Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Assuming it's between consenting adults, which types of marriage should be legal?
Marriage legal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
44.00%
Marriage legal for gays & incestuous couples, illegal for polygamists
2.67%
Marriage legal for gays & polygamists, illegal for incestuous couples
16.00%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples & polygamists, illegal for gays
1.33%
Marriage legal for gays, illegal for incestuous couples & polygamists
21.33%
Marriage legal for incestuous couples, illegal for gays & polygamists
1.33%
Marriage legal for polygamists, illegal for gays & incestuous couples
1.33%
Marriage illegal for gays, incestuous couples & polygamists
4.00%
Marriage legal for twickoff
8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Old 07-02-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Polling Views on Non-Traditional Marriages

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Of course. But millions of people grow up with single parents and turn out perfectly fine. I think the impact of the parenting is overvalued while children's socio-economic situation is a lot more impactful.
Turned out fine by what standards? I see a generation that is more full of anger and violence. Teen suicide rate continues to climb at an alarming rate. Obesity is a major problem as well.
Old 07-02-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Turned out fine by what standards? I see a generation that is more full of anger and violence. Teen suicide rate continues to climb at an alarming rate. Obesity is a major problem as well.
Well, considering that the crime rate is down pretty much across the board, you see wrong. Or are you wanting to go back to the 1950s where popping your wife in the mouth at the dinner table was considered "keeping her in line"?

And blaming obesity on the gays? This is what you are grasping at now?
Old 07-02-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Violent crimes have been decreasing dramatically since the early 1990s. Same sex couples were legally allowed to adopt children starting in the early 1990s. COINCIDENCE?
Old 07-02-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.oecd.org/els/family/CO4.4...d%20100212.pdf
Key Findings
Between
and
the
OECD
experienced
a small
d
ecline in
teenage suicide rates. While
in
, on average, 8.4
suicides per 100 000 teenagers were observed, in 2008 this rate was 6.2 suicides pe
r
100 000 teenagers. However, a
small increase was observed from 2008 to 2009.
Over the 1990
-
2009 period two
distinct trends have emerged.
From 1990
-
2000, the average
suicide rate was relatively stable at 8.1
suicides per 100
000 persons
. Then, from 2000
-
, suicide rates
have been slightly falling averaging 6.9
suicides per 100
000 persons.
So when you say "teen suicide rates continue to climb at an alarming rate," did you really mean "slightly falling?"

Also, if we're going to talk about teen suicide, how many kids are killing themselves because they have two parents of the same gender and how many of them are killing themselves because people hate them for being gay?

Last edited by RoyalTea; 07-02-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

http://www.oecd.org/els/family/CO4.4...d%20100212.pdf

So when you say "teen suicide rates continue to climb at an alarming rate," did you really mean "slightly falling?"

According to the CDC, it is on the rise:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1092622

I think I'll trust my data more since it is more recent than 2005.

Also, if we're going to talk about teen suicide, how many kids are killing themselves because they have two parents of the same gender and how many of them are killing themselves because people hate them for being gay?

So what's your point? Legalizing same sex marriage isn't going to magically erase gay bullying. Anyone who is different from the mainstream is a bully target with cyber bullying adding a new vicious layer to the problem. Remembre the video from last year where the kids on the school bus harassed and mentally tortured the poor old woman who was the bus monitor? Yeah, kids in my generation had a lot more respect for elders and hardly ever had the balls to do something like that. We had fathers who would bust our rear ends if we acted up like that.
Old 07-02-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How can you link your data to gay people getting married and adopting children?

And what about your claim that violence is up? All the stats I've seen says that violent crime has been decreasing quite dramatically since the early 1990s. Sure, in a 24-hour-news cycle, invidiual reports of violence get a lot more attention, but how can you even say that things are getting more violent, let alone link it to homosexuality?
Old 07-02-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So what's your point? Legalizing same sex marriage isn't going to magically erase gay bullying. Anyone who is different from the mainstream is a bully target with cyber bullying adding a new vicious layer to the problem. Remembre the video from last year where the kids on the school bus harassed and mentally tortured the poor old woman who was the bus monitor? Yeah, kids in my generation had a lot more respect for elders and hardly ever had the balls to do something like that. We had fathers who would bust our rear ends if we acted up like that.
So just imagine how respectful and well-behaved you would have been with two dads!
Old 07-02-13, 03:05 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Sounds like news by the 700 Club.... Massive hurricane blasts the US.. Those gays are at it again. Suicide bombers crash into the WTC.. oh those gays...

