Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

What do Whitney Houston, Lindsay Lohan and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Have in Common?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What do Whitney Houston, Lindsay Lohan and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Have in Common?

Old 05-17-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As always Canada is just like the United States was twenty years ago:

Rob Ford, Toronto's conservative mayor, is a wild lunatic given to making bizarre racist pronouncements and randomly slapping refrigerator magnets on cars. One reason for this is that he smokes crack cocaine. I know this because I watched him do it, on a videotape. He was fucking hiiiiigh. It's for sale if you've got six figures.

It began like this: We've made fun of Ford before for his bizarre pronouncements and nude pictures. Last week, we got a tip from someone claiming to have a videotape of Ford smoking crack. Would we like to buy it?

The tipster made the following claims:

• Toronto Mayor Rob Ford smokes crack cocaine.

• There is a video of Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine, taken within the last six months.

• Rob Ford purchases his crack cocaine from a crew of Toronto drug dealers that service a veritable who's who of A-list...Torontonians? Torontites? Anyway, a lot of prominent people in Toronto purchase and enjoy crack and powder cocaine, and they all buy it from the same folks. The same folks Ford buys it from. Ford's longtime friend, people on his staff, his brother, a prominent hockey analyst, and more.

As evidence of his claims, our tipster provided the photo above. It shows Ford hanging out with a number of people. The gentleman standing to his right, flipping the camera the bird, is Anthony Smith. Smith, a 21-year-old college student, was killed two months ago outside a Toronto nightclub in a gangland-style shooting. A photo, from a CBC story on his murder, is at left. Smith was, according to our tipster, a kid from the same neighborhood as the dealers who service Ford, and the photo was taken while Ford was going to the neighborhood to purchase and smoke crack cocaine.

If you're curious about the photo's veracity, at left is another photo, from the National Post, of Ford wearing the same sweatshirt.

Needless to say, the story intrigued me. I asked the tipster for a screengrab of the video to verify that he had what he claimed to have. He refused. If I wanted to see the video, I was going to have to go to Toronto. He sounded confident enough. Certain things that he told me checked out. So off I went.

Toronto is lovely. Our first effort to meet up, at a Toronto bus station at night, fizzled. The tipster was there, but the person who actually had possession of the video was a no-show. The tipster and I retired to a coffee shop to talk Toronto politics and Rob Ford's curious history—his rise as a sort of oddly drunken, brazenly honest conservative voice in a decidedly liberal and polite city. It was a nice night, but I was beginning to worry I'd been had.

The next morning, I connected again with the tipster. He was going to locate the owner of the video, he told me. Last night, there had been a mix-up. The video was being stored in a safe place, but the person who had access to the safe place had briefly disappeared, and so the owner couldn't get access to the safe place to get the device on which the video was stored. By the morning, however, the tipster and the owner had located the person who had access to the safe place. This was going to happen.

Checkout time was at noon. My flight was at 7:30 p.m. I loitered around downtown Toronto, checking out the mall, until I got the text: We were to meet up at a chain restaurant near the airport. The tipster picked me up from the restaurant and drove me to a housing development. The owner of the video would meet us there.

We sit idling in his car, making small talk. The tipster calls the owner and talks in language other than English. "He'll be right down," he says. Fifteen minutes pass. "Waiting for the elevator," he says. Ten minutes pass. A young gentleman opens the rear door of the car and gets in. The two men speak in a language other than English. The young gentleman immediately exits the vehicle. No video.

The tipster looks at me: "The battery is dead." The young gentleman—the owner of the video—needed to go back upstairs to charge the battery on the device that contained the video. We wait. More small talk.

The owner of the video returns. He thrusts a device, a phone with a touchscreen, in my face. "Can I hold it?" I ask.

"No."

I crane my neck. It plays.

