Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Chelsea Clinton Laments: My Great Grandmother Did Not Have Access to Planned Parentho

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Chelsea Clinton Laments: My Great Grandmother Did Not Have Access to Planned Parentho

Old 06-20-13, 11:49 PM
Political Exile

Chelsea doesn't seem to have a lot of logic going around in her head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

Grandfather paradox

The grandfather paradox is a proposed paradox of time travel first described by the science fiction writer René Barjavel in his 1943 book Le Voyageur Imprudent (Future Times Three). The paradox is described as following: the time traveller went back in time to the time when his grandfather had not married yet. At that time, the time traveller kills his grandfather, and therefore, the time traveller is never born when he was meant to be.

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/06/20/c...ed-parenthood/

Chelsea Clinton Laments: My Great Grandmother Did Not Have Access to Planned Parenthood

June 20, 2013

New York, NY (CFAM) — From the stage at the recent Women Deliver conference, former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s daughter Chelsea revealed that her much-admired maternal grandmother was the child of unwed teenage parents who “did not have access to services that are so crucial that Planned Parenthood helps provide.”

Chelsea’s grandmother was born of an unintended pregnancy.
And new research shows that her family is not alone in treasuring a person who – if Planned Parenthood had been successful – would not have been born.

“Every child a wanted child” is the rallying cry of family planning organizations that promote abortion as a way to achieve that goal. The New York Times Magazine recently described a study of women who were turned away from abortion clinics because their pregnancies were too far along. Researchers found that in the vast majority of cases – 95% – the mothers bonded with their babies. A significant percentage later denied having ever sought an abortion, despite the fact they were included in the study on that basis.

In a different long-term study, Dr. Rebecca Callahan observed a similar change in attitude among mothers with unwanted pregnancies in rural Bangladesh. Although 42% of the women initially labeled their pregnancies as unwanted, over half of them changed their views retrospectively. Over 60% of women who originally stated their intention to have no more children classified subsequent births as wanted or, at worst, mistimed. Callahan presented her findings at the 2013 meeting of the Population Association of America.

Instead of focusing on the positive finding that women’s initial aversion or ambivalence about pregnancy does not mean the child will be unwanted, Callahan expressed concern that “the rationalization of births as wanted distorts the true level of unintended pregnancy.”

While neither study examined why the women’s preliminary attitudes toward their pregnancies were negative, both were dismissive of the mothers’ eventual change of heart. “It’s psychologically in our interest to tell a positive story and move forward,” Dr. Katie Watson told The New York Times Magazine. “[I]t’s wonderfully functional for women who have children to be glad they have them,”

The fact that many wanted children result from unwanted pregnancies calls into question the very reason for organizations like Planned Parenthood and the United Nations Population Fund, whose mission statement seeks “to ensure that every pregnancy is wanted.”

The Guttmacher Institute, founded by Planned Parenthood, publishes articles warning of the dire consequences for “unwanted” children – implying that they would have been better off never being born. Despite current research demonstrating that an unplanned pregnancy does not necessarily predict an unwanted child, these findings are rarely used to develop interventions to encourage expectant mothers to embrace their unplanned offspring or consider placing them for adoption.

Experts have observed a tendency among researchers to make these recommendations reflective of the priorities of their organizations. The ongoing study by an abortion advocacy group examining women turned away from abortion tends to downplay the findings that characterize abortion or unnecessary or harmful. Gynecologist Dr. Byron Calhoun described how medical journals routinely downplay the link between abortion and preterm birth despite the evidence contained in the articles they published.
Old 06-20-13, 11:56 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Chelsea Clinton Laments: My Great Grandmother Did Not Have Access to Planned Pare

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
And you?
Old 06-21-13, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Chelsea Clinton Laments: My Great Grandmother Did Not Have Access to Planned Pare

Chelsea Clinton has invented time travel?
Old 06-21-13, 03:51 AM
Banned by request

I'm almost certain there was a Futurama about this...
Old 06-21-13, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Chelsea wasn't and isn't the brightest nickel on the block.

