Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Assuming it's between consenting adults, which types of marriage should be legal?
Marriage legal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
44.00%
Marriage legal for gays & incestuous couples, illegal for polygamists
2.67%
Marriage legal for gays & polygamists, illegal for incestuous couples
16.00%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples & polygamists, illegal for gays
1.33%
Marriage legal for gays, illegal for incestuous couples & polygamists
21.33%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples, illegal for gays & polygamists
1.33%
Marriage legal for polygamists, illegal for gays & incestuous couples
1.33%
Marriage illegal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
4.00%
Marriage legal for twickoff
8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Old 06-29-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
People with strong morals and values don't get divorced. It's those "progressive" people who want everything handed to them on a plate and won't fight or work hard to save their marriages that get divorced.
Christian Science Monitor: High divorce rates and teen pregnancy are worse in conservative states than liberal states

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...liberal-states
Old 06-29-13, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamblast View Post
Christian Science Monitor: High divorce rates and teen pregnancy are worse in conservative states than liberal states

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...liberal-states
Lack of education and getting married too early in those conservative states. What is your point?
Old 06-29-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just heading off at the pass any possible implication that the world consists of, say, people with strong morals and values vs. progressives. Or that the latter actually have a higher divorce rate. Don't know where I coulda got that from, sorry.
Old 06-29-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Lack of education and getting married too early in those conservative states. What is your point?
Because you said:
People with strong morals and values don't get divorced. It's those "progressive" people who want everything handed to them on a plate and won't fight or work hard to save their marriages that get divorced.
Are you arguing that conservative states are secretly progressive?
Old 06-29-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If your argument is that legalizing same-sex marriages hurts children, then I'm sure you have numbers to back that up, since there are several places where it's been legalized.
Don't you dare try to bring actual facts into this.
Old 06-29-13, 02:48 PM
Banned by request

I was going to say another thread derailed, but I think that was kind of the point in this one.
Old 06-29-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is marriage between homos the difference between happiness and unhappiness? Are you saying the homos were not happy because they were not married?
Lifetime of unhappiness?

I guess if you mean that they'd be unhappy because they couldn't shove their homosexuality in everyone's face then you'd be right.
Marriage makes people happy? Having your government say your love isn't good enough makes people unhappy? Maybe worry less about what others do with their lives?

Take your pick. Thankfully, your view is almost gone...just a few more years and you're in the dark ages with those who opposed women's rights and interracial marriage. And our county will again be better for it.

Last edited by Draven; 06-29-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-29-13, 04:16 PM

How is marriage between homos the difference between happiness and unhappiness? Are you saying the homos were not happy because they were not married?
Lifetime of unhappiness?

I guess if you mean that they'd be unhappy because they couldn't shove their homosexuality in everyone's face then you'd be right.
With respect, I don't know a single gay or lesbian person nor a straight ally who would think calling a person who is gay or lesbian a "homo" is anywhere near okay.

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't know enough about incestuous relationships in a marriage context though I admit I am perplexed by it and it's a completely foreign concept to me.
Old 06-29-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love the assumption that a heterosexual marriage is better than a same sex marriage. Luckily we have these people who spend their careers studying and researching these assumptions. You might be surprised by what the research results are when they compare children from both types of marriages (while controlling other factors in order to make it a fair comparison). Hint, it's not what people in this thread seem to think...

But we wouldn't want facts to get in the way of bigotry. 'Mericuh!
Old 06-29-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it's not surprising to see that all the usual trolls have descended upon this thread. People who don't like the idea of gay marriage really seem to be weirdly obsessed with it.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I was going to say another thread derailed, but I think that was kind of the point in this one.
Maybe if we can trap them here, they won't go anywhere else!
Old 06-29-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I voted for one of the ones with no votes. It's just wrong that something is wrong. Everything is ok including everything not being ok. Absolute and total conformity is what the 60s were all about. We are rapidly approaching that ideal. All peoples thoughts in lock step with all others. After all when you have perfection, any dissent is wrong. And there are plenty of people here who have all the self evident answers to everything. Uncle Joe would be wiping a tear from his eye.
Old 06-29-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Joran Van Der Sloot will be getting married while in prison for murder. Ted Bundy was married while serving time for murder.
God is ok with this but not a committed gay couple? So it's not about the sin. What is it about?
Old 06-29-13, 07:29 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by story View Post
With respect, I don't know a single gay or lesbian person nor a straight ally who would think calling a person who is gay or lesbian a "homo" is anywhere near okay.

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't know enough about incestuous relationships in a marriage context though I admit I am perplexed by it and it's a completely foreign concept to me.
mod note - Well said story. If you want to discuss a topic, don't use bigoted and offensive terms. Thank you.
Old 06-29-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm starting to think that some people who are in favor of same sex marriage decided to help their cause by being ridiculous caricatures of the anti gay Bible thumpers.
Old 06-30-13, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm beginning to honestly think that ALL marriage should be illegal and replaced with legal contracts for whoever is legally able to understand them.
Old 06-30-13, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I'm beginning to honestly think that ALL marriage should be illegal and replaced with legal contracts for whoever is legally able to understand them.
Privatized marriage.

