Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Person A murders, Person B murders and steals
Person B is a bigger sinner because his thefts adds to his murder
50.00%
Person A and B are equally sinful becuase they both committed murder
50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Do sins compound on each other?

Old 07-03-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do sins compound on each other?

person A commits murder
person B commits murder and steals something.

Can the two sinners be compared? If they both committed murder, are they equally as sinful, or does person B's theft add onto his murder, making him more sinful than person A?
Old 07-03-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do sins compound on each other?

In other words, should a sinner be judged by his most serious sin, or should he be judged by the totality of all his sins?
Old 07-03-13, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

Need to know more about who each killed and what the one stole.

Stealing virginity and killing Hitler?
Old 07-03-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm trying to say that the murders are roughly "equal" it's not like one person killed a baby and another person killed Osama Bin Laden.

Murders are roughly equal in comparison.

The theft was a legit theft, not stealing a feeling or stealing a loaf of bread to feed his starving family. The theft was definitely a sin.

Do we say A is a muderer and B is a murderer and a thief? Or do we say they're both murderers?
Old 07-03-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I am not religious but isn't murder a sin no matter what. A soldier who kills 50 people in combat and a mob hitman who kills 50 people. Is there really a difference?
I'm not trying compare two diffent categories of murder. I'm not trying to say that one was in cold blood and another was in self defense or something. Let's just assume that it's just 1 murder each, and the two murders are equally sinful. I'm not trying to make this a trick question. There's not going to be a surprise of one person killed a baby and another person killed someone to prevent that person from killing a million others. Two murders, one each, very comparable, same level of sin.

Do we judge each sinner by their worst sin (murder) or by the totality of their sins (murder+0 and murder+stealing)?
Old 07-04-13, 03:05 AM
Banned by request

One is going to have a harsher prison sentence than the other. Sin is between them and their deity.
Old 07-04-13, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
One is going to have a harsher prison sentence than the other. Sin is between them and their deity.
Really?

Will the murderer go to prison for 30 years, and the murderer and thief gets 30 years and a couple more days tacked on?

And I'm not really looking at this in terms of legalities, just in terms of morality.

On one hand, I don't know if I'm comfortable thinking that one person could ever do enough stealing to end up being worse than a murderer. On the other hand, I don't know if I'm comfortable saying that a person who rapes and murders his victim isn't worse than a person who just murders them,
Old 07-04-13, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll leave the sin business to God (whom I don't believe in). They should be punished for their crimes. Given time off for good behavior, people sentenced to "life w/o parole" being paroled, etc, they should be punished for all crimes of which they are convicted, so crimes are cumulative, and sentences should be served consecutively, NEVER concurrently.
Old 07-04-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Will the murderer go to prison for 30 years, and the murderer and thief gets 30 years and a couple more days tacked on?
Depends if the sentences are consecutive or concurrent.

I think most sentences are done "concurrently," meaning that if you get five years for one crime, five years for another, and seven years for a third, you'll only serve seven years.

For some particularly heinous crimes, like a crime spree involving homicide, the court will make the sentences consecutive in order to keep the person in prison for life.
Old 07-04-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But again, I'm not really intending for this to be a legal question, but a moral one.

Is someone who rapes and murders his victim worse than someone who just murdered?
Old 07-04-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We need dvdjunkie and moviefan to clarify this issue.
Old 07-04-13, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
We need dvdjunkie and moviefan to clarify this issue.
Mod Note: Just a reminder to please address the topics/posts, not individual posters.

Thank You.
Old 07-04-13, 10:04 AM

But again, I'm not really intending for this to be a legal question, but a moral one.

Is someone who rapes and murders his victim worse than someone who just murdered?
I don't think all sects would answer the same, but I really don't know for certain. I know that in the Catholic tradition, assuming no forgiveness and atonement, a single mortal sin means eternal damnation, so more than one doesn't do any more harm. Perhaps it would be more difficult to obtain forgiveness, if one wanted it, having committed more than one.

Lesser sins, i.e. venial sins, do accumulate in a sense, again in the Catholic tradition. Perhaps some of our members more versed in other Christian denominations could better answer.
Old 07-04-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My understanding as a Christian is that all humans are in a state of sin, nobody is without sin, and nobody can get out of the state of sin solely by their own efforts. That's where repentance and Jesus come in.

I guess that doesn't really answer the OP's question, but I think, as Pharoh mentioned, adding them up doesn't necessarily count for that much.

Also, I think Christianity is largely concerned with the internal spiritual state of people (although I don't mean to suggest that external actions are not considered important). I think Lewis wrote something about how sinful natures can appear huge because of the particular historical and environmental circumstances that people end up in. A person like Hitler might be in a position where his hatred, greed, pride and cruelty result in the death of millions---whereas some nobody might have even more hatred greed and cruelty in him, but his position is such that he has no power to express it and it only gets him laughed at.
Old 07-04-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

person A commits murder
person B commits murder and steals something.

Can the two sinners be compared? If they both committed murder, are they equally as sinful, or does person B's theft add onto his murder, making him more sinful than person A?
It appears that there is the assumption that both murder and stealing are sins. You pose the question with an assumed worldview that you have not shared. I don't get it...what motivated you to pose the question?
Old 07-04-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In other words, should a sinner be judged by his most serious sin, or should he be judged by the totality of all his sins?
All have fallen short... though certainly some sins have more lasting consequences than others here on Earth. But enough with the games, what is it your trying to get at?
Old 07-04-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
One is going to have a harsher prison sentence than the other.
Depends on how much money you have for an attorney.
Old 07-04-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is political?
Old 07-04-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
This is political?
I tend to lump religion and politics together. Sorry to offend you.
Old 07-04-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tend to lump religion and politics together.
You and the mullahs. Ain't you never heard of the First Amendment?

Old 07-04-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tend to lump religion and politics together. Sorry to offend you.
This is religious?
Old 07-04-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess I'm trying to say that the murders are roughly "equal" it's not like one person killed a baby and another person killed Osama Bin Laden.
But wouldn't God, view these two murders the same.
Old 07-04-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

They compound. One could make an argument that they are both equally damned in Christianity, but one is still morally worse, though by a small margin given the murders.
Old 07-04-13, 11:59 PM

Who is the bigger sinner: Hitler? The person who killed Hitler? Or the person who killed Hitler's killer?

In my eyes, they're all the same.
Old 07-05-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
They compound. One could make an argument that they are both equally damned in Christianity, but one is still morally worse, though by a small margin given the murders.
It's always been my understanding that, according to Christianity theology, any sin is enough to damn someone. Doesn't matter if it's a fleeting bad thought or a mass murder spree. God hates all sin equally, and any one is enough to separate man from God without forgiveness or grace or whatever.

So in that sense, they wouldn't compound.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.