Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Consequences of Adam and Eve, the Flood, et. al.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Consequences of Adam and Eve, the Flood, et. al.

Old 08-01-13, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Consequences of Adam and Eve, the Flood, et. al.

Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
moviefan2k4 - some questions for you, if that's okay. What do you do for work?
I'm currently looking for a job, after living on Supplemental Security for eight years (epilepsy).

Do you have real world friends that you hang out and do things with?
A few, but not many. Most come to the same church I do, but they live on the other side of Dallas, or multiple towns away.

What kind of things do you like to do?
Aside from a keen interest in films (duh), I like country and soft rock music, retro video games, and am an avid Photoshop user. I never had much interest in sports, even as a kid. I quit watching baseball when Nolan Ryan threw his arm out.

Do you live alone, or with others?
I've mostly lived with my mother and sister, though I've tried living alone twice. The isolation was too much.

Have you seen different parts of the world, or even the US? If so, which?
I've never been overseas, but I lived in Georgia for 6 months, about 8 years ago. I also visited Oklahoma for a Bible camp when I was about twelve, and attended the 2009 Superman Celebration in Metropolis, IL.

What do you hope to do in the future?
My epilepsy prevents me from having a full driver's license, and I don't trust myself behind the wheel anyway. I would like to qualify for a Class-M license, so I can drive a small moped or motorcycle. I'd like to visit a lot of places on the mainland I've never been to (New York, LA, Montana, Maine, South Dakota, etc.).

I'm just trying to get a sense of who you are. You seem very sure of the information you put forth and I'm curious what kind of life experience you have, is all. It provides good context.
I was predominantly raised around hellfire types, which drove me away from God for a long time. I came back to Him around four years ago, and got interested in Christian apologetics. It's helped me to learn why I trust in Jesus, beyond just the Bible alone.
Old 08-01-13, 03:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fellow epileptic. I still think you are looney.
Old 08-01-13, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

I believe there was a Chick-fil-A on the ark.
Old 08-01-13, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I believe there was a Chick-fil-A on the ark.
But des that mean they starved every Sunday?
Old 08-01-13, 05:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Again, we can't be sure of that, because we don't know every detail of 4,000-year-old Israeli construction methods.
People are telling you that even with modern day construction that the ark would have been impossible to build. Yet you somehow think that construction back then was better than it is today? Was Noah actually an alien and had access to UFO technology or something? I mean that's basically the only way the ark could have been built is with alien technology that we don't know about.

BTW, do you believe dinosaurs were on the ark? Did Noah sleep next to a T-Rex?
Old 08-01-13, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

A lot of stuff that was written in the Bible just sounds way too far-fetched to me. I bet a lot of those "miracles" could now be scientifically explained.

And there's nothing mentioned about dinosaurs. Yet, we keep finding their bones everywhere.
Old 08-01-13, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post

And there's nothing mentioned about dinosaurs. Yet, we keep finding their bones everywhere.

Its all a test put there by god to test your faith.
Old 08-01-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Sounds like beastiality to me.
Old 08-01-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People are telling you that even with modern day construction that the ark would have been impossible to build. Yet you somehow think that construction back then was better than it is today? Was Noah actually an alien and had access to UFO technology or something? I mean that's basically the only way the ark could have been built is with alien technology that we don't know about.

Noah got his technology from God. As good as today's modern technology is, it is nothing compared to GodTech.

Even with our modern technology, we can't turn rods into serpents or part the Red Sea. But Moses didn't have modern technology, he had GodTech.
Old 08-01-13, 09:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
A lot of stuff that was written in the Bible just sounds way too far-fetched to me. I bet a lot of those "miracles" could now be scientifically explained.

Job 40:15-24
Old 08-01-13, 09:33 AM
Banned

People are telling you that even with modern day construction that the ark would have been impossible to build. Yet you somehow think that construction back then was better than it is today?
It took Noah and his sons over 100 years to build that Ark. God told them all the different materials to use, and how much of each for various purposes. They didn't need to go anywhere, just ride out the Flood until the waters receded.

BTW, do you believe dinosaurs were on the ark?
I think its possible. The word "dinosaur" wasn't coined until the 19th century; before that, people called them "dragons". Now, before you get all crazy on this, bear in mind that many different cultures around the globe have tales of dragons which go back multiple centuries. Even the Zodiac depicts 11 animals deemed real, and one "mythical" dragon. Is it possible that the Chinese believed dragons were real when that calendar was first done?

