Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Should 3-d printable guns be made illegal?
yes
35.71%
no
64.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

The first fully functional 3-D printable Gun

Old 05-07-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first fully functional 3-D printable Gun

Schumer: U.S. needs to block 3D plastic guns like ‘The Liberator’ from Defense Distributed

The future just got a lot scarier.
A Texas company is set to release blueprints for making a plastic gun with a 3-D printer — a development Sen. Chuck Schumer called “stomach-churning” Sunday.
Defense Distributed, a collective of gun access advocates headed by self-described “free-market anarchist” Cody Wilson, has announced it made such an untraceable gun with the new plastic-making technology. The nonprofit Texas group intends to post blueprints for “The Liberator” (pictured) online this week.
The Liberator may look like a toy, but “this gun can fire regular bullets,” Schumer said, calling for legislation outlawing the technology’s weapons potential.
The bill was drafted by Rep. Steve Israel (D-L.I.).

“Security checkpoints, background checks and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print their own plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser,” Israel said in a statement.
To Schumer, the ramifications of make-your-own untraceable and undetectable weapons are “stomach-churning.”
“Now anyone, a terrorist, someone who is mentally ill, a spousal abuser, a felon, can essentially open a gun factory in their garage,” Schumer said. “It must be stopped.”
Here’s how you can “print” your own gun:
* Purchase a 3-D printer for $1,000.

* Download free blueprints for Defense Distributed’s 16-component “Liberator.”
* Print out the hard molded pieces.
* Assemble.
Defense Distributed’s version of the Liberator reportedly didn’t violate the law because it included a 6-ounce piece of metal — but people printing out the 16 components at home could replace the part with plastic, Schumer said.
But Defense Distributed’s website says its gun project “might change the way we think about gun control and consumption. How do governments behave if they must one day operate on the assumption that any and every citizen has near- instant access to a firearm through the Internet? Let’s find out.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2SeQu2NaQ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9ReYUgKrJs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think it's ridiculous people think this is a danger. A plastic gun is not sustainable after one or two shots fired. And the whole Metal detectors line is bullshit as I'm sure x-ray machines can see the outline of a gun.
Old 05-07-13, 06:37 PM
Banned by request

Re: The first fully functional 3-D printable Gun

I love it. 3D printers are going to change the world.
Old 05-07-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I think it's ridiculous people think this is a danger. A plastic gun is not sustainable after one or two shots fired.
One or two shots is all it takes if they're the right shots. Or the wrong ones. And make no mistake -- the technology will improve. Within a decade, precision home metal manufacturing will be financially viable.

It doesn't matter, though -- no matter how much Chuck Schumer wants to outlaw these guns, you're not going to be able to stop people from downloading the files and printing the guns.
Old 05-07-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

“Security checkpoints, background checks and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print their own plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser,” Israel said in a statement.
To Schumer, the ramifications of make-your-own untraceable and undetectable weapons are “stomach-churning.”
“Now anyone, a terrorist, someone who is mentally ill, a spousal abuser, a felon, can essentially open a gun factory in their garage,” Schumer said. “It must be stopped.”
I agree that it could be a problem for security check points ... but I suspect criminals and general whack jobs have plenty of non-3D printer gun options out there.

I am not sure though how this is any different from the Anarchists cookbook and other information where people can build bombs from household items. Attempts to ban those have failed and so will any attempt to ban this.
Old 05-07-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So you want to make another law aimed at honest criminals. I mean seriously how is this supposed to stop criminals from getting guns?
Old 05-07-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I love it. 3D printers are going to change the world.
Yea it would be awesome if I could print myself a Kate Beckinsale!
Old 05-07-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Crap, I accidentally voted YES.

In any case:

Dear Mr. Rep. Steve Israel,

Can we make one of those earmarked bill thingies? Like, I'll agree to banning these types of weapons if you can agree we can't print out any 3D Politicians.

Like you, for example.

Best Lovings,

DVD Polizei
Old 05-07-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. It would be pointless.
Old 05-07-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, they effectively shut down file sharing for music and videos, so I don't know why this wouldn't work.
Old 05-07-13, 10:37 PM
Banned by request

Old 05-08-13, 01:57 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
Yea it would be awesome if I could print myself a Kate Beckinsale!
They'll make the machine eventually. They have one that makes Millas:
Old 05-08-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aren't plastic guns already illegal?
Old 05-08-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So now they are banning guns based on the material they are made of? You would think it would just be easier to make murder illegal.
Old 05-08-13, 03:06 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
So now they are banning guns based on the material they are made of? You would think it would just be easier to make murder illegal.
Not so simple. Depends on how long they've been outside the womb.
Old 05-08-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, plastic guns are currently illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undetec...ms_Act_of_1988
Old 05-08-13, 03:13 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The rifle version is still legal I think--It uses metal parts in conjunction with plastic.
Old 05-08-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This one is legal because "Defense Distributed’s version of the Liberator reportedly didn’t violate the law because it included a 6-ounce piece of metal "
Old 05-08-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I think it's ridiculous people think this is a danger. A plastic gun is not sustainable after one or two shots fired. And the whole Metal detectors line is bullshit as I'm sure x-ray machines can see the outline of a gun.
Thing it, this is such a new technology, that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

It won't be too long before 3D printers will be able to make parts out of metal. Actually, they already have them, only in early development phases. They're even working on ones that will work on molecular levels,which are obviously a ways off, but feasible, and will be able to incorporate biological matter.

Trust me, the future of 3D printing is going to be NUTS.
Old 05-08-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yes, plastic guns are currently illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undetec...ms_Act_of_1988
Terrible idea. People will just go out an buy plastic knives and sporks, which are readily available.
Old 05-08-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn it, Thor. You did it again.
Old 05-08-13, 08:30 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Old 05-08-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Being already illegal will not stop politicians from jumping on this to claim a victory by putting them under double secret probation.
Old 05-08-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
One or two shots is all it takes if they're the right shots. Or the wrong ones. And make no mistake -- the technology will improve. Within a decade, precision home metal manufacturing will be financially viable.
This is a really good documentary about the guy and the state of 3D printed guns:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DconsfGsXyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the video he isn't making a handgun as it appears from the OPs video, but instead a "lower receiver" for an AR-15 which is what the clip, stock and trigger mechanism connects to. It's also the only part that is actually considered the firearm according to the ATF (and what needs to be serialized). They demonstrate their receiver which can be fired 15-20 times before it breaks due to recoil forces at the time of the video. Supposedly they're getting a lot better.
Old 05-08-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't people been making devices to shoot .22 rimfire bullets since, like, before OldDude was born?
Old 05-08-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Haven't people been making devices to shoot .22 rimfire bullets since, like, before OldDude was born?
And what has that got to do with crm114s crusade against his brothers hobbies. Stay on topic man!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.