Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Presidential vacation days by the numbers

Old 08-13-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Presidential vacation days by the numbers

Ok so we all know that the President really is never truly on vacation but they do take “vacations” and many love to complain about them. (me included)

Obama’s vacations and golfing by the numbers

Here are some of the numbers from the story.

As of Aug. 13, 2013, Obama is on his 15th vacation trip, covering all or part of 96 days total.

At the same point in his presidency:

W: 51 visits to his ranch in Texas and 7 trips to Kennebunkport for a total of 349 days.

Clinton: 11 vacations for a total of 84 days.

H.W.: The article didn’t have any data for him.

Reagan: 29 trips to ranch in Cali for a total of 180 days.

I have to hand it to W, the man knows how to take a vacation.
Old 08-13-13, 03:49 PM
Admin-Thanos

Re: Presidential vacation days by the numbers

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Well he got used to his life as Gov of Texas. The legislature there meets the least out of any state in the union I believe. 180 days or something like that. Bush II didn't like to be in Washington too much, that's for sure.
Old 08-13-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Liberals who complain about GWB's vacations always remind me of that old joke: "The food here is terrible. And such small portions!"
Old 08-13-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I suspect that presidents don't really get vacations. Not a single day. If they can make it through a round of golf without job interruptions, I'd be amazed.

If I were president, I'd spend as little time in DC as possible.
Old 08-13-13, 04:10 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Being President is something you can do from anywhere in the world. Time spent in the White House is irrelevant to job performance, IMO.
Old 08-13-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like the way to assess the information presented in the article:

Ranch in California/Texas >>> Home in Illinois/Arkansas
Old 08-13-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Being President is something you can do from anywhere in the world. Time spent in the White House is irrelevant to job performance, IMO.
Yeah, I think the same thing.
Old 08-13-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Grover Cleveland served one of his terms from inside a whale.
Old 08-13-13, 09:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Seems like the way to assess the information presented in the article:

Ranch in California/Texas >>> Home in Illinois/Arkansas
Have you been to Chicago in the summer? It might be the best summer city in the US.
Old 08-13-13, 09:09 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by dork View Post
No no no, Grover Cleveland served one of his terms as a whale.
Old 08-13-13, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Well he got used to his life as Gov of Texas. The legislature there meets the least out of any state in the union I believe. 180 days or something like that. Bush II didn't like to be in Washington too much, that's for sure.
160 days every 2 years. For it they are paid 7600$. Yeah, that isn't a typo.
Old 08-14-13, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Yeah? Teddy Roosevelt killed a Bigfoot.

Old 08-14-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Ok so we all know that the President really is never truly on vacation but they do take “vacations” and many love to complain about them. (me included)

Obama’s vacations and golfing by the numbers

Here are some of the numbers from the story.

As of Aug. 13, 2013, Obama is on his 15th vacation trip, covering all or part of 96 days total.

At the same point in his presidency:

W: 51 visits to his ranch in Texas and 7 trips to Kennebunkport for a total of 349 days.

Clinton: 11 vacations for a total of 84 days.

H.W.: The article didn’t have any data for him.

Reagan: 29 trips to ranch in Cali for a total of 180 days.

The BIG different though is Bush took working vacations at his ranch and even held meetings there. And it didn't cost the tax payers a FORTUNE! OTOH, Obama has taken massively expensive vacations on taxpayer's dime. It is simply unconscionable to take a $100 million dollar vacation when the country is broke and the IRS is squeezing hard working ppl for every nickel under the couch cushion. Obama doesn't give a shit about the middle class.
Old 08-14-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
The BIG different though is Bush took working vacations at his ranch and even held meetings there. And it didn't cost the tax payers a FORTUNE! OTOH, Obama has taken massively expensive vacations on taxpayer's dime. It is simply unconscionable to take a $100 million dollar vacation when the country is broke and the IRS is squeezing hard working ppl for every nickel under the couch cushion. Obama doesn't give a shit about the middle class.
$100 million? I heard it costs $1 billion per night and the Obamas are eating one middle class baby for dinner each night.

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/07/...tel-rooms.html
Old 08-14-13, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
$100 million? I heard it costs $1 billion per night and the Obamas are eating one middle class baby for dinner each night.

