Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Texas Legislature Dun Goofed

Old 06-26-13, 03:02 AM
Banned by request

Texas Legislature Dun Goofed

It's too long to post the whole story here, but take a look at this: http://www.texastribune.org/2013/06/...l-session-wan/

TL;DR version:

Texas bill SB5, which would close almost all of the abortion clinics in the state, is filibustered by state Senator Wendy Davis, who speaks for hours. She gets public support from Obama and other heavy hitters. A huge crowd fills the building in support. They take up to chanting in order to drown out the proceedings to delay a vote. After midnight, against their own rules, the legislature then votes on SB5. The vote wins, and immediately chaos breaks out. Democratic senators are saying the vote is invalid, others are saying they though they were voting on a motion to table SB5, not a vote on the bill itself, and more.

Meanwhile, the legislature's own records, which are also available online, show the vote was cast after midnight, making it invalid. The timestamp on the official record is then changed to make it look like the vote took place before midnight! Of course, people aren't idiots and immediately before and after screenshots come pouring out. Democratic senators even pull up some of the before and after photos. The whole thing is streaming live through on various websites. People are watching state senators blatantly violating their own rules.

The chairman calls for a caucus to determine whether or not the vote was valid. Right now it's looking like its not, although the Texas Tribune site is still saying it's up in the air. Edit: Their liveblog is reporting that the vote was declared invalid. But the whole thing is nuts.

Oh yeah, and as it was happening, only the Texas Tribune and Twitter were reporting it. CNN was doing a segment on how many calories were in muffins. Seriously.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-26-13 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-26-13, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Texas Legislature Dun Goofed

So, uhh, how many calories ARE in muffins?

If only Republicans could focus on bigger issues than their "breed, you bitches" platform.
Old 06-26-13, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone give me the gist of what the bill was about? Was it stricter regs or requirements to have an abortion? I need to know so I can be properly enraged and or disinterested in turn.
Old 06-26-13, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
Can someone give me the gist of what the bill was about? Was it stricter regs or requirements to have an abortion? I need to know so I can be properly enraged and or disinterested in turn.
This is from the AP:

The bill bans abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy and requires that all procedures take place in a surgical center. Doctors who perform abortions would also need admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles.
The current law bans abortions after 24 weeks of pregnancy. And the surgical center requirement would shut down 37 of the 42 abortion clinics in Texas until they bring their facilities up to code.
Old 06-26-13, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

From http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...ht-session.ece :

The bill would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, require all abortion clinics to meet high standards of surgical centers, place new requirements on the prescriptions of abortion-inducing pills and make all doctors performing abortions receive admitting privileges at hospitals within 30 miles of their facilities.
In a thin voice diminished by fatigue after spending all night guiding the bill to passage, Laubenberg said her goal was “to see as few abortions as possible” and said she thought the bill would be a step in that direction.

Opponents warned the bill was designed to deny access to abortions, making them more expensive, muscling doctors out of practice and shutting down 80 percent of Texas abortion facilities.
Old 06-26-13, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rarely say this, but good for her. The GOP Legislature in Texas generally does a good job on keeping taxes, spending , and the debt low ... but they are totally wrong on stuff like this.
Old 06-26-13, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are the "stringent" regs though? Is this a reaction to the charnel house in PA?
Old 06-26-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have been meaning to ask. Do these laws that we are seeing springing up in several states that seem to not be in keeping with the 24-week viability standard set by Roe v. Wade at least cite some sort of legitimate scientific basis for re-defining viability at 20 weeks? Or are they just poking the Federal courts with a pointy stick and seeing if it reacts?

Regardless, an embarrassing day for Texas. Even the poll numbers are not in their favor:

After conducting a survey among a representative sample of state residents between June 17 and 19, the polling firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (GQR) found that 63 percent of registered voters think the Lone Star State already has enough anti-abortion laws on the books. Seventy one percent think the legislature should be more focused on the economy and jobs instead of social policies to police women’s reproductive rights.
Based on the fact that the bill would close the vast majority of clinics in the state alone, I would expect the law to be stymied by a Federal injunction before it takes effect. It seems pretty easy to show cause that the law was written specifically with that objective, not in the service of addressing a legitimate public health concern.
Old 06-26-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopfully they will just let this die and not call another special session ... the vast majority of actual state business was finished between the regular legislative session and the start of the special session... so just let them go home and come back in 2 years and they can tell the churchers "well, we tried"
Old 06-26-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This bill does not have an exception for rape or incest. When asked about it, the House sponsor (Jodie Laubenberg) responded that the bill didn't need a rape exception because "In the emergency room they have what's called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out."
Old 06-26-13, 09:13 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Every time they do this, I want to crawl under a rock, but there they are.
Old 06-26-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to see they're as gracious as ever in defeat

Old 06-26-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This bill does not have an exception for rape or incest. When asked about it, the House sponsor (Jodie Laubenberg) responded that the bill didn't need a rape exception because "In the emergency room they have what's called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out."
Perfect
Old 06-26-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if anybody will be prosecuted for the attempt to defraud the people of Texas by altering the timestamp?

Just kidding! Of course nobody will be prosecuted!
Old 06-26-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not normally very political but I watched the live stream for about 6 hours last night. The last 15 minutes leading up to midnight was pretty nuts.
Old 06-26-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wendy Davis is hot, particularly for 50.

Old 06-26-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife was actually down at the capital apparently standing next to Cecile Richards and the head of the Texas Democratic Party all night. They never made it into the gallery, but were out in the rotunda (so they weren't responsible for delaying the vote).

The way they broke the filibuster was unbelievable bullshit too. Davis was warned earlier in the day for not staying germane to the bill. She got a second warning around 7pm because another senator handed her a backbrace (and possibly helped her put it on). When filibustering you must stand on your own, on-aided and they felt that violated the rule. Then around 10pm she mentioned a 2011 ruling on RU486 which her opponents decided was not germane to the abortion debate. That was her third strike and the filibuster was over.

As my wife said, this is just a hollow victory though. Perry will almost assuredly call a second special session to ram this through. Fortunately the Republicans got a little bit of a black eye with how they handled this.
Old 06-26-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So there's no provision for abortion in these cases because the hospital automatically performs one?

Brilliant!
Old 06-26-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
So there's no provision for abortion in these cases because the hospital automatically performs one?

Brilliant!
Unless, of course, the rapist has imprisoned the victim for 20+ weeks after impregnating her.
Old 06-26-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
Unless, of course, the rapist has imprisoned the victim for 20+ weeks after impregnating her.
Or a woman in a tiny town in Texas is raped and lives 6 hours away from the big city and the only abortion clinic around since the rest of them had to close...with no way to get herself there. But yes, let's continue to "protect" these poor fragile women who can't be trusted to make their own decisions about their bodies.
Old 06-26-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-26-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
And the surgical center requirement would shut down 37 of the 42 abortion clinics in Texas until they bring their facilities up to code.
The irony of Texas of all places using regulations to shut down lawful enterprises.
Old 06-26-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like this one:

Old 06-26-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-26-13, 01:08 PM

I hope all these people responding to Lieutenant Governor Dewhurst on his FB account realize that Governor Perry will just call a special session and the Texas legislature will pass the bill anyway, antics, protests, and filibusters aside. Sure, it's a stupid, onerous, malicious, and petty piece of legislation, but the Texas GOP wants it, and they run things in that state these days.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.