Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Tennessee judge rules that a baby can't be named Messiah.

Old 08-13-13, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tennessee judge rules that a baby can't be named Messiah.

I guess Pilot Inspektor is ok...................

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...dge-rules?lite

Baby can't be named 'Messiah,' judge rules

A Tennessee judge has ordered a baby boy’s name to be changed from “Messiah” after deciding it is a title that has “only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.”

NBC station WBIR reported that the parents of the 7-month-old went to a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court because they could not agree on his surname.

However, Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew decided Thursday that the baby, Messiah DeShawn Martin, should be renamed “Martin DeShawn McCullough.”

“The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ,” Ballew said, according to WBIR-TV.

She said she made the decision in the best interests of the child.

Seven-month-old Martin DeShawn McCullough is held by his mom Jaleesa Martin after a judge ruled he could not be called "Messiah."
“It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is,” Ballew said.

On Sunday, Jaleesa Martin, the baby’s mother, told the station that she planned to appeal the decision.

“I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs,” she said.

Martin said she liked how the name sounded alongside her two other children, Micah and Mason.

“Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else,” she said.

The appeal will go before the Cocke County chancellor on Sept. 17.
Old 08-13-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Tennessee judge rules that a baby can't be named Messiah.

Definitely don't agree that this judge should be bringing their religious beliefs into this decision.

My question is.. Where the hell did McCullough come from?
Old 08-13-13, 08:17 AM

Be interesting to know if he'd allow "Mohammed".
Old 08-13-13, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The article says the judge is a "she". Unless "Lu Ann" is a guy...which would make sense since the judge objected strongly to giving weird or inappropriate names to babies.
Old 08-13-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath View Post
My question is.. Where the hell did McCullough come from?
Another article I read said McCullough was the father's surname.
Old 08-13-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Mohammed is a name, Messiah is a title. It's not really the same thing. Lots of people are named Jesus, not many are named "Son of God".

I'm not sure that "child support magistrate" = "judge". Her jurisdiction is probably very different from a judge's. Also, the hearing was specifically about the child's name in the first place, I'm not sure if it's her place to decide the child's name, but clearly they were there for a purpose so she must have some say.

A kid's name is really no big deal. I personally think choosing my children's names was one of the least important acts I've done as a parent. However, picking a name that has the potential of hurting the child socially in the future is just plain dumb. Naming your child Messiah falls into that category. Regardless of how people personally feel about religion, that name is bound to provoke some people (probably lots of people in Eastern Tn). I'm not sure the judge had any right to dictate, but she clearly had the child's best interest at heart.

Also, note that lots of countries have laws on the books that specifically outlaw certain names (try to name a son Adolf in Germany, use anything but an Icelandic name in Iceland or name a child "Majesty" in New Zealand etc). This isn't unique to the bible belt.
Old 08-13-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah this won't be overturned at all

Every Hispanic dude named 'Jesus' better lookout...
Old 08-13-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Again, not the same thing as "Messiah".
Old 08-13-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
And what is the relevant law that makes that distinction in what parents are allowed to name their child?
Old 08-13-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Latinos have it easy - we name every other Latino male "Jesus."

White people mad!
Old 08-13-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

In related news, the band Mr. Mister has been ordered to change their name to Mr. Martin.
Old 08-13-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Now this guy knows how to name his children :

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...type_name.html

Girlfriend of N.J. man who named son Adolf Hitler is pregnant, will give baby Nazi-type name

A Hunterdon County man who has eight children with four women and named one of his sons after Nazi leader Adolf Hitler is going to be a father again.

Heath Campbell, 40, and his fiancée Bethanie Rose Zito, 22, told NYDailyNews.com that they will find out the baby's gender next week. They already have two names lined up.

If they have a boy, a potential name being floated is "Rommel," after Erwin Rommel, a high-ranking German military official in World War II. The Holland Township couple told the Daily News a girl would be named Eva Braun, after Hitler's longtime girlfriend who became his wife less than two days before they committed suicide.

Campbell said he would send Zito, who is 19 weeks pregnant, to a Nazi compound in the southern United States so authorities can't take his child.

His four children with his third wife were removed from his custody. Their names are Adolf Hitler Campbell, 7; JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, 6; Honzlynn Jeannie Campbell, 5; and 19-month-old Hons Heinrich.

Earlier this month, Campbell and Zito showed up to a court hearing wearing a full Nazi uniform. He proposed to her Sunday in Easton, Pa.
Old 08-13-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
In related news, the band Mr. Mister has been ordered to change their name to Mr. Martin.
Old 08-13-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
And what is the relevant law that makes that distinction in what parents are allowed to name their child?
I have no idea what jurisdiction a "Child Support Magistrate" has in defining appropriate names for children. I do know that this hearing was to specifically discuss the child's last name, so I assume the CSM (not typing that again) has some sort of ajudicating role to play here. I do know that family court is not criminal court, the rules are different, the jurisdiction is different and the issues discussed are different. Family courts often are charged with ensuring the child's well-being, and this can be much more interpretive and judgmental than other types of courts. In other words, the law may not specificallty dictate each and every possible situation, the magistrate will need to use their judgment to decide what to do.

To emphasize: I'm not saying the CSM has any right or was correct in making this decision, I am simply saying that labling her a "judge" and assessing her actions in the context of a judge in a criminal case is probably inappropriate.
Old 08-13-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Now this guy knows how to name his children :

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...type_name.html

Girlfriend of N.J. man who named son Adolf Hitler is pregnant, will give baby Nazi-type name

If they have a boy, a potential name being floated is "Rommel," after Erwin Rommel, a high-ranking German military official in World War II.
Erwin Rommel, who participated in the July 20 plot and was executed by Hitler as a result? Neo-Nazi fail.
Old 08-13-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's still better than D'Brickashaw.
Old 08-13-13, 11:11 AM
Banned

Yeah this won't be overturned at all

Fail, Hokey!

Every fan of Rawhide who reads the cast credits knows that it's spelled "Hay-Soos".
Old 08-13-13, 11:18 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
The article says the judge is a "she". Unless "Lu Ann" is a guy...which would make sense since the judge objected strongly to giving weird or inappropriate names to babies.
I heard it made the judge tough and it made him mean.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-1BJfDvSITY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-13-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The judge was stupid to say “The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ” when all that really matters is “It could put him at odds with a lot of people". Can you imagine the kind of taunting and abuse a kid named Messiah would endure?

Then again, Jesús is a popular name among Hispanics so maybe Messiah would have caught on with black folk.
Old 08-13-13, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Again, it doesn't matter.
Old 08-13-13, 11:20 AM
Banned by request

I doubt it would put the kid at odds with people. I think most people would say, "Huh, Messiah? That's a weird name."
Old 08-13-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Fail, Hokey!

Every fan of Rawhide who reads the cast credits knows that it's spelled "Hay-Soos".
Reminds me of when I worked dining services in college (read: cafeteria job), and we were having Spanish chicken and rice one night. What was written on the menu board? "Roast Compoyo". /facepalm
Old 08-13-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

“The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ”
Tell that to a Muslim or a Jew.
Old 08-13-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reminds me of when I worked dining services in college (read: cafeteria job), and we were having Spanish chicken and rice one night. What was written on the menu board? "Roast Compoyo". /facepalm
Are you serious?
Old 08-13-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Roast Compoyo". /facepalm
That is hilarious. What was for dessert? Roast Comleche

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.