Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Matt Mendoza: "The Conservative's Choice"

Old 08-13-13, 03:50 PM
Banned

Matt Mendoza: "The Conservative's Choice"

Someone linked to this article from Facebook, and I love it.

What the Republican Party needs is strong leadership. We have been a ship adrift upon the sea for far too long. Leadership should hold the party to its core; not somebody merely in the middle of the road, but a Conservative with strong moral fiber. The Republican Party need not change to the times, but to stand by their principles that have strengthened America for the last 160 years.

We must stay conservative in economic issues, national security and our faith in God. It is our Faith in GOD that keeps us strong when trials and tribulations come at us, as in the past few years. It is our strength and courage that sustains us in troubled times, our principles that hold us fast to the bedrock of truth, and it is PROVIDENCE who is the light that shows us the path for our spirit to follow. This is the foundation that we must build on. We must not check the wind and see which way it goes. We as conservatives know the way. Just because there are bumps along the way, we do not change paths and try something else. There will be bumps in life and we will get knocked down, but it is our Faith that tells us to get back up.

Did Lincoln give up when he saw most of America wanted slavery, or saw tens of thousands of men die on the battlefields? Did Moses give up in Egypt when Pharaoh came against him? Should Christ have given up the cross when the people of Jerusalem gave him up to Pilate? NO, they stayed on the path of truth. Conservatism is right for America because it works. Capitalism works. The free market works. America is a Republic of WE THE PEOPLE and as soon as we stand up and show the rest of America the truth of a Republic and American know how, the sooner we will get our country back.
Old 08-13-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Matt Mendoza: "The Conservative's Choice"

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Someone linked to this article from Facebook, and I love it.
Yes, that'll get the rabid Tea Party minority frothing at the mouth. It will also alienate the Republicans who understand that the position is ludicrous and actually want to stand a chance in a general election, and brand them as traitors to "the cause."

Of course, with enough dishonest (and frankly unChristianlike) voter manipulation that'll go on next election by conservatives, maybe it'll work. I know its generalizing, but is there a red state out there that does not have "voter reform" going on?
Old 08-13-13, 04:15 PM
Banned by request

Sounds to me like he wants to double down on all the stuff that's been making conservatives lose elections.
Old 08-13-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, republicans need to be more conservative. Keep fucking that chicken.
Old 08-13-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-13-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did Lincoln give up when he saw most of America wanted slavery
He's right! Lincoln was unflappable on his holy crusade to rid America of slavery.

Spoiler:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388.
Old 08-13-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone linked to this article from Facebook
That is almost always an indicator that the article is shit.
Old 08-13-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-13-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Sounds to me like he wants to double down on all the stuff that's been making conservatives lose elections.
Well, that's pretty much what they do every time they lose, isn't it?

I swear, after eight years of President Rodham-Clinton, they'll run a holocaust denier in 2024.

At some point, they're going to have to cut off that idiot tail they've been dragging around.
Old 08-13-13, 07:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

It would be amazing if the Tea Party just melted away. Moderate Republicans could run again and the country might actually be able to work in its problems instead of doing absolutely nothing all the time.
Old 08-13-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
He's right! Lincoln was unflappable on his holy crusade to rid America of slavery.

Spoiler:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388.
And the rest of the letter (emphasis added):

...I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty, and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men, everywhere, could be free.
At the time the letter was written, the Emancipation Proclamation was apparently already being drafted.
Old 08-13-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Old 08-13-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
And the rest of the letter (emphasis added):

At the time the letter was written, the Emancipation Proclamation was apparently already being drafted.
The sum total of Lincoln's career shows very clearly that he was opposed to slavery. However, to ask "Did Lincoln give up when he saw most of America wanted slavery, or saw tens of thousands of men die on the battlefields?" displays a profound misunderstanding of what Lincoln was trying to do during the Civil War. And in this context, it's a perversion of history in service of Mr. Mendoza's apparent messiah complex, and I'm not inclined to overlook it.
Old 08-14-13, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the Republican Party needs is strong leadership. We have been a ship adrift upon the sea for far too long. Leadership should hold the party to its core; not somebody merely in the middle of the road, but a Conservative with strong moral fiber. The Republican Party need not change to the times, but to stand by their principles that have strengthened America for the last 160 years.

We must stay conservative in economic issues, national security and our faith in God. It is our Faith in GOD that keeps us strong when trials and tribulations come at us, as in the past few years. It is our strength and courage that sustains us in troubled times, our principles that hold us fast to the bedrock of truth, and it is PROVIDENCE who is the light that shows us the path for our spirit to follow. This is the foundation that we must build on. We must not check the wind and see which way it goes. We as conservatives know the way. Just because there are bumps along the way, we do not change paths and try something else. There will be bumps in life and we will get knocked down, but it is our Faith that tells us to get back up.

Did Lincoln give up when he saw most of America wanted slavery, or saw tens of thousands of men die on the battlefields? Did Moses give up in Egypt when Pharaoh came against him? Should Christ have given up the cross when the people of Jerusalem gave him up to Pilate? NO, they stayed on the path of truth. Conservatism is right for America because it works. Capitalism works. The free market works. America is a Republic of WE THE PEOPLE and as soon as we stand up and show the rest of America the truth of a Republic and American know how, the sooner we will get our country back.

[IMG]http://www.************.com/ronpaul.jpg[/IMG]

The flag on high! The ranks tightly closed!
The Tea Party marches with quiet, steady step.
Dear friends shot by the liberals and reactionaries
March in spirit within our ranks.
Dear friends shot by the liberals and reactionaries
March in spirit within our ranks.

For the last time, the call to arms is sounded!
For the fight, we all stand prepared!
Soon Ron Paul's banners will fly over all streets.
The time of bondage will last but a little while now!
Soon Ron Paul's banners will fly over all streets.
The time of bondage will last but a little while now.
Old 08-14-13, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a laughably condescending piece of cliched writing, yet it still apparently generates a Pavlovian response. I find it amusing that the author doesn't see the disconnect between claiming to follow Christianity and taking the stance that the ends justify the means, but such conflicted, hypocritical thoughts aren't atypical on either side of the aisle.