Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Proposed 28th Amendment - Ensure Laws apply equally to Congress

Old 04-29-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Proposed 28th Amendment - Ensure Laws apply equally to Congress

http://www.petition2congress.com/3093/proposed-28th-amendment-to-united-states-constitution/[/url]

An idea whose time has come
For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they didn't pay into Social Security, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform that is being considered...in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop. This is a good way to do that. It is an idea whose time has come.

"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."
Saw this today. Since Congress is already exempt from insider trading and now are trying to ensure they are not bit by Obamacare I think this is an idea who's time has come.

Last edited by BKenn01; 04-29-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-29-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Proposed 28th Amendment - Ensure Laws apply equally to Congress

Since both Democrats and Republicans have taken advantage of exempting themsleves from such laws. Yes this amendment needs to happen, will it? Not a chance.
Old 04-29-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Since both Democrats and Republicans have taken advantage of exempting themsleves from such laws. Yes this amendment needs to happen, will it? Not a chance.
I agree.
Old 04-29-13, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Needs a groundswell of support around it. I see the lady from MoveOn.org has been breaking bread with the Tea Party lately. They both need to get behind it and make the public pressure intense.
Old 04-29-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a stunt. Most laws are meaningless to apply to Congress. It's not as if Chuck Schumer can market drugs without FDA approval or John Boehner can trade stocks on behalf of others without a Series 7 license.

In the specific example of insider trading the insider trading laws are written to prohibit trading on information available only to company insiders. I certainly agree that Congress shouldn't be allowed to trade on information they possess as legislators, but that's a different issue than insider trading.
Old 04-29-13, 09:32 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's a stunt. Most laws are meaningless to apply to Congress. It's not as if Chuck Schumer can market drugs without FDA approval or John Boehner can trade stocks on behalf of others without a Series 7 license.

In the specific example of insider trading the insider trading laws are written to prohibit trading on information available only to company insiders. I certainly agree that Congress shouldn't be allowed to trade on information they possess as legislators, but that's a different issue than insider trading.
How about Congress and staffers exempting themselves from Obamacare?
Old 04-29-13, 10:05 PM

They are also exempt from Sexual Harassment Laws and other regulations. I don't see how this is a "stunt". Seems like a pretty valid gripe to me.
Old 04-29-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a bunch of proposed 28th Amendments that never get off the ground. This is one of them. Or it could sit around for a few hundred years. Heck, the 27th Amendment was proposed by James Madison and it wasn't ratified by enough states until 1992.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 04-29-13 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-30-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, Congress isn’t trying to exempt itself from Obamacare
Old 04-30-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
How about Congress and staffers exempting themselves from Obamacare?
Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
They are also exempt from Sexual Harassment Laws and other regulations. I don't see how this is a "stunt". Seems like a pretty valid gripe to me.
I agree that both laws should apply to Congress. My point was that for the overwhelming majority of laws, the idea of applying them to Congress ranges from meaningless to nonsensical, so the amendment as written would be impossible to apply. That's what makes it a stunt.
Old 04-30-13, 10:00 AM
drc

Bah. Reality has a well known liberal bias.
Old 04-30-13, 10:06 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I have a bit more respect for the U.S. Constitution to want to amend it just for some silly feel-good law that would only affect a few thousand people.
Old 04-30-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
There are a bunch of proposed 28th Amendments that never get off the ground. This is one of them. Or it could sit around for a few hundred years. Heck, the 27th Amendment was proposed by James Madison and it wasn't ratified by enough states until 1992.
Modern proposed amendments come with an expiration date so that can't happen. There are a handful of Amendments from the 19th Century that could still be passed, but none of them are particularly relevant to the modern world.

Now the 28th Amendment I'd like to have is one that states simply that individuals have absolute autonomy over their own bodies -- abortion, suicide, drug use, sex, prostitution, etc. can be regulated only so far as they affect others.
Old 04-30-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I like how Congress is focusing on untangling and interpreting this one "drafting error" that effects them, meanwhile the bill itself is so big no one has ever read it. I wonder if there are any other potential problems lurking in there that might effect those of us in the real world? Probably not. And if there are I'm sure Congress will iron all of them out before this whole thing is enacted.
Old 04-30-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
There are a handful of Amendments from the 19th Century that could still be passed, but none of them are particularly relevant to the modern world.
Nonsense, the Titles of Nobility Amendment will always be relevant. Do you want to live next to a Baron?
Old 04-30-13, 01:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Now the 28th Amendment I'd like to have is one that states simply that individuals have absolute autonomy over their own bodies -- abortion, suicide, drug use, sex, prostitution, etc. can be regulated only so far as they affect others.
That would outlaw abortion.
Old 04-30-13, 01:22 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Nonsense, the Titles of Nobility Amendment will always be relevant. Do you want to live next to a Baron?
I actually used to live next door to a Baron. He was a nice guy.
Old 04-30-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a while since I studied this, but 2/3 of the House and 2/3 of the Senate needs to agree on an amendment before sending to the states (which 3/4 need to agree), correct?

I don't think anybody in the House or Senate would ever touch this idea with a ten foot pole, but could this happen in reverse? Could this originate in the States, then get sent to the House and Senate?

I wouldn't mind seeing Representatives and Senators have to go on record as saying they oppose the idea of being held to the same standards as their constituents.
Old 04-30-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
It's been a while since I studied this, but 2/3 of the House and 2/3 of the Senate needs to agree on an amendment before sending to the states (which 3/4 need to agree), correct?

I don't think anybody in the House or Senate would ever touch this idea with a ten foot pole, but could this happen in reverse? Could this originate in the States, then get sent to the House and Senate?

I wouldn't mind seeing Representatives and Senators have to go on record as saying they oppose the idea of being held to the same standards as their constituents.
Two-thirds of the states can propose an amendment by convention, but that has never happened before. If it did, then Congress could call a state-ratifying convention, where it would need a 3/4ths vote.
Old 04-30-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the threshold was 50% and not 66%, this might have a shot. I think only 25 states would go along with starting this process.

1.) Alabama
2.) Alaska
3.) Arizona
4.) Arkansas
5.) Florida
6.) Georgia
7.) Idaho
8.) Indiana
9.) Kansas
10.) Louisiana
11.) Mississippi
12.) Missouri
13.) Montana
14.) Nebraska
15.) North Carolina
16.) North Dakota
17.) Oklahoma
18.) South Carolina
19.) South Dakota
20.) Tennessee
21.) Texas
22.) Utah
23.) Virginia
24.) Wisconsin
25.) Wyoming
Old 04-30-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So all the suckass states.

Old 04-30-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Audre Lord called it: The master's tools shall never dismantle the master's house.
Old 04-30-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So all the suckass states.

I didn't mention Pennsylvania.
Old 04-30-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't mention Pennsylvania.
We built this country. Show some respect.
Old 04-30-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the threshold was 50% and not 66%, this might have a shot. I think only 25 states would go along with starting this process.

1.) Alabama
2.) Alaska
3.) Arizona
4.) Arkansas
5.) Florida
6.) Georgia
7.) Idaho
8.) Indiana
9.) Kansas
10.) Louisiana
11.) Mississippi
12.) Missouri
13.) Montana
14.) Nebraska
15.) North Carolina
16.) North Dakota
17.) Oklahoma
18.) South Carolina
19.) South Dakota
20.) Tennessee
21.) Texas
22.) Utah
23.) Virginia
24.) Wisconsin
25.) Wyoming
Why do you think this is an issue that divides along red/blue lines? I would suspect this is something that would resonate with the overhwleming majority of voters across ideologies.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.