Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Post your non-religious arguments against marriage equality (for us to argue with)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Post your non-religious arguments against marriage equality (for us to argue with)

Old 04-19-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember ... no religiously based arguments.

Let 'er rip!

PS: TracerBullet, this one's for you.
Old 04-19-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk God

re: Post your non-religious arguments against marriage equality (for us to argue with)

Because it goes against God.
Old 04-19-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Post your non-religious arguments against marriage equality (for us to argue with)

Because it will entice children to marry their box turtles.
Old 04-19-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

In so far as society should be promoting relationships and family structures, it should promote those structures which are most beneficial to society. All other factors being equal, the traditional family model is the best model for raising children to be good citizens.
Old 04-19-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Because it goes against God.
Old 04-19-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because I'm tired of seeing photos of two guys who look exactly alike posing together in the marriage announcements of the Sunday New York Times. Why do short, fat, bald men insist on marrying themselves?
Old 04-19-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
In so far as society should be promoting relationships and family structures, it should promote those structures which are most beneficial to society. All other factors being equal, the traditional family model is the best model for raising children to be good citizens.
So do married couples that choose not to have children go against that "beneficial to society" thing as well?
Old 04-19-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
So do married couples that choose not to have children go against that "beneficial to society" thing as well?
Christ. Yet another suicide-attempt-filled weekend for the wife and I
Old 04-19-13, 10:31 AM

In other words, you're making perfect the enemy of good.
Old 04-19-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
They do. My political party supports fertility testing of all couples prior to marriage.
Old 04-19-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
In other words, you're making perfect the enemy of good.
If I were strongly opposed to gay marriage (which I am not) it would be on religious grounds. But, the question was for a non-religious argument, so there you go.
Old 04-19-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well there's two things on the internet that explain it well

1. This reposted web comic
Spoiler:

2. What happened in NZ after their whole thing. http://dailycurrant.com/2013/04/18/s...ay-marriage-2/
Old 04-19-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because gay people are icky and shouldn't kiss in public.

Unless they are hot lesbians.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!
Old 04-19-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Which is why we also need to prohibit any and all divorces.
Old 04-19-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "Please post your religious arguments against marriage equality" thread would probably be a lot more fun. If only we had one of those!

And you guys are once again blaming Christians for Jewish laws, shamey shame on you!
Old 04-19-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think this pretty much sums the issue up:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bp4yu7HL8l4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-19-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Because it will entice children to marry their box turtles.
This should totally be reworked into a bumper sticker.
Old 04-19-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
Which is why we also need to prohibit any and all divorces.
This is also something my political party supports.
Old 04-19-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An atheist's view against gay marriage:
"I think that there are some important things from our past that need to continue to be part of our present and part of our future. If I was in a different walk of life, if I'd continued in the law and was partner of a law firm now, I would express the same view, that I think for our culture, for our heritage, the Marriage Act and marriage being between a man and a woman has a special status.

"Now, I know people might look at me and think that's something that they wouldn't necessarily expect me to say, but that is what I believe.

"I'm on the record as saying things like I think it's important for people to understand their Bible stories, not because I'm an advocate of religion - clearly, I'm not - but once again, what comes from the Bible has formed such an important part of our culture."
Spoiler:
Old 04-19-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Spoiler:
Yet another reason to <strike>feed her to the dingos</strike> vote her out.
Old 04-19-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Spoiler:
Well, considering how the Labor Party is shifting to a much more conservative stance, that does not surprise me.
Old 04-19-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want them Australian broads running off at the mouth about this ... I'm talkin' about Gee Dee A-MURRRRRR-icans!

P.S. Point taken, however.
Old 04-19-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a non-argument, though. "Some traditions are important simply because they are tradition." OK, but which ones? Australia didn't get women's suffrage until 1902. I assume Prime Minister Gillard wouldn't stand up and say "I think that there are some important things from our past that need to continue to be part of our present and part of our future ... I think for our culture, for our heritage, a male-only franchise has a special status." But if she wouldn't, how are we supposed to know which traditions are like the male-only franchise and which ones are like heterosexual-only marriage?
Old 04-19-13, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got nothing.
Old 04-19-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Homosexuality is a crime against nature. If we legalize homosexual marriage, we will be encouraging crime.

If there are to be no restrictions on marriage, what would keep someone from falsely marrying his roommmate for the monetary benefits, and getting a divorce at the end of the semester?

Or marrying his horse? (It always gets brought up.)

Some regions have a large majority of people who find gay marriage deeply offensive. Those people will have to legally recognize the gay marriages that were performed in secular humanist states.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.