a part of a breakdown of their monthly costs, they included their cell phone bill. At that point, my wife looks at me, and says "They have cell phones, but we don't have one yet?". They asked the kid what he wanted the most, and he said "Air Jordans" while he was playing on his video game system.
Old 08-28-13, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I remember my wife was watching Oprah a few years back, and they had a special on welfare recipients, and how hard it is for them to make ends meet. As a part of a breakdown of their monthly costs, they included their cell phone bill. At that point, my wife looks at me, and says "They have cell phones, but we don't have one yet?". They asked the kid what he wanted the most, and he said "Air Jordans" while he was playing on his video game system.
That's nothing. On a subway train in New York a man begging for money asked people to read about his housing situation on his new iPhone.
Old 08-29-13, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The vast majority of the people I have met or known that had to rely at one time or another on government subsidies, (including my family), were honest, hardworking people who were just going through a bad time.

But let's stick with the stereotype that they are all lazy and living high on the hog.

Although I must admit, I hate it when they wave their welfare checks at me as their limos drive by.