Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

YouTube & Facebook Bans Kirk Cameron's Unstoppable Trailer

Old 07-19-13, 10:18 PM
Suspended

YouTube & Facebook Bans Kirk Cameron's Unstoppable Trailer

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...movie-trailer/

Kirk Cameron can’t be stopped–by Facebook or by YouTube.

The former “Growing Pains” star, 42, posted a plea on his Facebook page last night after the social media giant had blocked him from posting any links to his new movie “Unstoppable.”

“Calling all friends of Faith, Family, and Freedom!” Cameron said. ”Facebook has officially ‘blocked’ me and you (and everyone else) from posting any link to my new movie at UnstoppableTheMovieDOTcom.”

More than 250,000 fans have stepped up and shared Kirk’s post, following his request to encourage Facebook to unblock the movie.

And it worked, with Facebook reversing the ban. YouTube also blocked the trailer for some time, but has since put it back up.

In Cameron’s message, he said the content of the film had been deemed “abusive, unsafe and spammy.”

Related: Kirk Cameron Receiving Support Despite Anti-Gay Comments
The trailer focuses on why God allows bad things to happen to good people.
Even though there doesn’t seem to be anything that would warrant a block, there are images of people running from a masked man, who at one point holds a rock over his head, possibly to hit someone.

“Unstoppable” is a one-night, live event set for 8 p.m. EST on Sept. 24. Tickets became available today.

A rep for YouTube did not immediately responded to request for comment.

---

Interesting.
Old 07-19-13, 10:21 PM
Banned by request

Re: YouTube & Facebook Bans Kirk Cameron's Unstoppable Trailer

That seems odd. While I'm sure his movie is total drivel, that's no reason to block the trailer for it.
Old 07-19-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blocking the trailer is stupid .. and them doing so is the only reason I have heard of this movie
Old 07-19-13, 10:38 PM
Banned by request

A cynical man would wonder if perhaps someone in Cameron's camp reported the video to Facebook and YouTube so that Cameron could crow about it and drum up publicity.
Old 07-19-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-20-13, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The most likely explanation is Kirk Cameron doesn't know how to embed videos in Facebook.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
A cynical man would wonder if perhaps someone in Cameron's camp reported the video to Facebook and YouTube so that Cameron could crow about it and drum up publicity.
Help, help! I'm being oppressed!
Old 07-20-13, 12:01 PM
Suspended

That would be hilarious if Kirk's website designers didn't embed the video properly, but it says, "This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy against spam, scams, and commercially deceptive content."

I wonder how much other shit on YouTube's website fits into that same category but isn't targeted.

YouTube and Facebook are giving Cameron a hell of an advertising deal.
Old 07-20-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If his trailer is banned, isn't that God's will?
Old 07-20-13, 07:36 PM

It's my understand that if a video is reported, the policy of YouTube is to take it down until they have time to investigate. So such a plan would be pretty easy to pull off. On the flip side, it could easily have been an organized effort from Internet Atheists™ on 4chan and/or Reddit.

Would like to hear official comments from YouTube or Facebook on this.
Old 07-20-13, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
If his trailer is banned, isn't that God's will?
I dunno. Maybe it's God's Will I post this. Maybe it's God's Will to see this post and His Will to question Facebook and YouTube's policy on this.
Old 07-20-13, 10:34 PM
Banned

A cynical person (let's not be sexist, now) would wonder if the producers of "Ender's Game" cooked up the entire 'boycott' fiasco just to get publicity and create ticket sales.

Worked for Chik-Fil-A (14 % increase in sales in 2012), according to Entertainment Weekly.
Old 07-21-13, 05:33 AM
Banned by request

I think the Ender's Game boycott happened way too early to be staged, it's not going to be fresh in people's mind when it comes out.