In the Book of Job, God describes two different creatures called Behemoth and Leviathan. The first has bones like steel, eats and stands under tall trees, and is so strong raging rivers don't budge him. He's described as "the chief" of God's creations, which many interpret to mean the biggest. The second is said to primarily live underwater, but also breathe fire. When you're dealing with the Creator of all existence, why are such things deemed ridiculous? Those who champion macro-evolution claim things happened billions of years ago which we don't see, but dragons are also fiction? C'mon...
Old 08-01-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Noah got his technology from God. As good as today's modern technology is, it is nothing compared to GodTech.

Even with our modern technology, we can't turn rods into serpents or part the Red Sea. But Moses didn't have modern technology, he had GodTech.
So God was cool giving help to those deity worshipping Egyptians? Or was Anubis, Ra and Horace better architects because their shit was real?
Old 08-01-13, 09:51 AM
Banned

It took Noah and his sons over 100 years to build that Ark. God told them all the different materials to use, and how much of each for various purposes. They didn't need to go anywhere, just ride out the Flood until the waters receded.
So you believe that despite the lack of modern medicine and sanitation, people somehow lived longer in ancient times than they do today?

You think wood isn't going to rot in a 100 year timespan? The wood they had used at the beginning would have rotted away before they finished this 100 year long project.

They may "just needed to ride out the floods" but holding that whole thing together with just wood and keeping it from sinking would have been impossible even "just riding it out."

I think its possible. The word "dinosaur" wasn't coined until the 19th century; before that, people called them "dragons". Now, before you get all crazy on this, bear in mind that many different cultures around the globe have tales of dragons which go back multiple centuries. Even the Zodiac depicts 11 animals deemed real, and one "mythical" dragon. Is it possible that the Chinese believed dragons were real when that calendar was first done?

In the Book of Job, God describes two different creatures called Behemoth and Leviathan. The first has bones like steel, eats and stands under tall trees, and is so strong raging rivers don't budge him. He's described as "the chief" of God's creations, which many interpret to mean the biggest. The second is said to primarily live underwater, but also breathe fire. When you're dealing with the Creator of all existence, why are such things deemed ridiculous? Those who champion macro-evolution claim things happened billions of years ago which we don't see, but dragons are also fiction? C'mon...
So you believe dragons aren't fictional? What about goblins and elves? Are they real too?
Old 08-01-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Was Noah actually an alien and had access to UFO technology or something?
He could not have been. No such thing as life on other planets, worlds, etc.... In this vast universe only us earthlings were blessed with life and the holy texts of a superior being. [sarcasm]

So dinosaurs existed less than 6,000 years ago. Now I've heard it all.
Old 08-01-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

Yeah the official party line for the zealots is dinosaurs are a plot by evolutionists to disprove Christian dogma. They also claim dinosaur bones are fabricated and carbon dating is 100% inaccurate. moviefan obviously hasn't been reading his newsletters.
Old 08-01-13, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Actually they existed 2,000 years ago when Jesus was alive. You didn't know that Jesus rode dinosaurs???

Old 08-01-13, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Its all a test put there by god to test your faith.
"I think God put you here to test my faith."

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mrZcztxRquo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-01-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Old 08-01-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Yeah the official party line for the zealots is dinosaurs are a plot by evolutionists to disprove Christian dogma. They also claim dinosaur bones are fabricated and carbon dating is 100% inaccurate. moviefan obviously hasn't been reading his newsletters.
There's two answer to explain dinosaurs (and other ancient creatures for that matter, but dinosaurs are the big one).

My mom (a Mormon fundie) favored the 2nd one, if I recall.
Old 08-01-13, 11:34 AM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't like the Bible. Too confusing.
Old 08-01-13, 11:50 AM

A few, but not many. Most come to the same church I do, but they live on the other side of Dallas, or multiple towns away.
So how often do you get to spend face to face time with them?