Here is what the video shows: Rob Ford, the mayor of Toronto, is the only person visible in the frame. Prior to the trip, I spent a lot of time looking at photographs of Rob Ford. The man in the video is Rob Ford. It is well-lit, clear. Ford is seated, in a room in a house. In one hand is a a clear, glass pipe. The kind with a big globe and two glass cylinders sticking out of it. In the other hand is a lighter. A slurred voice off-camera is ranting about Canadian politics in what sounds like an attempt to goad Ford. "Pierre Trudeau was a faggot!" is the one phrase the lodges in my mind. Ford, pipe in one hand and lighter in the other, is laughing, and mildly protesting at the sacrilege. He seems to keep trying to light the pipe, but keeps stopping to laugh. He is red-faced and sweaty, heaving with each breath. Finally, he finds his moment and lights up. He inhales.

Update: The Toronto Star, whose reporters have also seen the video, say that it's Justin Trudeau—Pierre's son and the leader of the Liberal Party in Canada—and not Pierre getting called a "faggot." It's hard to keep all these Canadians apart. The Star also has Ford himself, and not the voice off-screen, making the "faggot" remark, though that's not how I remember it.

In one move, the owner stops the video and draws the device back into his pocket.

"You took this?" I ask.

"Yes."

"When?"

"Within the last six months."

"You're sure it's crack?"

"Yes."

"You've seen him smoke crack before?"

"Yes. Gotta jet."

And he is gone.

So: That was a video of the mayor of Toronto smoking crack. The trouble is, the owner wants money. More money than I am willing to pay. The tipster has already reached out to one other news outlet, a Canadian organization that he refused to name, which offered $40,000. The owner rejected that. He thinks he can get six figures. It's unlikely he's going to get six figures.

But I am going to try. The tipster wants this video out. Rob Ford needs to be held to account. The owner just wants money—preferably enough to get out of town after this blows up, since he doesn't think it will be safe for him. The tipster and I both fear that the owner will try to sell the video back to Ford. That would be a shame.

So if Gawker can't come up with enough money to ring this owner's bell, perhaps we can find a partner. This isn't just the mayor of Toronto smoking crack cocaine, after all: This is Toronto Confidential. There are a host of important local officials wrapped up in this drug ring. 60 Minutes? No. Dateline NBC? No. Inside Edition? No. National Enquirer? No. CNN? Maybe!

Well, no. But when I emailed an acquaintance at CNN this afternoon, laying out much the same information I've offered above and asking for discretion and confidentiality lest we screw up a pretty fucking great story about the mayor of the fifth-largest city in North America smoking crack cocaine on camera, he forwarded the email to his producer. The producer, in turn, asked CNN's Canada reporter about it. The Canada reporter—and this was a pretty fucking big mistake—called a source who used to work in Ford's office. Within 40 minutes, word had gotten back to me that "CNN called Ford's office asking about a crack tape."

And so here we are. The owner still hasn't found a buyer with pockets deep enough to meet his demands. But word is out around Toronto now that the tape exist, and Ford's circle knows about it courtesy a CNN reporter. So, with permission, I am laying out everything I know about the Rob Ford Crack Tape in the hopes that a) everyone knows that Rob Ford, the mayor of Toronto, smokes crack, and b) this knowledge might hasten the arrival of the Rob Ford Crack Tape on the internet or broadcast television, because really, it is something to behold.

If you want to buy it, let me know. I can put you in touch with a guy.

Ford's office did not immediately respond to an email.
Old 05-17-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What do Whitney Houston, Lindsay Lohan and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Have in Common?

Who are three people that have never been in my kitchen?
Old 05-17-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What do Whitney Houston, Lindsay Lohan and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Have in Common?

Old 05-17-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Their talent at whatever they do (or did) for a living is highly overrated.
Old 05-17-13, 11:54 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Hey now, Whitney has been clean for over a year now.
Old 05-17-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obligatory:

Old 05-17-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
Obligatory:

Yeah, no way that guy's a crackhead.
Old 05-17-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They're all dead?
Old 05-17-13, 04:41 PM
Banned

big globe pipe = meth
crack pipes are just a stem
Old 05-17-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
Obligatory:

That's great, can't forget about the time he walked into the camera too

Old 05-21-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't laugh at me. I didn't vote for the Neanderthal. He should return to being a city councillor, where he responded in person, and with reputed diligence, to constituents' pothole complaints and the like. That's the level of governance he can grasp and handle.
As mayor of a city with explosive growth, desperate transit and infrastructure needs, and not enough revenue to begin to cover those needs, his obstinate "no taxes" mantra is beyond foolish. Someone with an intellect and vision is required, not this dullard who can't make a progressive decision to save his life, or string together a coherent impromptu sentence. He is truly far out of his depth and a humiliating representative of this city.
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
As always Canada is just like the United States was twenty years ago:
If serious, this sort of antiquated Ugly American jingoism is unbecoming and uninformed.
Old 11-05-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, I'm sure everyone has heard the latest in this ongoing fiasco.
Old 11-05-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
So, I'm sure everyone has heard the latest in this ongoing fiasco.
Yep. Pretty outrageous behavior. You're hired to do a job, you show up on time. I hope Foxwoods sues the pants off her.
Old 11-06-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's a better excuse for a mayor to smoke crack?

"The bitch set me up!"

or

"I only smoke crack when I'm blackout drunk!"
Old 11-07-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As he resists calls to quit following his admission this week that he had smoked crack cocaine, Toronto media released a clip of the mayor in a rage.

Mr Ford is shown gesticulating during a foul-mouthed rant in which he threatens to kill an unknown person.

He apologised for the video, saying he was "extremely, extremely inebriated".
Old 11-07-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, Toronto voted in as mayor a drunk with anger issues. Cool.
Old 11-08-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...f-instability/

Great writing, this.

TORONTO – A powerful Canadian official has become entrenched in scandal after admitting to using crack cocaine, a taboo in this socially conservative society. In a country where dissent is limited by traditional mores, the transgression has sparked rare public outrage and raised concerns about the stability of the Canadian regime.

The official, Rob Ford, reigns over the restive border town of Toronto, a multi-ethnic hotbed known for its bustling markets and history of violent conflict.
Old 11-08-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In answer to the thread title: they are all D-cups?
Old 11-11-13, 05:13 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Who are three people that have never been in my kitchen?

Old 11-11-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dbJABjVH-0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-15-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, for some reason I didn't post this jaw-dropping video yesterday. Most of you have probably seen it already.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hMIQWRsYxak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mind-bogglingly, this shameless assclown still refuses to resign. City council unfortunately has no legal authority to compel him to leave outright, but today councillors overwhelmingly passed motions to relieve him of mayoral powers and confer them on the deputy mayor. Essentially Ford is now mayor in name only. On Monday council will, almost without doubt, pass another motion to reduce his staff from 19 to 3, the same as a regular councillor. Ford says he will take legal action to try to reverse these decisions. This scum is utterly without awareness (self or otherwise), decency, intelligence, or any other virtue.
Old 11-15-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lindsey has plenty to eat at home too?
Old 11-15-13, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
OK, for some reason I didn't post this jaw-dropping video yesterday. Most of you have probably seen it already.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hMIQWRsYxak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mind-bogglingly, this shameless assclown still refuses to resign. City council unfortunately has no legal authority to compel him to leave outright, but today councillors overwhelmingly passed motions to relieve him of mayoral powers and confer them on the deputy mayor. Essentially Ford is now mayor in name only. On Monday council will, almost without doubt, pass another motion to reduce his staff from 19 to 3, the same as a regular councillor. Ford says he will take legal action to try to reverse these decisions. This scum is utterly without awareness (self or otherwise), decency, intelligence, or any other virtue.
Could he win an election still?

More importantly, are you going to watch his show on Monday?
Old 11-15-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Could he win an election still?

More importantly, are you going to watch his show on Monday?
He could potentially still win next October if his public image makes a miraculous recovery. It's highly unlikely, but there are still enough morons around who believe his empty slogans, think he's fantastic, and are willing to overlook his outrages.

No, I will not watch his show, if you mean his and his brother's new show on SunTV (Canada's answer to Fox News, and watched by maybe a few dozen people across the country). The two had a radio show until it was recently cancelled. It was basically an echo chamber, as I'm sure will be their TV show, since calls are pre-screened to favour friendly voices.
Old 11-16-13, 08:02 PM
Banned

They're all worthless ? Is that what they have in common ?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.