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/07/...tel-rooms.html
The price tag for his little fun getaway to Africa was $100 million. Trips to Hawaii are very expensive as well.
Old 08-14-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bush took his whole family to Africa in 2003 and his wife in 2008 and there's no reason to assume the cost of each trip wouldn't have been comparable to Obama's planned trip. Please use Google. I dislike defending the current administration, but feel compelled to when you post such ridiculously biased uninformed nonsense. Also, while I find our current debt levels alarming, our country's been 'broke' since it's founding, if your only definition is carrying a debt that can't be immediately paid off. And personally, I think Obama cares just as much about the middle class as 99% of Washington, which is to say only so much as is necessary to retain power.
Old 08-14-13, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Bush took his whole family to Africa in 2003 and his wife in 2008 and there's no reason to assume the cost of each trip wouldn't have been comparable to Obama's planned trip. Please use Google. I dislike defending the current administration, but feel compelled to when you post such ridiculously biased uninformed nonsense. Also, while I find our current debt levels alarming, our country's been 'broke' since it's founding, if your only definition is carrying a debt that can't be immediately paid off. And personally, I think Obama cares just as much about the middle class as 99% of Washington, which is to say only so much as is necessary to retain power.
The difference is the country wasn't desperately broke in 2003. Bush even felt that a surplus meant money should be given back to the tax payer. Obama keeps taking more away. Taking a massive vacation during a fucking sequester? That's bullshit leadership.
Old 08-14-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The price tag for his little fun getaway to Africa was $100 million. Trips to Hawaii are very expensive as well.
The trip to Africa was not a vacation. You are posting exceptionally foolish things.
Old 08-14-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Yep, I agree.
Old 08-14-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The difference is the country wasn't desperately broke in 2003. Bush even felt that a surplus meant money should be given back to the tax payer. Obama keeps taking more away. Taking a massive vacation during a fucking sequester? That's bullshit leadership.
No, GWB waited until the last year of his presidency to bail out the banks and wall st.
Old 08-14-13, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
No, GWB waited until the last year of his presidency to bail out the banks and wall st.
Right, and Obama didn't do anything like that huh?
Old 08-14-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, and Obama didn't do anything like that huh?
No. This great depression we're recovering from started at the tail end of GWB's presidency. Would you like to know more?
Old 08-14-13, 10:01 AM

No. This great depression we're recovering from started at the tail end of GWB's presidency. Would you like to know more?

You are fucking blind if you think this is a recovery. Last job report showed the only jobs being added are shitty part time work. It's the hamburger flipper recovery.
Old 08-14-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are fucking blind if you think this is a recovery. Last job report showed the only jobs being added are shitty part time work. It's the hamburger flipper recovery.
Hmmmmm, the market it is up record numbers this year alone. I'm at above 25% in my holdings. I haven't had that high of a ROI since before 2008.

Someone's doing something right.

Here's a bit from NPR ( yeah, NPR, start your bellyaching) - it's about a month old:

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/02/198076...re-we-well-yet

Here are a few of the winners and laggards in today's economy:

WINNERS

Autos: U.S. automakers were hit so hard by the recession that they needed government help to survive. Now their monthly selling rate is back up to the fastest pace since December 2007.

Technology: Tech companies have been on a hiring binge, sending the unemployment rate for tech professionals down to 3.5 percent . In the first quarter of 2013, technology consulting companies alone added 17,000 workers, according to a report by Dice, a career-posting site.

Energy: U.S. energy output is growing because of the surge in oil and natural gas production. Employment in the oil and gas sectors increased by 155,000 jobs, or by 11 percent, between 2009 and 2012.

STRUGGLERS

Housing: The crushing recession pushed down home values by more than a third. In the past year or so, prices have been moving up sharply , but the overall level remains depressed compared with a decade ago. And now that interest rates are rising, some economists expect sales to cool a bit.

Banking: Banks are trying to bounce back from the mortgage meltdown, but still are coping with slow growth, low interest rates and lower fee income.

Airlines: Airlines tried to survive the recession by using several strategies, including filing for bankruptcy, merging and imposing fees. Now they are squeaking out small operating profits , but still face high costs for fuel, labor and maintenance.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-14-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-14-13, 11:00 AM

Hmmmmm, the market it is up record numbers this year alone. I'm at above 25% in my holdings. I haven't had that high of a ROI since before 2008.

Someone's doing something right.

Here's a bit from NPR ( yeah, NPR, start your bellyaching) - it's about a month old:

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/02/198076...re-we-well-yet

Here are a few of the winners and laggards in today's economy:

WINNERS

Autos: U.S. automakers were hit so hard by the recession that they needed government help to survive. Now their monthly selling rate is back up to the fastest pace since December 2007.

Technology: Tech companies have been on a hiring binge, sending the unemployment rate for tech professionals down to 3.5 percent . In the first quarter of 2013, technology consulting companies alone added 17,000 workers, according to a report by Dice, a career-posting site.

Energy: U.S. energy output is growing because of the surge in oil and natural gas production. Employment in the oil and gas sectors increased by 155,000 jobs, or by 11 percent, between 2009 and 2012.

STRUGGLERS

Housing: The crushing recession pushed down home values by more than a third. In the past year or so, prices have been moving up sharply , but the overall level remains depressed compared with a decade ago. And now that interest rates are rising, some economists expect sales to cool a bit.

Banking: Banks are trying to bounce back from the mortgage meltdown, but still are coping with slow growth, low interest rates and lower fee income.

Airlines: Airlines tried to survive the recession by using several strategies, including filing for bankruptcy, merging and imposing fees. Now they are squeaking out small operating profits , but still face high costs for fuel, labor and maintenance.
The stock market really is a poor indicator of the jobs situation. Until they fix the jobs problem, there is no true recovery. The very minor dips in unemployment are caused by ppl who have simply given up hope of finding a job.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3690424.html

Also, I'm not really surprised at the auto industry recovery. It just shows that people are buying the cheap American models vs imports which are now quite expensive. This is because people don't have good paying jobs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.