My epilepsy prevents me from having a full driver's license, and I don't trust myself behind the wheel anyway. I would like to qualify for a Class-M license, so I can drive a small moped or motorcycle. I'd like to visit a lot of places on the mainland I've never been to (New York, LA, Montana, Maine, South Dakota, etc.).
No interest in travelling overseas? Being in another country (and no, not Canada) is an eye opening experience.

I was predominantly raised around hellfire types, which drove me away from God for a long time. I came back to Him around four years ago, and got interested in Christian apologetics. It's helped me to learn why I trust in Jesus, beyond just the Bible alone.
So you were an atheist for a long time?

And it sounds like you had faith, but needed more than the Bible to...strengthen your faith? Let you accept your faith? You needed evidence to have faith? I'm not quite understanding why you needed more than the Bible and your relationship with Jesus.

BTW, thank you for answering the questions.
Old 08-01-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as Jesus being a real figure or not, I've had a lot of ancient history from a really good prof who studied at Brown University and specializes in Catholic church and medieval history. Roman history, where most of the evidence would be, I had a semester on, under him. We also analyzed the first book of Genesis in one of his other classes. That was actually kind of fun

I did a quick wikipedia hunt to refresh my memory on this (although history on Wikipedia varies from terrible to a mixed-bag).

Josephus has a tiny smidgeon in one of his writings, which was probably tampered with my Christians in the 11th century, so it's hard to tell what was originally there. But oddly he doesn't mention him in his Jewish War history from 20 years before, which you would expect, as he covers that time period (and Pilate) without mentioning Jesus. Tacitus probably talks about him too, but he wrote after Jesus supposedly died (like 20 or 30 years).

I didn't read Josephus myself though, nor am I highly qualified, having only a B.A. in History...I'm not exactly a scholar. (I read a good hunk of one of Livy's histories as my reading-of-choice when I studied Roman history).

I dunno. I think there's enough evidence that he was a real character of some sort, probably a good philosopher-preacher of some sort. That said, other myths are probably piled in /garbled with the Jesus myth also.

I really should read a book on this, perhaps. It comes up a lot.

As far as the Ark - I can't believe no one has brought up the Epic of Gilgamesh - clearly the kernel of myth/truth inside of the Noah flood myth. I don't see how a rational person reads the Gilgamesh story and doesn't see that that is why we have the Noah myth.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-01-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 12:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
As far as Jesus being a real figure or not, I've had a lot of ancient history from a really good prof who studied at Brown University and specializes in Catholic church and medieval history. Roman history, where most of the evidence would be, I had a semester on.

I did a quick wikipedia hunt to refresh my memory on this (although history on Wikipedia varies from terrible to a mixed-bag).

Josephus has a tiny smidgeon in one of his writings, which was probably tampered with my Christians in the 11th century, so it's hard to tell what was originally there. But oddly he doesn't mention him in his Jewish War history from 20 years before, which you would expect, as he covers that time period (and Pilate) without mentioning Jesus.

I didn't read Josephus myself though, nor am I highly qualified, having only a B.A. in History...I'm not exactly a scholar. (I read a good hunk of one of Livy's histories as my reading-of-choice when I studied Roman history).

I dunno. I think there's enough evidence that he was a real character of some sort, probably a good philosopher-preacher of some sort. That said, other myths are probably piled in /garbled with the Jesus myth also.

I really should read a book on this, perhaps. It comes up a lot.

As far as the Ark - I can't believe no one has brought up the Epic of Gilgamesh - clearly the kernel of myth/truth inside of the Noah flood myth. I don't see how a rational person reads the Gilgamesh story and doesn't see that that is why we have the Noah myth.

Gilgamesh only proves that someone wrote down a flood account before the oral traditions of the Bible were finally commited to written form. I could easily say Gilgamesh stole from the Noah story.

And to this date, no one has ever given me a satisfactory answer to explain why there are flood stories in numerous ancient civilizations all over the world all sharing specific details common with the Biblical account.
Old 08-01-13, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
And to this date, no one has ever given me a satisfactory answer to explain why there are flood stories in numerous ancient civilizations all over the world all sharing specific details common with the Biblical account.
Because irrigation was primitive, ancient cities were almost always built on or near large rivers. The close proximity to water would mean that floods were a very common occurrence in ancient history.
Old 08-01-13, 12:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually they existed 2,000 years ago when Jesus was alive.
This is all the proof I need

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.