Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Another attempt at a dollar coin

Old 07-23-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another attempt at a dollar coin

Why can they not come up with a decent design for one... and why not nuke the penny while they are at it?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/lawm...ins-6C10713866
Hey America, want to save $13.8 billion over the next 30 years? Get rid of your dollars.

The greenbacks, that is. Let's use dollar coins instead.

That's the message from a consumer advocacy group and former presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain, who has re-introduced legislation to phase out dollar bills.

Eliminating the dollar bill in favor of the coin would save $13.8 billion over 30 years, says the consumer group Council for Citizens Against Government Waste (CCAGW). At a Capitol Hill briefing on Monday, the group said printing dollar bills may be cheaper than minting coins, but they last only about four years compared with 30 years for a coin.

The savings would nearly triple other recent estimates of the $1 coin’s impact, said Aaron Klein, former chief economist for the Senate Banking Committee and Deputy Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, who conducted CCAGW's analysis on the savings potential.

"The federal government should always be looking for ways to save money, and as the national debt approaches $17 trillion, the implications of Mr. Klein’s study amount to much more than pocket change,” said Bill Christian, CCAGW's director of government affairs.
Old 07-23-13, 09:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Another attempt at a dollar coin

I always feel richer when I visit your country, because I have $1 bills busting out of my wallet like a badass gangster as opposed to walking lopsided because I have too many $1 and $2 coins in my pocket.
Also, the homeless here in Canada know when you're lying when you say you have no change to give them; you can try saying it's just your keys jostling about, but they're smarter than you think.

We got rid of the penny this year, and pretty much all of our bills are now plastic. You guys really need to catch up. You could save The Economy(tm)!
Old 07-23-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new vending machines at my work give out dollar coins as change. Love them. Keeping them in my change dish in my car is way more useful than quarters.
Old 07-24-13, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eliminating the dollar bill would send shockwaves throughout the stripping industry. Strippers would be forced to have a bucket or change purse on stage, as dollar coins just won't stay tucked into a g-string. And they won't let you stick em where they'd fit.

Ohhh but couldn't we just use Fives instead? I'm sorry, Mr. Rockefeller, but I don't have the kind of bankroll to hand out Lincolns to every gal who shakes her ta tas near my face. I mean with the dollar, you can make the awkward stripper who isn't very good at least feel a little better about herself, but no way you give her a fiver!

It's all about the Washingtons baby!
Old 07-24-13, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The strippers just run a magnet across the stage to collect the loonies and twoonies.
Old 07-24-13, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I mostly use debit these days so when I have cash I like a few ones on me and paper money is easier to deal with. Now the penny is another story, those have gotten almost pointless.
Old 07-24-13, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
The strippers just run a magnet across the stage to collect the loonies and twoonies.
Strippers in Canada don't generally receive tips on stage. Their on stage act is simply advertising for lap dances. That's what my...uh...friend told me anyway.
Old 07-24-13, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate carrying change. They need to make everyone accept credit cards so I don't have to carry any cash.
Old 07-24-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Strippers in Canada don't generally receive tips on stage. Their on stage act is simply advertising for lap dances. That's what my...uh...friend told me anyway.
Moving to Canada.
Old 07-24-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I lose these too often, but whatever I don't carry cash around that much anyhow.

I do have a bunch of $2 bills, which people still find unusual for some reason (there are a few local places that give them out regularly.)

I want my work vending machines to accept Google Wallet.
Old 07-24-13, 09:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

We used to take trips up to Canada once a year and there was a place we hit up every time exactly like that. It was great - the most fun strip club atmosphere I've been to - until some strippers got together and bought the place. Then it became an American-style tip harassment nightmare. Dancers lost all focus on giving a good stage show and just started 'making the rounds', refusing to stop for anything less than a five and even then just going through the motions.
Old 07-24-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
We got rid of the penny this year, and pretty much all of our bills are now plastic. You guys really need to catch up. You could save The Economy(tm)!
Don't rush them. I suggest they start with the metric system, and then move on to dollar coins.

That said, I hate our new polymer/plastic 20 dollar bills. You can't fold them they just pop right back and they are so thin that you go "here's twenty" and then "woah! there's actually 4 of them!". Huh...

Last edited by eXcentris; 07-24-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-24-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
Eliminating the dollar bill would send shockwaves throughout the stripping industry. Strippers would be forced to have a bucket or change purse on stage, as dollar coins just won't stay tucked into a g-string. And they won't let you stick em where they'd fit.
Strip clubs could just offer customers "strip club bucks" that dancers cash in for real money. And, of course, they could sell 19 club bucks for a $20 bill.

