Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Are the US and Russia in a "cool war?"

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: So what say you on US/Russian relations
It's getting bad, I'm concerned
30.00%
Meh, it's no big deal
55.00%
twikoff - I wish this was a public poll
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Are the US and Russia in a "cool war?"

Old 08-29-13, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Are the US and Russia in a "cool war?"

Yes.. Lots of people seem to like Putin, over in Russia (even warship him) .. even though there are some that hate his guts..

I don't mind him too much though ... (even though don't care much for them "russkies" now .. as I don't live there any longer) ...

All politicians are crooks .. and Putin just another one of many ...

Obama, Bush etc .. are not much better ..... even worse maybe
Old 08-29-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman00 View Post
Obama, Bush etc .. are not much better ..... even worse maybe
Uh... okay....
Old 08-29-13, 08:56 PM
Banned

LOL ... You disagree, I gather?
Old 08-29-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bush's religiosity and Putin's alliance with the Russian Church is certainly one similarity...we got rid of Bush eventually and Russia may vote Putin out eventually. I like Russians. They like cats and dogs but drink way too much and can't drive worth a damn.
Old 08-29-13, 11:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vote Putin out.
Old 08-29-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear he might get primaried.
Old 04-14-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Damn it, my thread has become NSA 2.0.
Bump, comrades.
Russia Questions U.S. 'Painful Reaction' After Jets Buzz Baltic Destroyer
by Alexey Eremenko and Alexander Smith
4/14/2016

MOSCOW Russia said Thursday it does not understand the "painful reaction from our American colleagues" after two of its warplanes made low passes over a U.S. Navy destroyer.

The Su-24 fighter jets were filmed "buzzing" the USS Donald Cook in the Baltic Sea, about 70 miles from Russia's Kaliningrad province, on Monday and Tuesday.

A U.S. official said the maneuvers were "unsafe" and "unprofessional" and that the jets were so low they left "wake in the water." He said a Russian KA-27 helicopter also made seven passes above the destroyer and was believed to be photographing the ship.

Russian Ministry of Defense spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov hit back Thursday, saying that "upon visual contact, the Russian pilots have executed a turnaway from the ship, compliant to all safety regulations."

In a statement, he said: "To be honest, we don't understand such a painful reaction from our American colleagues."

All Russian military flights, according to Konashenkov, are "conducted in strict compliance to the international rules of airspace management over neutral waters."

Although the U.S. official said the destroyer was 70 miles from Kaliningrad, the Russian MoD claimed it was less than 45 miles from one of its naval bases.

"The freedom of the seas of the U.S. destroyer does not cancel the freedom of the air for the Russian aircraft," Konashenkov added.

Russia warplanes have increasingly tested international boundaries in recent years by buzzing near or in the airspace of other nations.

In October, Russian warplanes flew near the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier in the Sea of Japan and the Navy was forced to send U.S. fighter jets in response.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ru...baltic-n555771

A Russian Su-24 attack plane buzzes the USS Donald Cook on Tuesday. U.S. Navy 6th Fleet photo/Released

I can see Russia from my ship.
Old 04-14-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Old 04-15-16, 10:00 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

"Cool war, bro!"
Old 04-16-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,251 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Strange, but that's probably the least creepy picture I've seen of Putin.
Old 10-07-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone scared of things escalating with Russia? A few things over the past couple days. Is any of this serious?

MOSCOW -- The Russian military on Thursday strongly warned the United States against striking the Syrian army, noting that its air defense weapons in Syria stand ready to fend off any attack.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-i...g-syrian-army/

Russia and the Syrian government should be investigated for war crimes, US Secretary of State John Kerry said.
"Russia, and the regime, owe the world more than an explanation about why they keep hitting hospitals and medical facilities and children," he said.
"These are acts that beg for an appropriate investigation of war crimes."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37590014

The Obama administration on Friday officially accused Russia of carrying out a wide-ranging campaign to interfere with the 2016 elections, including by hacking the computers of the Democratic National Committee and other political officials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b66_story.html
Old 10-07-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Again, Russian warship in close call with U.S. Navy
By Barbara Starr, CNN Pentagon Correspondent
Updated 1:25 PM ET, Fri July 1, 2016

(CNN)For the second time in two weeks, a Russian warship in the eastern Mediterranean has approached U.S. Navy ships in what American military officials said was an unsafe manner, raising concerns about Russian intentions.

The latest incident took place Thursday when the Russian frigate Neustrashimyy came within 150 yards of the USS San Jacinto, according to U.S. military officials.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/01/politi...ip-close-call/

Russian Fighter Comes Within 10 Feet of US Navy Plane
By LUIS MARTINEZ
September 7, 2016 9:23 PM

A U.S. Navy reconnaissance plane had a close encounter with a Russian fighter that came within 10 feet of the aircraft as it flew in international airspace over the Black Sea. It is the latest encounter between the two militaries that American officials have labeled "unsafe and unprofessional".

According to defense officials, the incident occurred this morning as a U.S. Navy P-8A maritime reconnaissance aircraft flew over the Black Sea conducing "routine operations."

It was approached by a Russian SU-27 "Flanker" fighter jet that made "an unsafe close-range intercept" of the Navy plane.

During the 19-minute encounter, the Russian fighter jet initially maintained a 30-foot distance from the American aircraft.

But it then closed to within 10 feet of the P-8A aircraft, which one official said "is considered unsafe and unprofessional."

