Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Old 06-27-13, 01:21 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rPOKm20wP4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a nutshell, An IRS contractor broke his foot playing football at a US Military prep school almost 30 years ago. He never saw combat. He owns a small business and gets to qualify for special consideration in gov't contracts because it's a "service-disabled, veteran-owned small business."

He filed with the VA and was given a 30% disability rating.

Tammy Duckworth is a representative from Illinois. She fought in the Iraq war and lost both of her legs and almost lost her right arm. Doctors are still worried that her right arm may not survive. Her arm has a 20% disability rating.

In his letter to the VA, in order to help secure gov't contracts, this guy had the gall to write: "These are crosses that I bear due to my service to our great country and I would do it again to protect this great country"

Duckworth's response:

"I’m so glad that you would be willing to play football in prep school again to protect this great country. Shame on you. You may not have broken any laws … but you certainly broke the trust of this great nation. You broke the trust of veterans. Iraq and Afghanistan veterans right now are waiting an average of 237 days for an initial disability rating. It is because people like you who are gaming the system are adding to that backlog that young men and women who are suffering from post-traumatic stress, who are missing limbs cannot get the compensation and the help that they need."

8:00 long video, but it's eight amazing minutes of a phony just getting torn to shreds.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 02:17 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BearFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 8,009
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

That was nice ... it is the mentality of people like this asshole that makes this country worse. He and scum like him are flat out giving a giant middle finger to every tax paying American ... and worse to those who are suffering from legit injuries.
BearFan is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 02:43 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 21,701
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

"I thank the Gentlelady, and the time was well spent."
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 02:47 PM
  #4  
Video Game Talk Reviewer
 
Canis Firebrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "Vryce"/Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 13,857
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
"I thank the Gentlelady, and the time was well spent."
That was a great point in the video. As was her statement that her arm, that was almost lost and may still be received only a 20% disability rating when this guy's broken foot from 30 years ago received 30%
Canis Firebrand is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 02:52 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

The "does your foot hurt" opening statement needs to be enshrined in the Passive-Aggressive Hall of Fame.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 04:10 PM
  #6  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: America
Posts: 957
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Interesting, but don't make the assumption that Duckworth is only receiving 20% disability. She is receiving 20% for the arm, at least 30% for each leg, lots of related 10% I'm sure, plus Tricare for life, etc...

If this dude was at a U.S. Military prep school, which presumably would lead to West Point or a college ROTC commission (school that the military would pay for), and presumably signs some sort of intent contract before attending this prep school, the military bears the burden of financial responsibility for injury, regardless of the cause. Cause is irrelevant. I guarantee this football game was "mandatory fun".

"I’m so glad that you would be willing to play football in prep school again to protect this great country. Shame on you. You may not have broken any laws … but you certainly broke the trust of this great nation. You broke the trust of veterans. Iraq and Afghanistan veterans right now are waiting an average of 237 days for an initial disability rating. It is because people like you who are gaming the system are adding to that backlog that young men and women who are suffering from post-traumatic stress, who are missing limbs cannot get the compensation and the help that they need."
This statement is full of lies and half truths. If you have lost a limb in the service and are determined to be unfit for military service, you don't even get a date to get out until after you receive your disability rating. And after you get a rating you give the VA a banking account, you know routing numbers and such and then you get a date to get out of the service. Same goes for PTSD or any service connected injury where the servicemember is ruled unfit for duty.

The people who are fucking up the system are the dumb asses who decided to get out without filing with the VA to get a rating determination. In the Army you are encouraged to begin preparing to get out a year in advance to your actually Expiration of Term of Service (ETS) date. But the Army doesn't force anyone to do what they should be doing but don't because they're fucking idiots.

If this dude got his compensation from the VA thirty years ago he is not adversely effecting someones disability claim today.

And why jump his shit, he just filled out the paperwork, the VA made the determination, and it's the VA's antiquated system that is causing the backlog not the number of veterans.

I remember a dude in basic training that snapped his femur and he got 100% disability, and he never saw combat and was only in the Army about 3 weeks.

Shame on this politician for denigrating anyone's service for political gain, regardless of how the service played out.

But what do I know, I was never a weekend warrior anyhow. See it's easy to mock someones service.

Shit, I got 80% and most of the parts are original, most, but not all.
Philzilla is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 04:17 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
Interesting, but don't make the assumption that Duckworth is only receiving 20% disability. She is receiving 20% for the arm, at least 30% for each leg, lots of related 10% I'm sure, plus Tricare for life, etc...
True, but assume it's just an arm injury. Nothing happened to her leg, nothing happened anywhere else. Just her arm.

Breaking a foot in prep school (30%) > Having your arm blown off and reattached in war (20%)

That still seems messed up.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 04:26 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
True, but assume it's just an arm injury. Nothing happened to her leg, nothing happened anywhere else. Just her arm.

Breaking a foot in prep school (30%) > Having your arm blown off and reattached in war (20%)

That still seems messed up.
That does seem messed up, but it's not necessarily his fault. My response to her "my arm is only 20%" would have been "looks like you need to take that up with the VA, ma'am."
Rockmjd23 is online now  
Old 06-27-13, 04:32 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that he got into West Point, went to the US Military Academy Prep school, but never went to the actual USMA. His undergrad was at the University of San Diego.