Although I will never understand how someone who writes books about understanding those who are different from us, and having compassion for them, could be so blatantly homophobic.
Old 07-21-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
A cynical person (let's not be sexist, now) would wonder if the producers of "Ender's Game" cooked up the entire 'boycott' fiasco just to get publicity and create ticket sales.
Enders Game is an immensely popular (for some unfathomable reason) book, and the movie will make more money on opening day that Kirk Cameron's movie will make in a century. it could well be a publicity stunt, but Orson Scott Card is also much more venomous than Cameron, who just comes across as a smug douche, so a "real" boycott is a definite possibility.

I would give even money on Cameron's problems being 4Chan related though. His infamous appearance in the banana video is an endless source of amusement for that crowd.
Old 07-21-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Enders Game is an immensely popular (for some unfathomable reason) book, and the movie will make more money on opening day that Kirk Cameron's movie will make in a century. it could well be a publicity stunt, but Orson Scott Card is also much more venomous than Cameron, who just comes across as a smug douche, so a "real" boycott is a definite possibility.
Agreed about the popularity of the Ender's Game novel being "unfathomable." I read it a long time ago and didn't really like it much.

I have no doubt that the outrage and boycott directed against the movie is legitimate and not a publicity stunt on the part of the movie to drum up interest. There are at least a few very vocal people who don't care for Card's views or his involvement in the National Organization for Marriage. Last year DC Comics pulled a Superman story of his from an anthology.

This could work in the film's favor, though, if the conservative media can get its followers to support the movie on opening weekend and make it a hit like Huckabee did for Chick-fil-a last year.

I'm not sure it's a given that the movie will even be a hit. Nobody I know is talking about it, and I think a lot of people are going to see the advertising and think it looks like "Harry Potter in Space."
Old 07-21-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*slaps forehead*

This project looks stupid. If I want to hear the same old parroted arguments on religion, I'll read this forum.

This project will bait the same people who insist on posting biblical quotes all over Youtube. And turning everything into a religious debate. The trolls.
Old 07-22-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
*slaps forehead*

This project looks stupid. If I want to hear the same old parroted arguments on religion, I'll read this forum.

This project will bait the same people who insist on posting biblical quotes all over Youtube. And turning everything into a religious debate. The trolls.
I wouldn't expect any atheist or non-believer to give credibility to a Christian project. I once debated with an atheist who just couldn't say anything positive about Christian entertainers. When I brought up Christian rock bands that had top 10 hits on the secular charts, he would still say they all sucked.
Old 07-22-13, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
When I brought up Christian rock bands that had top 10 hits on the secular charts, he would still say they all sucked.
To be fair to your friend, Creed does suck.
Old 07-22-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair to your friend, most top ten hits suck.

I see that Justin Timberlake has two songs on the top ten right now.
Old 07-22-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And to bring this conversation full circle (sort of), Alan Thicke's real-life kid currently has the #1 song in the country (which is pretty good). It's got a great NSFW video on YouTube (and I'm sure you can find it on Facebook as well).
Old 07-22-13, 09:37 AM

Fun fact: if you watch carefully, there are actually some men in that video.
Old 07-22-13, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
To be fair to your friend, Creed does suck.
Creed isn't a Christian rock band. SKillet, Jars of Clay and POD are examples of successful Christian rock bands.
Old 07-22-13, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
To be fair to your friend, most top ten hits suck.

I see that Justin Timberlake has two songs on the top ten right now.
Lol, Denzel Washington is a Christian. Are you going to say he is a shitty actor now?
Old 07-22-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lol, Denzel Washington is a Christian. Are you going to say he is a shitty actor now?
One of the reasons I will not watch Training Day is that I can't stand sermonizing Christian films.
Old 07-22-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I'm saying that most top ten songs suck.

Palestrina was a Christian, and his music is great. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.
Old 07-22-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't expect any atheist or non-believer to give credibility to a Christian project. I once debated with an atheist who just couldn't say anything positive about Christian entertainers. When I brought up Christian rock bands that had top 10 hits on the secular charts, he would still say they all sucked.
That sounds like a thrilling conversation for all involved.

I'm happy to give credit to a "Christian" project (whatever that means) - too bad so many of them that wear their Christianity on their sleeves are treacly crap. This project looks to be no different.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.