Even genius or near genius parents doth not a bright child make.
Old 06-21-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I give Planned Parenthood $5 a month. Because of this thread, I just increased it to $10 a month.
Old 06-21-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I give Planned Parenthood $5 a month. Because of this thread, I just increased it to $10 a month.
*handing you a folded bill* Let's make it twenty.
Old 06-21-13, 10:17 AM
Admin-Thanos

Well my opinion on Planned Parenthood has done a 180. Thanks grundle!

Old 06-21-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
*handing you a folded bill* Let's make it twenty.
Old 06-21-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What the heck, while I generally support Planned Parenthood's mission, I've never done anything about it. I just chipped in $25 through their website.
Old 06-21-13, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'd think this would get grundle on Planned Parenthood's side -- think about it, by donating to them you might be preventing the next Bill Clinton!
Old 06-21-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
What the heck, while I generally support Planned Parenthood's mission, I've never done anything about it. I just chipped in $25 through their website.
Old 06-21-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post

Yeah, she seems to be saying that she'd rather her great grandmother have had an abortion. I wish she had too, but what a fucking terrible arguement.
Old 06-21-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something that I don't understand about planned parenthood.

They provide abortions and then there's all this other wonderful stuff that the do that has nothing to do with pregnancy (cancer screenings, etc). So anybody who wants to cut funding from planned parenthood is accused of not caring about all the other wonderful stuff they do that has nothing to do with pregnancy.

So why doesn't the organization split up? Wouldn't they have access to more possible funders of the cancer screening and other shit if there was a clear line dividing that from the abortions?
Old 06-21-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Why don't they just go out of business? Take away their abortions business, and that's what will happen.
Old 06-21-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't they just go out of business? Take away their abortions business, and that's what will happen.
But what about all the good things they do? Nobody wants to fund that?

And how much of PP makes a profit? Are they charging for abortions? I thought it was a charity.

Last edited by RoyalTea; 06-21-13 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Planned Parenthood is a not-for-profit organization that does charge for some of its services, much like Goodwill and the Salvation Army.

Speaking of the Salvation Army, they do all this wonderful stuff like feeding the hungry and clothing the poor, then they also engage in religious proselytization. So why doesn't the organization split up? Wouldn't they have access to more possible funders of the feeding and other shit if there was a clear line dividing that from the religious indoctrination?
Old 06-21-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She was a National Merit semifinalist and graduated with honors from Stanford. What is your evidence for her alleged stupidity? Is it the same as my first sentence?
Old 06-21-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She's ugly, doesn't matter how stupid she is. If she feels so bad about her greatgrandmother not getting an abortion, she should slaughter all her living spawn. Same effect.
Old 06-21-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by dork View Post
What is your evidence for her alleged stupidity?
Saying you wish your great grandmother had access to planned parenthood is pretty fucking stupid.
Old 06-21-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having "Chelsea Clinton wishes her grandmother had never been born" as your takeaway from that article is pretty fucking stupid.

Up next: why Martin Luther King was a moron for thinking slavery was a bad thing. I suppose he'd be happier if his great grandparents had never met on the southern plantation on which they were enslaved?
Old 06-21-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Saying you wish your great grandmother had access to planned parenthood is pretty fucking stupid.
Good thing she didn't say that, then.
Old 06-21-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
You'd think this would get grundle on Planned Parenthood's side -- think about it, by donating to them you might be preventing the next Bill Clinton!
You, sir, are approaching Chelsea Clintonian levels of reading comprehension.

I salute you.
Old 06-21-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, because Planned Parenthood's only function is to murder babies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...Pa2C_blog.html

And thanks for explaining time paradoxes grundle. The new Star Trek movies start to make sense now!

Originally Posted by grundle
To someone less logical, it can "seem" that way, can't it?
Old 06-21-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just think, if grundle was interested in sex, we might have a little John Galt running around out there somewhere, making speeches on a playground about how sharing your toys is evil.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.