Should one year at a prep school count as military service?

If two companies are finalists for the same government contract and company A is owned by someone who got a purple heart in Vietnam and company B is owned by someone who got an ouchie on his foot as a teenager playing football at a prep school affiliated with the USMA, who wants to equate those small businesses as both being the same "service-disabled, veteran-owned?"
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 04:44 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,409
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

He took advantage of the situation is all. He's a giant douche, so be it.
RichC2 is online now  
Old 06-27-13, 04:48 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Personally, I disagree with using any type of veteran status to determine who gets contracts, so to me it doesn't matter.
Rockmjd23 is online now  
Old 06-27-13, 05:28 PM
  #12  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: America
Posts: 957
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
True, but assume it's just an arm injury. Nothing happened to her leg, nothing happened anywhere else. Just her arm.

Breaking a foot in prep school (30%) > Having your arm blown off and reattached in war (20%)

That still seems messed up.
I'm sure this dude is some real piece of work, but why jump his shit when he is just following the rules established by politicians just like Duckworth.

Does Duckworth really need the 2 grand a month VA payment when she makes $15,000 a month as a senator? Or for that matter whatever job she might do in the future with her military funded education.

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that he got into West Point, went to the US Military Academy Prep school, but never went to the actual USMA. His undergrad was at the University of San Diego.

Should one year at a prep school count as military service?

If two companies are finalists for the same government contract and company A is owned by someone who got a purple heart in Vietnam and company B is owned by someone who got an ouchie on his foot as a teenager playing football at a prep school affiliated with the USMA, who wants to equate those small businesses as both being the same "service-disabled, veteran-owned?"
Does three weeks of basic training count as service? Does DarkestPhoenix setting on a FOB for 9 months equate with me going outside the wire everyday for 15 months? I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate, wait sorry wrong thread.
I don't know but some bureaucrat made the determination that it does.

Govt. contracts and veteran status: It's a point system and things like Purple Hearts and disabled veteran status adds points to the contract evaluation, up to 4 points I think. The more categories a business qualifies for the more points it receives. But these things only get you to the front of the line so to speak.

But that dude is just playing by the rules established by congress, Duckworth should look in the mirror before publicly shaming some dude who is following the rules.

Fuck, using her logic I should get more money for my disabilities then she does because I was in the RA (Real Army...I mean Regular Army) not some National Guard flunky.

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Personally, I disagree with using any type of veteran status to determine who gets contracts, so to me it doesn't matter.
I wouldn't worry too much about that since I believe it is less than 10 percent of the population who are veterans, and currently only one percent of the population serves today. So I doubt you have lost any government contracts.

Anywho, here is the VA Disability ratings schedule just for shits and giggles.
Philzilla is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 05:33 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about that since I believe it is less than 10 percent of the population who are veterans, and currently only one percent of the population serves today. So I doubt you have lost any government contracts.
I doubt I have either. I would hope the best candidates regardless of veteran status receive government contracts.
Rockmjd23 is online now  
Old 06-27-13, 05:46 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
Does three weeks of basic training count as service?
Let me put it this way.

Man enlists. Three weeks into basic training, gets hurt. Regardless of the circumstances. Military career is over. Thank you for your service.

Man enlists. Three weeks into basic training, gets hurt. Got hurt horsing around at a bar on a weekend pass. Still, Thank you for your service. But if this guy, 30 years later, is trying to get gov't contracts as being "service disabled," I'll still say he's gaming the system in a way in which it wasn't intended to be gamed.

Someone who signs up for the national guard may still have never actually served in combat, but they still signed up and took that risk. At any point in their service, war could break out and they could be called up. Is there any chance at all that anybody at the USMA Prep school who bails out and doesn't go to West Point would ever be called up to active duty, as a teenager?

Last edited by RoyalTea; 06-28-13 at 07:23 AM.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 08:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,903
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
Shame on this politician for denigrating anyone's service for political gain, regardless of how the service played out.
Are you shitting us? There was ZERO service in his injury, and he describes it as "These are crosses that I bear due to my service to our great country and I would do it again to protect this great country (see first post)"
Jason is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 08:44 PM
  #16  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: America
Posts: 957
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Are you shitting us? There was ZERO service in his injury, and he describes it as "These are crosses that I bear due to my service to our great country and I would do it again to protect this great country (see first post)"
No just shitting you
Philzilla is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 11:33 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,164
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
I guarantee this football game was "mandatory fun".
The mandatory fun in quotes is laughable. He played because he wanted to play. By the way his injury didn't stop him from playing college football after he left the prep school.

For what it is worth he keeps changing his story and now the injury occurred during another activity.

Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
If this dude got his compensation from the VA thirty years ago he is not adversely effecting someones disability claim today.
Actually he got his disability rating just before he opened Strong Castle which opened in 2012.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 09:06 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,591
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Another IRS employee pleads the Fifth:
Second IRS official invokes Fifth Amendment before House panel
Published: June 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM



WASHINGTON, June 26 (UPI) -- A second IRS employee invoked the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination Wednesday in an appearance before the U.S. House oversight committee.