Another official said that the U.S. crew attempted to contact the Russian pilot but received no response in return.
https://gma.yahoo.com/russian-fighte...opstories.html

We were told, "the '80s called, they want their foreign policy back," so no worries...
Old 10-07-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Is anyone scared of things escalating with Russia? A few things over the past couple days. Is any of this serious?
Yes, it's starting to get quite concerning. I think most of us were here for the end of the cold war, and I'm quite surprised that we seem to be barreling back in that direction.
Old 10-14-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

Putin making more moves that indicate that a military action is forthcoming...

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/art...ome?int=a14709

Recalling all relatives of officials throughout the world to Russia. That's a bad sign.

This will be Obama's legacy if he doesn't find a way to re-engage the Russians diplomatically. If Obama merely kicks the can down the road the problem may escalate beyond the point where it can be dealt with diplomatically. This has been the biggest failure of the Obama administration, and the media has been pretty quiet about it.

Look at the lack of coverage on CNN about this situation. They're far more concerned about what Trump said that the possibility of a major war that could kill tens of thousands of people and badly damage our economy.
Old 10-14-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Putin making more moves that indicate that a military action is forthcoming...

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/art...ome?int=a14709
The two most alarming claims in that article come from The Daily Mail and New York Post. I'm not building a bomb shelter just yet.
Old 10-14-16, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.snopes.com/2016/10/12/put...als-to-return/

The media has turned into total garbage. Sadly this is one of the bad things about the internet. Clickbait garbage like stuff from alex jones or many other places then it gets passed around twitter, Facebook..etc

"The Daily Mail cited the Russian-language news web site Znak, which posted a piece entitled "Home!" Translated from Russian, the piece said that Putin's administration had issued an informal request, not an order, that Russian officials and their family members who are living abroad return home. The piece discussed not a pending military conflict, but a public perception problem stemming from Russian elites' sending their children to be educated at expensive Western schools while their homeland is in the midst of challenging the West and jockeying with the U.S. for global power. It does not seem to be a red flag that World War III is imminent."

"The Znak piece also discussed proposed legislation that would require the children of Russian officials to be educated in Russia. Even though the Russian-language news site indicated that the request by the Russian government had more to do with domestic politics than with any external events, that didn't stop multiple gossip and clickbait sites such as the Daily Star from claiming that Putin was ordering officials home in preparation for a nuclear "World War III":"
Old 10-14-16, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we're going to see World War III, but I do think that we will likely see some military action from Russia in the next 6-12 months against one of our friends or allies in that region.

Don't forget - Putin is former KGB. He's smart and he's ruthless (which is why most of his political enemies are dead or in prison). Anyone who expects him to be reasonable without getting something in return is kidding themselves.
Old 10-14-16, 12:49 AM

There are plenty suggesting that, maybe not here but check around. But the fear mongering is not new when it comes to Russia, China, Even North Korea, have you been to alex Jones's site? Putin is not going to do a damn thing Especially If Clinton gets elected, he fears her, He would treat Trump like Obama. What did Putin do when Turkey shot down a plane? not damn thing.
Old 10-14-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Philly30 View Post
There are plenty suggesting that, maybe not here but check around. But the fear mongering is not new when it comes to Russia, China, Even North Korea, have you been to alex Jones's site?
Never. I'm only vaguely aware of it.

Putin is not going to do a damn thing Especially If Clinton gets elected, he fears her
That is a naive point of view.

Putin has already done a lot, and he will continue to do whatever the hell he wants to do. Expecting him to behave rationally is idealistic. The man is a former hardline communist member of the KGB. He has done nothing rational or reasonable since taking office. He has killed several of his political enemies. He's the only one in Russia with any real power.

He won't attack the U.S. directly, but he will have no reservations about attacking our interests.
Old 10-14-16, 12:57 AM

You should check it out once. Infowars.com

He does fear her which is why they are doing all the hacking. Of course he will try to do other things, like maybe more cyber attacks, screw around with Ukraine. You wait and see, when Clinton takes over suddenly Russia will go back to a minor Irritant likes always but they will be much more open to diplomacy with Syria
Old 10-14-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should check it out once. Infowars.com

He does fear her which is why they are doing all the hacking. Of course he will try to do other things, like maybe more cyber attacks, screw around with Ukraine. You wait and see, when Clinton takes over suddenly Russia will go back to a minor Irritant likes always but they will be much more open to diplomacy with Syria
You're putting far too much faith in both Hillary and Putin.

She's going to have to give something up to get him to back off. He wants Russia to be an equal superpower to the U.S. - if not superior! That was his goal in the KGB, and that's still his goal now. He's used to getting what he wants when he wants it and when he doesn't people die or end up in prison. And woe be to anyone who turns on him! Remember that Russian agent who showed up in England after having been poisoned by radioactive poison? That guy died a slow, painful death...
Old 10-14-16, 01:07 AM

We will see. What I know for sure is do not elect Trump. That will not end well
Old 10-14-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We will see. What I know for sure is do not elect Trump. That will not end well
I definitely agree with that.
Old 10-14-16, 01:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of what he's done is rational and reasonable from the point of view that he is doing what is best for Russia's interests. Also you have to realize that in his mind his interests are Russia's interests.
Old 10-14-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Putin's problem is he acts like he's still living in a 19th Century world of Great Power politics, where big countries get a sphere of influence in which they can bully lesser countries and the rest of the world will turn a blind eye. When the West starts protesting his treatment of Ukraine, he doesn't see it as us standing up for a sovereign nation -- it's a direct threat to his domain.

To some extent, he has a point -- pushing NATO right up to his doorstep is provocative, and we should find a way to help Eastern Europe defend itself without entering into a direct military alliance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.