Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Old 05-16-13, 01:45 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Dinesh D'Souza: "Who Is Obama?"

Please watch this entire video before you make a comment. I don't want this to become a flame war thread. Thanks.

Political commentator Dinesh D'Souza tackles many different subjects in this lecture, among them the history of Obama's family, their ideals, and the contrasting nature of freedom as envisioned by the Founding Fathers. Other topics include multiculturalism, political-religious bias, and the historical revision of the United States.

I really like most of what I've heard Mr. DeSouza say so far; let's hear your (informed!) views...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_3dGCT4FJ4c?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by moviefan2k4; 05-16-13 at 04:33 PM. Reason: thread title change
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 03:29 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E. Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A sweaty sauna somewhere in Japan
Posts: 1,717
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "Who Is Obama?"

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Please watch this entire video before you make a comment. I don't want this to become a flame war thread. Thanks.
Let me guess, Josh, you are a avid supporter of Ron Paul, and you have read "The 5,000 Year Leap" at least a dozen times?
E. Honda is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 04:44 AM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "Who Is Obama?"

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Let me guess, Josh, you are a avid supporter of Ron Paul, and you have read "The 5,000 Year Leap" at least a dozen times?
I don't know enough about Ron Paul to make an informed decision, and I've never heard of the book you've mentioned. I just think Dinesh raises a lot of interesting questions in his lectures.

This topic should probably be called "Dinesh D'Souza - Who Is Obama?", since that's the main topic of that video. If a mod wants to change it, go ahead.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 05:08 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,274
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

I don't know much about D'Souza. Judging from the length of the video and the fact that you didn't post a summary of the key points, I'm guessing he's one of those guys charismatic enough to sound like they're making sense when they're speaking, but who sound batshit crazy when you just pull their key points. I would've watched the first couple minutes to judge for myself, but it loaded, played about two seconds and then said the video was currently unavailable.
maxfisher is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 05:44 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

He's been divorced. He obviously doesn't believe in the sanctity of marriage, thus he has no credibility on any subject.

Sorry.
JumpCutz is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 07:34 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,901
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I don't know much about D'Souza. Judging from the length of the video and the fact that you didn't post a summary of the key points, I'm guessing he's one of those guys charismatic enough to sound like they're making sense when they're speaking, but who sound batshit crazy when you just pull their key points. I would've watched the first couple minutes to judge for myself, but it loaded, played about two seconds and then said the video was currently unavailable.
He's another replacable right wing dickhead in the mold of Pat Buchanan, Michelle Malkin, and Ann Coulter.

His views on Obama are best summed up below:

Spoiler:
Jason is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 09:09 AM
  #7  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

I'm no fan of Obama but D'Souza is a hack.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 09:15 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,581
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

I believe this is against forum rules. You can't just drop a video in here and leave without comment. You need to start a discussion. Also, just because you are OP doesn't make you "owner" of a thread, you can't make demands of posters like "You must watch this 80 minute video before commenting."

If you're truly interested in a conversation, instead of bombarding us with propaganda, why not summarize what is said in the video, and give your opinions on it. Perhaps others will be convinced to watch it.
Groucho is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 09:24 AM
  #9  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Before moviefan can read my well considered response, he has to watch "Gozu" by Takashi Miike. It's the only way to properly get context for my comments.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 09:29 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 9,142
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

DAMN!!!

I only made it up to the 77 minute mark...just one minute more and I could have commented on the video.
Jaymole is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 09:55 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

He looks like Mr. Bean
kvrdave is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 10:12 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Also, just because you are OP doesn't make you "owner" of a thread, you can't make demands of posters like "You must watch this 80 minute video before commenting."
Well, you can if you say it in red bold. Or better yet:

Spoiler:



why not summarize what is said in the video
"Barack Obama is black."

and give your opinions on it.
I agree.
dork is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 10:16 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,502
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "Who Is Obama?"

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Please watch this entire video before you make a comment. I don't want this to become a flame war thread. Thanks.

I really like most of what I've heard Mr. DeSouza say so far; let's hear your (informed!) views...
Hey- The OP said you have to watch the entire thing before you make a comment. Your "so far" reviews are meaningles and have started a flame war.
pjflyer is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 10:19 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 38,812
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

DeDeSouza's an idiot, always has been.

