Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Assuming it's between consenting adults, which types of marriage should be legal?
Marriage legal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
44.00%
Marriage legal for gays & incestuous couples, illegal for polygamists
2.67%
Marriage legal for gays & polygamists, illegal for incestuous couples
16.00%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples & polygamists, illegal for gays
1.33%
Marriage legal for gays, illegal for incestuous couples & polygamists
21.33%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples, illegal for gays & polygamists
1.33%
Marriage legal for polygamists, illegal for gays & incestuous couples
1.33%
Marriage illegal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
4.00%
Marriage legal for twickoff
8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Old 07-03-13, 07:42 PM
  #426  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
And society's still here.

So I'm just trying to zero in on why, with all this gay sex that's been going on for 1000s of years, why it will be gay MARRIAGE that will cause the world to end?

If you are successful in stopping gay marriage, the gay sex will still go on every night. How will that save society from destroying itself?
Like I said, gay marriage encourages gay behavior. Social acceptance of marriage means that gay behavior is more accepted that before.
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:45 PM
  #427  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

For all you gay marriage/gay sex supporters, do you support pedophilia?
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:51 PM
  #428  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,201
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
You do realize that gay people have existed forever, right? If we don't legalize gay marriage, there will still be homosexuality. Men will still have sex with men. Women will still have sex with women. They have for 1000s of years and will continue to do so for 1000s more.

So the tipping point isn't the fact that all this gay sex is going on, but it's that it's going on and one man now has legal rights to visit his "husband" in the hospital when he's sick? The tipping point is one woman not having to pay a shitload more in inheritance taxes when her "wife" dies?

I find it absolutely ridiculous that the entire well being of society hinges on the word we let people use to describe their relationship.

Then why do gays act like they cant enjoy a happy life until the government legalizes SSM? They are still perfectly free to choose a companion and live together.
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:52 PM
  #429  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Like I said, gay marriage encourages gay behavior. Social acceptance of marriage means that gay behavior is more accepted that before.
So, let's just assume that the regular amount of unmarried gay man on man sex that's been going on for 1000s of years continues to go on at the same rate. That means society will chug along smoothly for a long time. But if we allow any of these unmarried man on man couples to call themselves "husbands" that's going to want to make MORE straight people say, "I never thought about banging someone from my own gender before, but now that gay marriage has been legalized, I'm going to start banging dudes."

And that increase from steady rates of homosexuality that's been going on for 1000s of years to a higher rate of homosexuality after all these straight people switch teams ... that's going to be the difference between society continuing to function and the world coming to an end?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:52 PM
  #430  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Then why do gays act like they cant enjoy a happy life until the government legalizes SSM? They are still perfectly free to choose a companion and live together.
Because they want to make a big scene and flaunt their homosexuality and have their loud and obnoxious "fabulous OMG" weddings.
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:54 PM
  #431  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
So, let's just assume that the regular amount of unmarried gay man on man sex that's been going on for 1000s of years continues to go on at the same rate. That means society will chug along smoothly for a long time. But if we allow any of these unmarried man on man couples to call themselves "husbands" that's going to want to make MORE straight people say, "I never thought about banging someone from my own gender before, but now that gay marriage has been legalized, I'm going to start banging dudes."

And that increase from steady rates of homosexuality that's been going on for 1000s of years to a higher rate of homosexuality after all these straight people switch teams ... that's going to be the difference between society continuing to function and the world coming to an end?

If homosexuality wasn't socially accepted, then people might think about changing their behavior to conform.
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:56 PM
  #432  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
For all you gay marriage/gay sex supporters, do you support pedophilia?
For all you gay marriage/gay sex opponents, do you support flaying puppies and putting kittens in microwaves?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:57 PM
  #433  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
For all you gay marriage/gay sex opponents, do you support flaying puppies and putting kittens in microwaves?
Explain to me why you think homosexuality is ok but pedophilia is not? Consent?
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:57 PM
  #434  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,201
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
And I would say this country's foundation would be religious freedom, not having the government forcing people to follow specific religious customs. I mean, isn't that why the pilgrims came here in the first place? Not wanting the King of England telling them which relgious practices they must follow?

How's that foundation getting torn apart? I'd say this is pretty much in tune with that. You don't get to say that Christianity trumps all because you're morally offended at anything else.
So now you are arguing that America has never held a foundation of marriage being between a man and a woman or our country wasn't founded on judeo-Christian values?
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:58 PM
  #435  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
and that post was quoting this from Draven:
Sorry...not being glued to the computer, I usually start at the last post and work backward whenever checking in on a thread that has been going awhile.
creekdipper is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 07:58 PM
  #436  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Race is an exception because there is NO moral justification for racism. How many times do I have to tell you this?