Domestic partnership contracts that grant the rights and benefits of 'legal marriage' to any and all consenting adults who want them, and anyone who then wants to be 'married' on top of that can find a church willing to perform the civil marriage ceremony.

It's a deceptively simple and elegant solution. The government stays out of the matter of who can marry who, and the churches and clergy can decide who they want to marry, with both sides remaining completely separate.

This should appeal to conservatives who hate the government, as the government would stay out of all decisions regarding their marriage.
Old 06-30-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Privatized marriage.

Domestic partnership contracts that grant the rights and benefits of 'legal marriage' to any and all consenting adults who want them, and anyone who then wants to be 'married' on top of that can find a church willing to perform the civil marriage ceremony.

It's a deceptively simple and elegant solution. The government stays out of the matter of who can marry who, and the churches and clergy can decide who they want to marry, with both sides remaining completely separate.

This should appeal to conservatives who hate the government, as the government would stay out of all decisions regarding their marriage.
Many of the conservative Christians I know have stated that they would embrace such a move. And it sounds reasonable except for one point... politically active gays (and polygamists later on) don't want that... they want "marriage" and nothing short of that will be acceptable to them.
Old 06-30-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Many of the conservative Christians I know have stated that they would embrace such a move. And it sounds reasonable except for one point... politically active gays (and polygamists later on) don't want that... they want "marriage" and nothing short of that will be acceptable to them.
This is the equivalent of saying "Well, why don't we just rip out all of the water fountains? Then nobody will have to drink from a separate one!"

Changing the name of marriage at a governmental level is a petty move that serves no purpose other than to satisfy the prejudices of bigots who don't understand that their own religious objections are not universal. Don't you dare turn it around on gay people and try to make it look like they are the unreasonable ones.
Old 06-30-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Privatized marriage.

So I have to find a lawyer who'll write up the appropriate contracts? I'm sure that'll be cheap.

I have a far more elegant solution - religious organizations should butt out of things that have nothing to do with them. Problem solved.

Churches don't decide who's married in the eyes of the government. The government has said that an officiant for a wedding can sign the legal document but the service is 100% irrelevant. And since you get governmental benefits for a marriage, of course it should be involved in who gets married.

To put it more simply, which organization is necessary for a legal marriage - the church or the government? Now which one won't shut the fuck up about who can get married? Here's a hint - it's not the one that's necessary for a marriage.
Old 06-30-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So I have to find a lawyer who'll write up the appropriate contracts? I'm sure that'll be cheap.

I have a far more elegant solution - religious organizations should butt out of things that have nothing to do with them. Problem solved.

Churches don't decide who's married in the eyes of the government. The government has said that an officiant for a wedding can sign the legal document but the service is 100% irrelevant. And since you get governmental benefits for a marriage, of course it should be involved in who gets married.

To put it more simply, which organization is necessary for a legal marriage - the church or the government? Now which one won't shut the fuck up about who can get married? Here's a hint - it's not the one that's necessary for a marriage.
Old 06-30-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Privatized marriage.

That seems like a reasonable solution to me, but it doesn't appeal to people on both sides of the argument who want to use the coercive power of the state to force their values onto the whole society.
Old 06-30-13, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
That seems like a reasonable solution to me, but it doesn't appeal to people on both sides of the argument who want to use the coercive power of the state to force their values onto the whole society.
Seems like the more reasonable solution is to merely let same sex couple marry each other like all other couples.
Old 06-30-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Seems like the more reasonable solution is to merely let same sex couple marry each other like all other couples.
That would be an option under Josh-da-man's proposal, and it would be an option for many additional types of relationships that would benefit from certain legal arrangements.
Old 06-30-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The problem with polygamy isn't nebulous benefits, it's very real issues like working out who gets to make medical decisions when Husband is in a coma and Wife A wants to pull the plug but Wife B doesn't. These are surmountable problems, but someone needs to put in the hard work of coming up with a rule set before polygamy can be legalized.
I'm for "anything goes." Polygamy may have some details to work out but I recognize that if the same had been said for gay couples we wouldn't have said, "Fuck, he's right....let's put this off." Especially when a lawyer says it, I think....lawyers seem to write up everything now, and people are still sued (and sometimes lose) over things that seem like common sense to the rest of us....how bad could we really fuck this up? Whatever the answer is, it doesn't seem like enough to deny people rights.
Old 06-30-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
You are willing to allow same-sex couples to have the same rights as opposite-sex troubles as long, but only if we completely change our vocabulary around those relationships? How is that anything but petty?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.