When will they stop causing these disasters.
Old 07-02-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kids in your generation didn't have ubiquitous cell phone cameras recording everybody's every move. I'm sure your generation did some pretty fucked up things. They were just able to get away with it since it wasn't going to be immediately uploaded to youtube.
Old 07-02-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by uberjoe View Post
So just imagine how respectful and well-behaved you would have been with two dads!
Old 07-02-13, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe View Post
I would probably be a shitty cook and not know how to do laundry then.
Old 07-02-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even in that study, the rate increased from 6.3 to 7.8 from 2009 to 2011, but 7.8 is still lower than the average of 8.1 during the 1990s, showing an overall decline, despite the blip in 2011. The rate in the two previous surveys (2009 and 2007) were the lowest in the study's history, at least as far back as their fact sheets list.
Old 07-02-13, 03:13 PM

I would probably be a shitty cook and not know how to do laundry then.
My dad did most of the cooking and laundry in our household.
Old 07-02-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Even in that study, the rate increased from 6.3 to 7.8 from 2009 to 2011, but 7.8 is still lower than the average of 8.1 during the 1990s, showing an overall decline, despite the blip in 2011. The two previous surveys (2009 and 2007) were the lowest in the study's history, at least as far back as their fact sheets list.
If there's a one year spike, I'd tend to want to attribute that to a specific event, rather than a general trend of increasing immorality.

I know that suidcide rates among 30+ year olds have seen a real drastic spike in the last five years. I'd tend to say that has something more to do with the economy and people losing jobs than it does to the general trend of gay marriage.
Old 07-02-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
My dad did most of the cooking and laundry in our household.
Yes, but which dad?
Old 07-02-13, 03:21 PM

How can you link your data to gay people getting married and adopting children?

And what about your claim that violence is up? All the stats I've seen says that violent crime has been decreasing quite dramatically since the early 1990s. Sure, in a 24-hour-news cycle, invidiual reports of violence get a lot more attention, but how can you even say that things are getting more violent, let alone link it to homosexuality?
Are you going to at least admit you are wrong about the suicide rate? Of course not.

I'm not linking it directly to homosexuality. The point was in response to the claim that kids raised by single parents turn out just fine.

When I say this generation is more violent than previous generations, I am not refering to the quantity of crimes commited. It's the nature of crimes. How many mass shootings did we have 30 years or more ago? It was unheard of for someone to go into a movie theater and mow down ppl. Kids didn't have to live in fear that a classmate might decide to just murder everyone at school. How many of these mass shootings have thankfully been stopped, or currently being planned in someone's mind right now?
Old 07-02-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you going to at least admit you are wrong about the suicide rate? Of course not.
There was a one year increase in suicide rates after years of decline. I was wrong about one year. Sorry.
Old 07-02-13, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

I am fully for legalizing prostitution and drugs nationwide. We could tax them, set health standards for prostitutes, make sure the drugs aren't laced with bleach. It would be quite good.

On the other hand, hookers and blow would be slightly less thrilling if it were legal.
Old 07-02-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Same Sex Marriage: 2018

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Ummmm...I hate to break the news to you, but to MOST people, polygamy & incest involves humans. I know some of us have relatives that we consider to be pigs, but I think that's just a figure of speech.

Where did you come up with 'bestiality'?

BTW...I was responding to some posts that were replying to earlier posts before noticing the later thread with the poll, so I have posted further comments there. However, just couldn't let the rather bizarre comment from slop go unchallenged.
I see. You have zero ability for abstract thought.
Old 07-02-13, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
On the other hand, hookers and blow would be slightly less thrilling if it were legal.
Still, best Walmart run ever?
Old 07-02-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

There was a one year increase in suicide rates after years of decline. I was wrong about one year. Sorry.
Now admit that gay marriage is wrong!
Old 07-02-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not linking it directly to homosexuality. The point was in response to the claim that kids raised by single parents turn out just fine.
How can you even link it to single parents?
Old 07-02-13, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Well, considering that the crime rate is down pretty much across the board, you see wrong. Or are you wanting to go back to the 1950s where popping your wife in the mouth at the dinner table was considered "keeping her in line"?

There you go again. Paralleling a scenario with an unrelated ugly scenario to force me into a negative position. Unless you have hardcore prove showing me that this was the norm in the 1950s, your question is invalid. At least more kids back then had a two parent home and families ate dinner together. Nowadays, mom or dad as the single breadwinner is too tired to cook a nutritional dinner after work so they pick up some take out. Is it any wonder why kids are getting obese?
Old 07-02-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nowadays, mom or dad as the single breadwinner is too tired to cook a nutritional dinner after work so they pick up some take out.
Sounds like a situation where a having second father would be better than a single father.

I believe you said earlier that you would have no problem outlawing divorce. But if there's a death, how much time should the widow(er) have before getting forced to remarry, assuming there are children under 18 in the household?
Old 07-02-13, 03:45 PM

Well go back to 2007 and they were talking about the highest increase in 15 years. Hardly just a one year anomaly.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0907221530.htm

Sounds like a six year trend to me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.