Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Assuming it's between consenting adults, which types of marriage should be legal?
Marriage legal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
44.00%
Marriage legal for gays & incestuous couples, illegal for polygamists
2.67%
Marriage legal for gays & polygamists, illegal for incestuous couples
16.00%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples & polygamists, illegal for gays
1.33%
Marriage legal for gays, illegal for incestuous couples & polygamists
21.33%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples, illegal for gays & polygamists
1.33%
Marriage legal for polygamists, illegal for gays & incestuous couples
1.33%
Marriage illegal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
4.00%
Marriage legal for twickoff
8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Old 07-10-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Julie Walker View Post
True, they do, and that's the case. Now multiply that dysfunction times how many people are involved with each other, and it's a recipe for disaster. But some people think they can somehow overcome natural human emotions and make more complex relationships 'work'.

And a real relationship is work on the people involved. Just dating or marrying one person for example. You have your work schedule, and then your personal schedule, and try to make time with your significant other, while also being involved in whatever hobbies you may have outside of work.

Now add more people to the mix, and the times being able to spend with each other is even more limited. And if everyone spends all their free time together, it's crowded and everyone does need their own space once in a while. So I can see that leading to some tension and disastrous results.

And also then you have the issue of scheduling certain times for certain people if making special 'dates' with one person at a time. This then leaves everyone else out of the picture, but what if they were yearning for some time with the person and their schedules never work out based on the 'date' selections? Again, disaster and just to much drama to bother dealing with, but some people can try, I guess.

I agree on both accounts even if i'm not really seeing anything positive from poly relationships. And of course incest should remain off the table no matter what. But I still would love to see those who are okay with so called 'consensual incest' to back up their claims with studies that show they exist and no harm or abuse is involved. It's telling to say you're for it, and then back away from even trying to find examples of such a thing working. Sure it's taboo and rightfully so, but just trying to sound 'intellectually open minded' and go against the grain by supporting it is stupid and annoying. So someone step up to the plate and post some evidence to support such a stance.

It has nothing to do with being "intellectually open-minded", intellectually honest and consistent perhaps, but not the former, at least for me. All it takes is to find one instance of a healthy incestuous relationship and your position falls like a house of cards. Trust me, I get where you're coming from. Based on the history, based on social dynamics, based on a number of things, there is a lot of reason to think it could be rife with problems. Those things would need to be addressed for me to feel comfortable with legalizing it completely.

As far as poly relationships go, for me personally, I agree with most of what you said. For me personally. Yet I know people in healthy and happy poly relationships. Just because I couldn't do it and you couldn't do it, doesn't make a convincing argument for making it illegal. Hell, I have a hard time understanding how anyone could chose to be alone, but I'm not about to start making marriage mandatory...
Old 07-14-13, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
It has nothing to do with being "intellectually open-minded", intellectually honest and consistent perhaps, but not the former, at least for me. All it takes is to find one instance of a healthy incestuous relationship and your position falls like a house of cards. Trust me, I get where you're coming from. Based on the history, based on social dynamics, based on a number of things, there is a lot of reason to think it could be rife with problems. Those things would need to be addressed for me to feel comfortable with legalizing it completely.

As far as poly relationships go, for me personally, I agree with most of what you said. For me personally. Yet I know people in healthy and happy poly relationships. Just because I couldn't do it and you couldn't do it, doesn't make a convincing argument for making it illegal. Hell, I have a hard time understanding how anyone could chose to be alone, but I'm not about to start making marriage mandatory...
"Social dynamics"? Explain.
Old 07-14-13, 04:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julie Walker View Post
I'm surprised how many voted for the first option of legal for all of the above. But I understand some are doing it to spite creepdipper and dvdjunkie23, while some actually do condone those things which I find disturbing.
Surely you're not suggesting that fellow forum members could stoop so low as to dishonestly vote in a poll simply out of spite?

How dare you disparage other Otters & impugn their integrity!

There goes the scientific sampling for the poll results...just when it was getting ready to be published.