Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Six teens convicted of Stockholm gang rape will not have to spend any time in prison

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Six teens convicted of Stockholm gang rape will not have to spend any time in prison

Old 06-19-13, 09:20 PM
Political Exile

This is despicable.

For a country with a reputation of being one of the best when it comes to women's rights, this certainly suggests that the reputation is not justified.

http://www.thelocal.se/48500/20130614/

Six teens convicted of Stockholm gang rape

June 14, 2013

Six teenage boys aged 15 to 17 were convicted on Friday after raping a 15-year-old girl in a north-western suburb of Stockholm in March.

Five of the teens were found guilty of aggravated rape by the Solna District Court on Friday, with the sixth guilty of attempted aggravated rape.

The attack took place in early March at an apartment in Tensta, where one of the teens dealt out condoms while the other five took turns raping the 15-year-old girl.

The court took into account that the girl's information included "a cohesive, long, and relatively detailed account" of the incident that did not contain "any contradictions or elements to the story that could be considered inexplicable".

Despite denying the incident occurred when the trial opened, four of the boys have since confessed to having had intercourse with the girl at the time, but have denied committing any crime. The boy who allegedly provided the condoms has denied everything.

"According to the court, their explanations as to why they've changed their story are not sustainable, but suggest that they're trying to hide something," the court wrote, according to the TT news agency.

Five of the boys have been sentenced to over 100 hours of community service each, and have been ordered to pay 55,000 kronor ($8,500) each in damages to the victim.

The punishment was less severe than it could have been as the boys are minors, and the court also concluded that they had already been punished to some extent by having their pictures and their personal details exposed on the internet.

The case was the third suspected gang rape to take place in the Stockholm area earlier this year. In January, three men, two of whom were teenagers, were ordered held on remand on suspicion of raping a woman in central Stockholm in December.

Also that month, a woman reported being attacked and raped by five men in Sundbyberg, just west of Stockholm.
Old 06-19-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Six teens convicted of Stockholm gang rape will not have to spend any time in pri

Wow, those native Swedes certainly seem to commit a lot of rapes. I mean it is native Swedes, right? Because curiously the article doesn't go into detail about the cultural background of the rapists. And wow, as Sweden is the rape capital of Europe...maybe it would benefit women to examine the actual cultural background of the rapists, and deal with reality? No, that would make folks uncomfortable.....CELEBRATE DIVERSITY!!
Old 06-19-13, 09:37 PM

Re: Six teens convicted of Stockholm gang rape will not have to spend any time in pri

What exactly are you alleging Ky-Fi? Can you back it up with facts?
Old 06-19-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The mainstream media in Europe is largely like the old Pravda in the Soviet Union. You have to read between the lines, because they're not really there to report the news, their job is to reinforce the ideology of multiculturalism. They can't talk about the Muslim rapes throughout Scandinavia, because it's politically incorrect.

For this case:

http://www.exponerat.info/tva-av-de-...uppvaldtakten/

In general:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=920_1363387833
Old 06-19-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To be fair, Swedish women are really attractive. And let's be honest, she was probably leading them on.
Old 06-19-13, 10:51 PM
Admin-Thanos

So is this the Stockholm Syndrome, or something else?
Old 06-19-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...emy-rape-case/

Three members of the US Naval Academy were charged with raping a fellow cadet today. The article makes no mention of their race or religion.

Reading between the lines, one can conclude that the rapists were Muslims.
Old 06-20-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

While we should not rush to judgement, the suspects names are:

Mehmet Acaralp
Allaeddin Ben Othman
Yassin Mohamed
Ben Lotfi Mbarki
Adam Aden Jibril
Ibrahim Hussein Bashir

So I think something was indeed left out of grundle's article.
Old 06-20-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So which one has to marry her? The first or the last?
Old 06-20-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well if you don't wanna get raped don't wear that bitch!

Last edited by Larry C.; 06-21-13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
That's some fine journalism:

ALL rapes in Oslo, Norway are by Muslim Asylum Seekers
Catchy title, but I read that and I go huh? No way that can be true, so...

The report shows that, of 131 individuals charged with the 152 rapes in which the perpetrator could be identified, 45.8% were of African, Middle Eastern or Asian origin while 38.2 were Norweigan citizens (foreign and national), 2.3% American, and 13.7% other European (foreign and national Europeans).
Well, I don't think we're even remotely close to "ALL" here...

