Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

Old 05-17-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "Who Is Obama?"

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post

I really like most of what I've heard Mr. DeSouza say so far; let's hear your (informed!) views...
I was looking forward to this video because I've been looking for a good speech by D'Souza that wasn't just arguing against Atheism, as much as I enjoyed those debates he had with Christopher Hitchens. I was disappointed to see that it was just him stumping for Romney by demonizing Obama by repeating his OBAMA:2016 film claims.

The Good

I agree with Dinesh that Obama is probably an atheist who joined a black Church in order to help him with his political aspirations. It seems like you need to be a person of faith, particularly a Christian in order to get somewhere as a member of Congress or be Presidential candidate material.

The Bad

-Dinesh wonders why Obama supported the rebels in Libya but not the protesters in Iran? This can only mean, according to Dinesh, that Obama wants to ouster American allies, and help install radical Muslim, anti-American governments.
The truth is probably a more complex and has many different factors at play. 1) Supporting dictators who don't have the support of their people, only because they're our allies or are the enemy of our enemy doesn't always work out for the best, morally or practically. See Reagan Administration and Saddam Hussein.
2) This is a question, since I'm not that sure. Wasn't the uprising in Libya much different than the protests in Iran? Hadn't 4 cities already fallen to the control of the rebels in Libya before NATO got involved? I'm going by wikipedia so it might not be accurate. If true, was there anything like that going on Iran?
3) We already have a bad history with Iran, like the CIA helping overthrow Massadeq in 1953. I don't know anything about the guy, but considering we helped overthrow their prime minister, and put the Shah in power, Obama probably didn't want to announce his plans or opinions on it, and appear like the US was still meddling in that country's politics.
4) I believe there was other support by France and the United Arab Emirates in supporting the rebels so there's that too. Was there anything like that in regards to the 2009 protests in Iran?

There's more I have to say but that's all I have time for for now.
Old 05-17-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Based on what? That seems as nutty as the Muslim stuff.
Basically Obama's own words when it came to describing religion and his upbringing. The clinging to religion comment, his own description of his upbringing and his mother's thoughts on organized religion, and promotion of secular ideals.

In 2008, when trying to secure the Democratic nomination and later, trying to get elected President he said that he believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, and as a Christian he believes this as well. Then when he's already president, and polls show that a slight majority of American's support gay marriage he comes out and says he supports it, citing an evolution of his conviction.

I can't believe, a guy as educated as Obama, and such a staunch supporter of civil rights, would cite one particular religion, in order to deny a particular group equal rights.
Old 05-17-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dinesh D'Souza: "The Roots of Obama's Rage"

I actually thought more the dude is agnostic but because his wife is religious he just went along with it like a lot of people do. Going to the specific church years after he got married maybe was for political networking.
Old 05-17-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
I actually thought more the dude is agnostic but because his wife is religious he just went along with it like a lot of people do. Going to the specific church years after he got married maybe was for political networking.
Actually, yeah, I should have said agnostic, which is more likely. Also, I wouldn't go out of my way to try and prove he wasn't a sincere Christian Protestant since there's no way to actually prove it. But I was trying to find SOMETHING that I agreed with D'Souza on.
Old 05-17-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dinesh that Obama is probably an atheist who joined a black Church in order to help him with his political aspirations. It seems like you need to be a person of faith, particularly a Christian in order to get somewhere as a member of Congress or be Presidential candidate material.
I would be thrilled if this were the case.
Old 05-17-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
In 2008, when trying to secure the Democratic nomination and later, trying to get elected President he said that he believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, and as a Christian he believes this as well. Then when he's already president, and polls show that a slight majority of American's support gay marriage he comes out and says he supports it, citing an evolution of his conviction.
Obama, 1996: "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages,and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."
Obama, 2008: "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage."
Obama, 2012: "I've been going through an evolution on this issue."

Running for state office, he's for gay marriage. Running for national office, he's against it. And after he was satisfied with Joe Biden's trial balloon, he gets to claim that he was just evolving on this issue.
Old 05-17-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I would be thrilled if this were the case.
You would be thrilled that a candidate would lie about his religious beliefs in order to get elected?
Old 05-17-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
You would be thrilled that a candidate would lie about his religious beliefs in order to get elected?
Depends on the letter next to his name.
Old 05-17-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Us atheists are used to it.
Old 05-17-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, because most ALL atheist elected officials do. I'd be thrilled if Obama was an atheist.
Old 05-17-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Depends on the letter next to his name.
Oh bullshit. Atheists need to hide their non-belief due to morons in the electorate regardless of party. Now Repubs have many, mnay other issues to worry about.
Old 05-17-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh bullshit. Atheists need to hide their non-belief due to morons in the electorate regardless of party. Now Repubs have many, mnay other issues to worry about.
Hypothetical: Michelle Bachmann announces she's an atheist and only pretended to be a bible-thumper because she thought it was the easiest way to get elected.

You're going to give her a golf clap when she makes that announcement? Bullshit.
Old 05-17-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I would definitely feel she was a better person but she'd theoretically have the same insane views. Why wouldn't I applaud anyone that becomes enlightened?
Old 05-17-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
The Good

That is some strong cynical shit right there.

No one lies about their religious conviction, or lack therefore of.
And I'm inclined to believe him at his word about being a Christian due to a lot of biblical references he's made, not just appropriately, but theologically sound stuff. Based on things they've said, I'd say Obama understands Christianity far more than G.W.Bush, who no one doubt is a Christian.
Old 05-17-13, 02:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, because most ALL atheist elected officials do. I'd be thrilled if Obama was an atheist.
I wouldn't. Atheists deserve better than Barack Obama as their poster child.
Old 05-17-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Atheists deserve better than Barack Obama as their poster child.
Exactly. Stalin is good enough.
Old 05-17-13, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Thank you!
Old 05-17-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

The big mystery is how he got this blonde to be his former wife.

Old 05-17-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, I would definitely feel she was a better person but she'd theoretically have the same insane views. Why wouldn't I applaud anyone that becomes enlightened?
I dislike Bachmann but I have to agree here.
Old 05-17-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that does make sense. I've engaged the atheists on this forum in debate many,many times, and if I've understood their position correctly--which I'm certain I have--it's that not only do atheists generally lack morals, but they actually formally teach their adherents that lying is fun and admirable.
Old 05-17-13, 06:35 PM
Banned by request

What the fuck are you talking about?
Old 05-17-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Yeah, I don't know what Ky-Fi is talking about.
Old 05-17-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed. See, the two points that seem to rile up the atheists here are the claims (which by the way I don't make) that:

A. atheists have no morality without God, and

B. atheism is a formal belief system like a religion.

Hence, it would theoretically be humorous if the ONLY thing that I took from those debates is that atheists have no morals, and that furthermore they formally teach that as part of their codified belief system.

It was funny, dammit!

Old 05-17-13, 07:28 PM
Banned by request

A joke... is a story with a humorous climax.
Old 05-17-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

This topic seems a few years too late honestly...Obama's past, true self, etc is irrelevant now that we're stuck with him. Why would I want to spend another minute thinking about it? I regret that D'Souza chose to spend his last 4+ yrs focusing on it...I enjoyed his religious focused work, but the last thing I want is another political commentator. Time to reinvent yourself Dinesh.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.