Your argument only stands if you conclusively prove that homosexuality is not a choice. This has never been established no matter what you claim. It is still debatable.
Except there WAS a moral justification for racism, not too long ago either. Using the very same book and many of the exact same verses from this book. How many times do we have to keep telling you that?

There will be no conclusive evidence that will be good enough to prove to you it's not a choice. Not the current science that clearly says it is far from a simple "lifestyle choice", not the millions of people who can tell you with firsthand certainty that it wasn't a choice, nothing. Even if god parted the heavens and told you to stop discriminating against his children, you would still find a reason to hate. Homosexuality is not a conscious choice. No one with even a rudimentary understanding of this issue believes that it is.

Luckily, this all will be moot in a couple more generations. Just like bible based racism is now...
dave-o is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:03 PM
  #437  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Explain to me why you think homosexuality is ok but pedophilia is not? Consent?
Yes. Consent. I kind of have a problem with rape. Am I supposed to be okay with rape becaue I think two people of the same gender should be able to get married?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:05 PM
  #438  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Yes. Consent. I kind of have a problem with rape. Am I supposed to be okay with rape becaue I think two people of the same gender should be able to get married?
Not the same thing.
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:05 PM
  #439  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
So now you are arguing that America has never held a foundation of marriage being between a man and a woman or our country wasn't founded on judeo-Christian values?
No, I'm not saying that. But if that's the foundation of this country is all about, why didn't we just stay in England? Did the Pilgrims come to the New World to escape all that forced gay man on man action going on in the 1600s?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:07 PM
  #440  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Not the same thing.


go on

how are sex without consent and rape two different concepts?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:10 PM
  #441  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,201
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Connects the dots, dude. Connect the dots


Look where gay marriage support was in 2004. Now look at where it is in 2012. Every one of your ultra religious bible belt states saw support for gay marriage increase by 10% points. In the past eight years support for gay marriage DOUBLED in Alabama.

Support for gay marriage in your bible belt states is increasing at AN ALARMING RATE. What do you think the numbers will look like in eight more years? I wouldn't be surprised to see those states at or near 50% in the next eight years (Virginia is already at 50%).

So, when even the bibliest bible belt states have a majority in favor of support, what happens? Will you say they're not true Christians anymore and are no longer in positition to set rules on what is "MORALLY OFFENSIVE" and what is not?
But you claimed earlier that the vast majority of states now support gay marriage. I hardly consider 12 states as a majority. Which is it? I don't think those stats reflect reality. You can't tell me that a majority of Bible believing Christians just suddenly decided to disregard the Bible in favor of conforming to society.

What did the gallup poll offer them? Free markers so you can blot out the passages in the Bible where it describes homosexuality as a great sin?
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:11 PM
  #442  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,201
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
No, I'm not saying that. But if that's the foundation of this country is all about, why didn't we just stay in England? Did the Pilgrims come to the New World to escape all that forced gay man on man action going on in the 1600s?
I didn't claim that it was the sole foundation that America stood on.
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:13 PM
  #443  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,201
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Yes. Consent. I kind of have a problem with rape. Am I supposed to be okay with rape becaue I think two people of the same gender should be able to get married?
But what if the person was born with a sexual orientation to be attracted to young people? According to you, they have no choice in the matter. Is it fair that they should be imprisoned for having these natural desires?
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:16 PM
  #444  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
But you claimed earlier that the vast majority of states now support gay marriage.
No I didn't. I didn't say vast and I didn't say majority of states. I said majority of Americans.

You are aware of that pesky little fact that that not all states have the same number of residents, aren't you?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:18 PM
  #445  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
But what if the person was born with a sexual orientation to be attracted to young people? According to you, they have no choice in the matter. Is it fair that they should be imprisoned for having these natural desires?
Yes, somebody that RAPES CHILDREN should be imprisoned.

We, as a society, tend to think that RAPING CHILDREN is kind of a problem. We tend to think of these children as VICTIMS. Now, if one of these children grows up and as an adult they make their own choices, there really isn't a victim, except when you're all grossed out by picturing that steamy man on man sex.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:20 PM
  #446  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,835
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

As a white, middle aged, raised strict Catholic, I'm still amazed at misuse of God and the bible to argue against same sex marriage, or even homosexuals.

The biggest take-a-way from Christianity is to love they neighbor. Not be hateful or surpress others. In my view, Christianity should support any caring, loving relationship.