The claim of 100% sexual assault rate is based exclusively on the figures for “assault rape”, i.e. rape aggravated by physical violence, a category that included 6 of the 152 cases and 5 of the 131 identified individuals. All of those 5 individuals were indeed of African, Middle Eastern or Asian origin. The police report adds that in other cases of assault rape, where the individual responsible was not identified and the police relied on the description provided by the victim, “8 of the perpetrators were African / dark-skinned appearance, 5 were Western / light / Nordic and 4 had an Asian appearance”.
Seriously?

I mean is there a rule that in a grundle thread, we need to follow grundle's journalistic standards?
Old 06-20-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.....that's all explained in the article. Muslims are 1.5% of the population and account for about 50% of the rapes. I don't think that's in dispute.

And similarly, the child sex grooming gangs in the UK are overwhelmingly Muslim. The UK press usually refers to them as "Asian", but in reality there are virtually no Indian Hindus, or Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Filipinos involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22617339

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 06-20-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe this is how their culture has sex. We shouldn't rush to judge.
Old 06-20-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least they're using condoms before raping. How many rapists in the United States can say the same?
Old 06-20-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pics or she doesn't exist.
Old 06-21-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ky-Fi, I'm curious--since statistics seem to support your theory, what do you think is different about cultural integration in Europe versus cultural integration in the United States? Why aren't we seeing these sorts of things? (Leaving terrorism aside.)
Old 06-21-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Ky-Fi, I'm curious--since statistics seem to support your theory, what do you think is different about cultural integration in Europe versus cultural integration in the United States? Why aren't we seeing these sorts of things? (Leaving terrorism aside.)
That's a complicated question. My personal take is that Islam itself inculcates the belief in the inferiority of both women and non-Muslims, and it does this to a degree not found in any other religion. In Muslim countries, these values are pretty much codified in the legal and social customs. When Muslims immigrate to Western countries, and those beliefs are not honored in either the legal or social customs, it becomes a problem for many of them. The idea that women's personal and sexual freedom are a part of their human dignity is alien to them---and women (especially infidels) with sexual freedom are seen as whores who are not worthy of respect. It should be noted that most of these sexual abuse/assault cased by Muslims in Europe are generally NOT perpetrated against those who they perceive to be honorable, obedient Muslim women.

As far as why it's more prevalent in Europe, I would say it's some degree of nanny-statism and leftist control of the media----certainly the ability to speak out against Islam is greatly curtailed there. Geert Wilders was a standing member of the Dutch government when he was brought up on criminal charges for saying Islam was a bad religion. Magazine publisher Lars Hedegaard was brought up on criminal charges in Denmark for similarly "insulting Islam". They were both acquitted, but still--it's not an environment where this issue can be discussed freely. Pretty much anyone who links these rapes to Islamic cultural values is immediately going to be defamed as a dangerous far-right extremist by the media and government.

Also, to some degree I would say it's just a case of numbers---the Muslim population in some of these countries is much higher than that of the US--and in Europe they're often much more concentrated and segregated into parallel societies.

And I would also say that Islam is not monolithic--a Westernized, educated Turk and an uneducated rural Pakistani---even though they might both subscribe to basic Islamic notions about the nature of women---are probably going to have vastly different ideas about the acceptable ways to express their beliefs, or how they should be put into practice. So I would say the origin and background of the specific immigrants probably plays some role.
Old 06-21-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Maybe we are but Muslims can't compete with natural born American citizens. Ky-Fi's not considering the possibility that Muslim's reflect the global norm and it's the native born Swedes who are exceptional.
Old 06-21-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Maybe we are but Muslims can't compete with natural born American citizens. Ky-Fi's not considering the possibility that Muslim's reflect the global norm and it's the native born Swedes who are exceptional.
That should be fairly easy to determine if you look at rape statistics across nations from, say, 1970.
Old 06-21-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
That's an interesting theory, and I don't rule it out. However, if Swedish culture had indeed developed to a point where their men had some of the lowest incidences of rape in the world---and most of us can agree that rape is a bad thing---might it not make sense for Sweden to have an immigration policy that would restrict people from cultures who are much more prone to devaluing women?