Gregory Roseman, who was a deputy director of acquisitions at the Internal Revenue Service, invoked his right when Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., began to question him about panel findings that he helped a friend procure IRS contracts potentially worth $500 million.

Issa: "Before I continue, and because this committee is acutely aware that one or more on the panel may choose to assert their Fifth Amendment rights, and because this chair does not want to have anyone waive that right accidentally, involuntarily, or in any other way, does anyone here at this time intend to invoke their Fifth Amendment rights?

Mr. Roseman?"

Roseman: "Yes, sir, I do intend to waive my -- I intend to invoke Fifth Amendment right to be silent."

"Mr. Chairman, on the advice and counsel, I respectfully decline to answer any questions, invoke my Fifth Amendment privilege to remain silent," Roseman said when asked to whom he reported.

The committee Tuesday released a report alleging Roseman's "cozy relationship" with Strong Castle Inc. President Braulio Castillo helped the company secure contracts worth a possible $500 million.

In May, Lois Lerner, who led the IRS division on tax-exempt organizations before she was placed on administrative leave, invoked her right to remain silent during a hearing on the agency's scandal last month.

When Issa asked Roseman when he became aware of a company called Strong Castle Inc., Roseman, who since has been removed from his position, again invoked his Fifth Amendment right.

In his opening statement, Issa said: "Our investigation is still in its infancy. Today, we are working with the I.G. [inspector general] and hope to work with others within the IRS to end this problem."

Ranking Democrat Elijah Cummings of Maryland said the evidence obtained by the committee "indicates at least an appearance of impropriety, because Mr. Roseman did not disclose this relationship or recuse himself from the contracting process."

The IRS, already embroiled in a scandal over disclosures it wrongly targeted conservative groups applying for a tax exemption, awarded the contracts to Strong Castle Inc., an information technology firm in Leesburg, Va., because of the relationship between Roseman and Castillo, the panel's report said.

Castillo bought the business with his wife in January 2012, and within six months Strong Castle had upwards of a half-billion dollars in IRS contracts, the committee report said.

Before Castillo took over the company, it had no federal contracts, the report said.

But Roseman told Castillo on Dec. 31, 2011, shortly before he bought the business, the company would be "Fortune 500 in no time," the report said.


"By inappropriately using a personal relationship and abusing a provision designed to help disadvantaged businesses, the IRS and Strong Castle have made a mockery of fair and open competition for government contracts," Issa said in a statement.

Castillo had denied the friendship in an interview with CNS News in February but later told congressional investigators he and Roseman were friends.

The House Oversight report also asked why Castillo received a special designation as a "service-disabled veteran-owned small business" 27 years after being injured in military prep school.

"He was able to get this designation despite the fact that he never actively served as a member of the armed services, he played college football after the injury and 27 years went by before he sought the designation as a disabled veteran," the report said.

"Castillo sought the disabled-veteran designation only months before he purchased the company," the report added.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/...9581372228200/
wishbone is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 09:25 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

But Roseman told Castillo on Dec. 31, 2011, shortly before he bought the business, the company would be "Fortune 500 in no time," the report said.
with that kind of cronyism, I wonder why he had to act as if breaking his foot as a teenager are "crosses to bear for defending this country" in the first place.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 11:28 AM
  #20  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: America
Posts: 957
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
The mandatory fun in quotes is laughable. He played because he wanted to play. By the way his injury didn't stop him from playing college football after he left the prep school.
Take it up with the VA.
And since he was good enough to play college football, you can bet your ass West Point wanted him to pay football for them too. That's what these military funded prep schools are for, to get kids prepared to attend the service academys.
And mandatory fun is standard practice in the Army.

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
For what it is worth he keeps changing his story and now the injury occurred during another activity.
Take it up with the VA.
For the record the VA established his disability rating based on medical evidence, service history and medical examinations performed by VA or military medical personnel as necessary.

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Actually he got his disability rating just before he opened Strong Castle which opened in 2012.
That's why I used the conjunction "if"

Definition of IF
a : in the event that
b : allowing that
c : on the assumption that
d : on condition that

Oh, and take it up with the VA.

None of that changes the fact that Duckworth's statement is full of lies and half truths, so that she can score political points.

I mean what's the big revelation here, is it that the Federal Government has its head up its ass? Is that where the shock and outrage is coming from?
Nothing more powerful than internet outrage. See below for more hilarious examples.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...1one-ptii.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...es-n-word.html
Philzilla is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 08:19 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,346
Re: Tammy Duckworth's Epic Smackdown of Phony disabled vet

...that he helped a friend procure IRS contracts potentially worth $500 million....

It could be a Trillion and the media wouldn't give it the time of day. Heck...they haven't hardly mentioned him pretending to be a injured Vet having a IRS buddy steering Goverment contracts his way.The media wants to bury any IRS story asap because it's damaging Obama.

In the media's eye's the real big story and issue effecting everyone is what Paula Dean said 20+ years ago...
K&AJones is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.