And they could offer promotions. Double club bucks on Tuesday, spin the wheel for up to 500 free club bucks, etc.

Gotta think outside the box (pun intended).
Old 07-24-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I lose these too often, but whatever I don't carry cash around that much anyhow.

I do have a bunch of $2 bills, which people still find unusual for some reason (there are a few local places that give them out regularly.)

I want my work vending machines to accept Google Wallet.
I have actually had a $2 refused by the kid at the register before because he thought it was fake. He had to call a manager.

As far as dollar coins, just make sure they are noticeably larger than a quarter.
Old 07-24-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
We used to take trips up to Canada once a year and there was a place we hit up every time exactly like that. It was great - the most fun strip club atmosphere I've been to - until some strippers got together and bought the place. Then it became an American-style tip harassment nightmare. Dancers lost all focus on giving a good stage show and just started 'making the rounds', refusing to stop for anything less than a five and even then just going through the motions.
That's a shame. One of the big advantages of having a club where tips are not normally given for the stage performances is that the women can simply focus on giving a good stage show instead of spending half their time on stage putting their breasts on some guy's face for dollar bills and ignoring everyone else.

Of the two Canadian clubs I (I mean "my friend") have been to, one (in Toronto) did not even have seating next to the stage. That was actually a fun night. We were not planning on going but one of the people in the group was a woman who had confided the night before that she was struggling with whether to ever act on some bi-sexual leanings she had been having. So we took her to a strip club and bought her lapdances all night. She loved it. I don't think any of the guys even got themselves one.
Old 07-24-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
As far as dollar coins, just make sure they are noticeably larger than a quarter.
You don't need to make them larger and in fact I would not recommend it. You can make them heavier. That's what the British pound coin is and it works great.
Old 07-24-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
You don't need to make them larger and in fact I would not recommend it. You can make them heavier. That's what the British pound coin is and it works great.
Why not do both?

Old 07-24-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a popular practice called "stage diving" where a gentleman will lay on the stage clutching a loonie or twoonie in his mouth that the stripper will lie on top of him and "remove".
Old 07-24-13, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The dollar coin has failed three times in the last 20 years. It's never going to catch on.

I have a much less modest proposal. Keep the $1 bill and abolish all coins! If you want to talk about unnecessary waste forget the $13 billion spent on printing dollars and consider the untold billions wasted and time wasted with coins.

We need to drop the decimal point from all our prices.
Old 07-24-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The dollar coin has failed three times in the last 20 years. It's never going to catch on.
If you stop printing dollar bills it will.
Old 07-24-13, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

People would reject that decision being made for them. At this time $1 bills are valuable enough that people want to have several (evan a great many) of them in their pocket. A pocket full of twenty $1 coins is a fucking hassle.
Old 07-24-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If people trusted the government more we could eliminate all smaller denominations of paper money and coins under $20. Move all transactions to a debit or cash card system.
Old 07-24-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
People would reject that decision being made for them. At this time $1 bills are valuable enough that people want to have several (evan a great many) of them in their pocket. A pocket full of twenty $1 coins is a fucking hassle.
Like every other Western country in the world has done it. We'd survive.
Old 07-24-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

This will not work as intended until they just quit producing the bills and force us to use the coins. And get rid of the fucking penny. These are not hard decisions for congress.
Old 07-24-13, 05:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Don't rush them. I suggest they start with the metric system, and then move on to dollar coins.
fair enough.

That said, I hate our new polymer/plastic 20 dollar bills. You can't fold them they just pop right back and they are so thin that you go "here's twenty" and then "woah! there's actually 4 of them!". Huh...
Oh man, I've had that happen a few times. I find it's less of an issue if the bills aren't sequential... but yeah.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
There is a popular practice called "stage diving" where a gentleman will lay on the stage clutching a loonie or twoonie in his mouth that the stripper will lie on top of him and "remove".
I have never seen this. Only the "throw a loonie to displace the other loonie and get a signed poster" game.

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
This will not work as intended until they just quit producing the bills and force us to use the coins. And get rid of the fucking penny. These are not hard decisions for congress.
Yup. Problem is, you can't do both at once. Society would crumble. Get rid of the pennies first, then go after the bills.
Since you guys have copied all of our other coinage just make your $1 coin the same size/colour as ours. But put an eagle or Obama on the thing. Or an eagle eating a fish with the words "Thanks Obama!" below it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.