Or are we going to go along with the attitude that most of the media and governing elites in Europe have: "Well, the increase in rapes is regrettable, but it's the price we have to pay for the glory of multiculturalism."?
Old 06-21-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
That's a complicated question. My personal take is that Islam itself inculcates the belief in the inferiority of both women and non-Muslims, and it does this to a degree not found in any other religion. In Muslim countries, these values are pretty much codified in the legal and social customs. When Muslims immigrate to Western countries, and those beliefs are not honored in either the legal or social customs, it becomes a problem for many of them. The idea that women's personal and sexual freedom are a part of their human dignity is alien to them---and women (especially infidels) with sexual freedom are seen as whores who are not worthy of respect. It should be noted that most of these sexual abuse/assault cased by Muslims in Europe are generally NOT perpetrated against those who they perceive to be honorable, obedient Muslim women.
Seems reasonable to me. We certainly know how women are treated in many Muslim countries.

As far as why it's more prevalent in Europe, I would say it's some degree of nanny-statism and leftist control of the media----certainly the ability to speak out against Islam is greatly curtailed there. Geert Wilders was a standing member of the Dutch government when he was brought up on criminal charges for saying Islam was a bad religion. Magazine publisher Lars Hedegaard was brought up on criminal charges in Denmark for similarly "insulting Islam". They were both acquitted, but still--it's not an environment where this issue can be discussed freely. Pretty much anyone who links these rapes to Islamic cultural values is immediately going to be defamed as a dangerous far-right extremist by the media and government.
Here's where I think you're wrong--if that was truly the reason, then we would have seen some of these sorts of things in the U.S., but people would have spoken out against them. That that hasn't happened suggests that something else is going on.

Also, to some degree I would say it's just a case of numbers---the Muslim population in some of these countries is much higher than that of the US--and in Europe they're often much more concentrated and segregated into parallel societies.
Perhaps, but not in Sweden. I took these numbers from Wikipedia so take them with a grain of salt, but:

Muslims, U.S.--0.8% of the population
Muslims, Sweden--1% of the population

That's not a big difference.
Old 06-21-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those are good points.
Old 06-21-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can think of two reason why a Muslim would move from the Middle East to a Western country.

a) They're already accepting of Western culture and want to be a part of it and (possibly) escape from too much fundamentalism.
b) They are not accepting of Western culture and want to spread their own fundamentalism from the inside.

My hunch is that someone in camp A is more likely to move to the United States. Camp B is more likely to move to Europe. What are the birth rates of Muslims in the US vs Muslims in Europe? If Muslims in the US are having kids at a rate equal to the rest of the population, I'd assume they're looking to assimilate. If Muslims in Europe are having kids at a rate much higher than the rest of the population (and much higher than the rate of Muslims in their home countries), I'd assume they're looking to make their new country "more Muslim."

Also, this kinda holds true for anybody moving from one culture to another. If an European moves to South America, they either accept South Americans or they don't. If they don't, and they're moving there anyway, it's probably not for good reasons (either exploiting native populations, espionage, working as an 'economic hit-man,' escaping from war crimes, etc.)

Last edited by RoyalTea; 06-21-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I can think of two reason why a Muslim would move from the Middle East to a Western country.

a) They're already accepting of Western culture and want to be a part of it and (possibly) escape from too much fundamentalism.
b) They are not accepting of Western culture and want to spread their own fundamentalism from the inside.

My hunch is that someone in camp A is more likely to move to the United States. Camp B is more likely to move to Europe. What are the birth rates of Muslims in the US vs Muslims in Europe? If Muslims in the US are having kids at a rate equal to the rest of the population, I'd assume they're looking to assimilate. If Muslims in Europe are having kids at a rate much higher than the rest of the population (and much higher than the rate of Muslims in their home countries), I'd assume they're looking to make their new country "more Muslim."
I think your point is good, but I would describe the (b) type a little bit differently. I don't think they're exactly consciously trying to spread fundamentalism. It's just that they believe in their own culture, and not Western culture. It was generally easy for them to come to Europe, they were often given great benefits, their life was a lot better in Europe than it was in their home countries----and no one ever told them that they had to change their culture. The conflict and problems are not really the fault of the Muslims---they're just following Islam and their own cultures. They didn't invade by force, they were invited. But it might be more accurate to call them settlers instead of immigrants.
Old 06-21-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Furthermore, I know that culturally, muslims "keep within themselves" throughout Europe far more than they do in the US. In the US, they tend to integrate and blend in a little more within their communities than they do in Europe.

Part of that can be put upon the native population and how they can be less accepting of outsiders, but RoyalTea's point is also part of it as well.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.