And my personal view? Of course same sex couples should be allowed to marry. To have kids. And they should have the same accountability and responsibility as opposite sex couples.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:23 PM
  #447  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
As a white, middle aged, raised strict Catholic, I'm still amazed at misuse of God and the bible to argue against same sex marriage, or even homosexuals.

The biggest take-a-way from Christianity is to love they neighbor. Not be hateful or surpress others. In my view, Christianity should support any caring, loving relationship.

And my personal view? Of course same sex couples should be allowed to marry. To have kids. And they should have the same accountability and responsibility as opposite sex couples.
Agreed. I think that if Jesus came back to Earth today and just happened to show up at a location where the Westboro Baptist Church was picketing a child's funeral, He would not walk over and pick up a "God hates ****" sign and join the protest

It's a horrible tragedy that there are so many "Christians" who think that He would.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:29 PM
  #448  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
Explain to me why you think homosexuality is ok but pedophilia is not? Consent?
The fact that anyone needs this explained to them terrifies me. Please, get help.
dave-o is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:31 PM
  #449  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,201
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by dave-o View Post
Except there WAS a moral justification for racism, not too long ago either. Using the very same book and many of the exact same verses from this book. How many times do we have to keep telling you that?

You mean the same book that clearly says we should love our neighbors and treat everyone with love and respect? Funny I can't find one single verse where God mentions that sex with a man and a man is natural and good.

The point is you can warp the Bible to meet any agenda if you focus on a few passages. But you must take the entire message of the Bible to find the real truth.

But after reading this article, it is quite clearly that you are just presenting a common cheap tactic:




One favorite ploy by those who wish to advance the homosexual agenda in America is to compare opposition to homosexuality with the discrimination of African Americans that has characterized some portions of the American population. If you oppose the legalization of homosexuality and favor a ban on same-sex marriage, you are “just like racists who oppressed blacks in the South.”

The Bible certainly teaches very clearly that the mistreatment of one’s fellow human beings is sinful, and that God makes no distinction between humans on the basis of skin color, ethnicity, or nationality (e.g., Acts 17:26; Romans 2:11,28-29; James 2:1ff.; 1 Peter 1:17). However, behavior is a different matter. Homosexuality, by definition, entails acts that a person performs as the result of the exercise of human choice.

Notice that one’s ethnicity has nothing to do with behavior or choice. If a person’s skin is light or dark, the decisions that he or she makes is not the inevitable result of that genetic factor. Behavior is determined by non-genetic factors—including past experiences, parental and peer influence, education, and culture. A Hispanic is not more or less likely to behave in a certain way simply because of his or her genetic makeup. One whose gene pool is Hispanic is not more or less likely to prefer, say, a tamale, than one whose genetic makeup is Caucasian. Such persons will possess preferences that have arisen from sources and circumstances other than their genetic background.

In stark contrast, however, sexual appetites/ preferences have nothing to do with genetic makeup. They are the result of environment, experience, culture, and other factors that can mold and shape individuals in their personal decision-making processes. The sexual inclinations and tendencies that a homosexual insists that he inherently “feels” are no different from the feelings and inclinations that a pedophile possesses in his sexual attraction to children, or that a murderer feels with regard to his violent tendencies. The “feelings” for all three are quite obviously real; but it is a mistake to assign those feelings to any underlying genetic cause. And it is biblically and morally unacceptable for the individual to act on such feelings. Here is the essential difference between ethnicity and homosexuality. An African American cannot alter his skin color. But he can alter his behavior. And so can homosexuals.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apco...7&article=1495




Originally Posted by dave-o View Post


There will be no conclusive evidence that will be good enough to prove to you it's not a choice. Not the current science that clearly says it is far from a simple "lifestyle choice", not the millions of people who can tell you with firsthand certainty that it wasn't a choice, nothing. Even if god parted the heavens and told you to stop discriminating against his children, you would still find a reason to hate. Homosexuality is not a conscious choice. No one with even a rudimentary understanding of this issue believes that it is.

Luckily, this all will be moot in a couple more generations. Just like bible based racism is now...
So why waste your time trying to convince me? As long as I know the Bible is true, you can't.
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 08:37 PM
  #450  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,201
Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
As a white, middle aged, raised strict Catholic, I'm still amazed at misuse of God and the bible to argue against same sex marriage, or even homosexuals.

The biggest take-a-way from Christianity is to love they neighbor. Not be hateful or surpress others. In my view, Christianity should support any caring, loving relationship.

And my personal view? Of course same sex couples should be allowed to marry. To have kids. And they should have the same accountability and responsibility as opposite sex couples.
The Catholic church doesn't support homosexuality. Besides love thy neighbor doesn't mean love thy neighbor by accepting and supporting their sinful lifestyle.
dvdjunkie32 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.