And whatever you may think of Obama, he's hardly full of "rage".
slop101 is online now  
Old 05-16-13, 10:21 AM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,581
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And whatever you may think of Obama, he's hardly full of "rage".
"If I were him, Id be mad all the time. But Im not him. Im Daniel Day-Lewis." -- Daniel Day-Lewis
Groucho is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 10:26 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Rahm Emanuel is full of rage, I think we can all agree.
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 10:57 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,346
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Before moviefan can read my well considered response, he has to watch "Gozu" by Takashi Miike.
inri222 is online now  
Old 05-16-13, 11:00 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,212
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
He's been divorced. He obviously doesn't believe in the sanctity of marriage, thus he has no credibility on any subject.

Sorry.
Not only is he divorced he's divorced, because he was caught on vacation with his mistress.
Why So Blu? is online now  
Old 05-16-13, 11:01 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,162
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

I don’t need to see another DeSouza video to have an informed opinion of him; he is a hack that doesn’t have any problems ignoring facts when they contradict his statements.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 11:05 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,212
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

You can also watch Bill Maher cut D'Souza in half:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/09i2YvLPZuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Why So Blu? is online now  
Old 05-16-13, 11:29 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,921
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

D'Souza:

"...What can we conclude from this book? First, that the values of the cultural left are an important source in alienating Muslims worldwide. Second, that Muslims don't reject modernity or the West: rather, they embrace what may be termed "1950s America" while rejecting the libertine values of the 1960s. Third, America can build alliances with traditional Muslims by showing them the face of traditional America, so that they see that Hollywood values aren't necessarily American values. Finally, left-wing groups like International Planned Parenthood and Amnesty International should stop pushing feminism, gay marriage and libertine values in the Muslim world."



D'Souza.

The problem is largely the opposite: that left-wing groups ARE not pushing their values in the Muslim world because the Holy Church of Multiculturalism fordbids it---because to do so would be "racist, Islamophobic and intolerant."
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 12:27 PM
  #22  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,941
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Where do these weirdos come from? We never heard of them before, and now they are here all the time. Who is this guy?




I mean D'Souza.
Psi is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 03:50 PM
  #23  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
D'Souza:

"...What can we conclude from this book? First, that the values of the cultural left are an important source in alienating Muslims worldwide. Second, that Muslims don't reject modernity or the West: rather, they embrace what may be termed "1950s America" while rejecting the libertine values of the 1960s. Third, America can build alliances with traditional Muslims by showing them the face of traditional America, so that they see that Hollywood values aren't necessarily American values. Finally, left-wing groups like International Planned Parenthood and Amnesty International should stop pushing feminism, gay marriage and libertine values in the Muslim world."



D'Souza.

The problem is largely the opposite: that left-wing groups ARE not pushing their values in the Muslim world because the Holy Church of Multiculturalism fordbids it---because to do so would be "racist, Islamophobic and intolerant."
It's like a game of chicken being played by two blind men.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 04:35 PM
  #24  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I believe this is against forum rules. You can't just drop a video in here and leave without comment. You need to start a discussion. Also, just because you are OP doesn't make you "owner" of a thread, you can't make demands of posters like "You must watch this 80 minute video before commenting."

If you're truly interested in a conversation, instead of bombarding us with propaganda, why not summarize what is said in the video, and give your opinions on it. Perhaps others will be convinced to watch it.
I start these kinds of threads so people can see the original speakers for themselves. If I had to summarize it, I'd miss a lot, and could end up giving a false impression.

I did add a brief description to the first post, though.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 05-16-13, 08:29 PM
  #25  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

This is from the sticky post at the top of the forum that says "READ BEFORE POSTING" in all caps:

While they are not hard rules the following recommendations are also made to help foster a more cooperative environment:

- The use of links is strongly encouraged. When quoting outside resources please provide a link to the material if at all possible. This is especially important if you are quoting just a section of the original text so that quote can be put back into the context that it was originally in.

- Similarly though just posting an article and link, particularly as the first post in a thread, w/o any additional commentary to continue the dialog is discouraged. If it's good enough to post it's worth commenting on as well.

So while it's not a hard rule, doing a hit and run is discouraged. If you can't summarize the video, at least give some commentary.
Supermallet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.