Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder - Obama thinks she should be in jail

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Whose side do you agree with?
Maya Angelou
75.00%
Barack Obama
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder - Obama thinks she should be in jail

Old 04-03-13, 04:03 PM
Political Exile

Checking both google and google news, I did not see this reported on by any of the mainstream media, other than Time magazine. No New York Times, Washington Post, or Associated Press articles. No CBS, NBC, or CNN.

No wonder why some on the political left hate Fox News.

When Obama was a state senator in Illinois, he voted against allowing people in their own homes to use guns to protect themselves and their families from murderers and rapists:

http://nation.foxnews.com/maya-angel...-home-intruder

Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder

Obama supporter and famous poet Maya Angelou was asked by Time Magazine if she had ever fired a gun in her life.

Her answer was surprising — “Of course!” Angelou then recounted a time in which she fired upon a home intruder.

TRANSCRIPT:

Source: TIME's 10 Questions for Maya Angelou

TIME: Your mother — she was your protector. She often carried a gun, she seemed to be very fond of guns. Did you inherit your mother’s fondness for guns?

MAYA ANGELOU: Well, I do like to have guns around, I don’t like to carry them. But I like -- if somebody is going to come into my house and I have not put out the welcome mat, I want to stop them.

TIME: Have you ever fired a weapon?

ANGELOU: Of course!

TIME: At a person?

ANGELOU: I’ve fired it period, not at a person I hope!

I was in my house in North Carolina. It was fall. I heard someone walking on the leaves. And somebody actually turned the knob. So I said, "Stand four feet back because I'm going to shoot now!" Boom! Boom! The police came by and said, "Ms. Angelou, the shots came from inside the house." I said, "Well, I don't know how that happened."

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/201...n-defend-home/

Obama Opposed Gun Ban Exception to Defend One’s Home

by Keith Koffler on January 11, 2013, 9:58 am

As a state senator in Illinois, President Obama opposed legislation providing an exception to handgun restrictions if the weapon was used in the defense of one’s home.

Obama’s vote would have maintained the status quo, which made it a violation of municipal gun ban law to use a firearm to save your own life in your own home. But the bill was passed anyway without his support.

The vote is a sign of how committed Obama may be to strict gun control measures.

The Illinois vote is hardly ancient history, having occurred in 2004 as Obama was running for election to the U.S. Senate. In opposing the measure, Obama lined up well to the left of the mainstream, as the Illinois Senate included 32 Democrats to 26 Republicans but approved the bill by an overwhelming margin and subsequently overrode a veto by then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Obama did not participate in the veto override, which occurred in November 2004, likely after Obama had resigned his state Senate seat in order to prepare for his new role in the U.S. Senate.

The Illinois legislation was passed after a man who shot a burglar in his home was fined $750 by his town for disobeying its handgun ban. The absurdity and injustice of the situation doesn’t seem to have made much of an impression on Obama.

Just eight years earlier, in 1996, Obama answered “Yes” to a survey question asking whether he would support state legislation to “ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns.” The Obama 2008 presidential campaign claimed the form had been filled out by an aide who mischaracterized Obama’s position, even though Obama’s handwriting was found on survey.

Last edited by grundle; 04-03-13 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder - Obama thinks she should be in jai

Ok this shit is just getting ridiculous now. grundle needs to cut the crap or leave, imo.
Old 04-03-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder - Obama thinks she should be in jai

Or... she thought she heard something and fired a gun at nothing. Technically it should read 'Poet, spooked by noise, fires blindly through door"

Incidentally, this is a case for gun reform. Many times home owners freak out a shoot blindly killing children sneaking in/out of the house or other members of the family wandering around in the dark.

On behalf of the secret shadow government Obama set up, I thank you Grundle! This is exactly type of news needed that shows how risky it can be giving untrained people firearms!
Old 04-03-13, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Dude, this is some bullshit. I came in here expecting a good ol' smackdown between Obama and Angelou, and instead I get an anecdote and a voting record.
Old 04-03-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Ok this shit is just getting ridiculous now. grundle needs to cut the crap or leave, imo.
You guys really need to lighten up. You drove poor Wm Lopez out and now you're going after Grundle too? They are the somewhat eccentric relatives that add a little lunacy to the proceedings. Do you really have to have everyone toeing the line or GTFO? Think of them like 9gag, a blitvert on the dour normal threads. Or is this really serious business for youz.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
Old 04-03-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wm Lopez can leave this forum... but he can never leave our hearts.
Old 04-03-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Think of them like 9gag, a blitvert on the dour normal threads.
I understand approximately 50% of this sentence.
Old 04-03-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, I thought grundle was against black people shooting guns. Or is that only in Chicago?
Old 04-03-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
You guys really need to lighten up. You drove poor Wm Lopez out and now you're going after Grundle too? They are the somewhat eccentric relatives that add a little lunacy to the proceedings. Do you really have to have everyone toeing the line or GTFO? Think of them like 9gag, a blitvert on the dour normal threads. Or is this really serious business for youz.
Hey I never wanted wmlopez to leave, and he's technically only suspended , but yes the political forum does have standards for posting new threads and this is his worst one yet. I'm not reporting it to the mods because I don't think it actually breaks any specific rules but maybe a self-imposed exile would work ...and I have no idea what a 9gag, a blitvert, or a dour is.
Old 04-03-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Where's the part about Maya Angelou shooting at an intruder? She told an anecdote about firing a gun through her door one time at a noise.

And wasn't the issue with the Obama vote simply that the guy violated the handgun ban, period? Who cares if the guy used the gun for self-defense. He shouldn't have had it in the first place if he wanted to live there.
Old 04-03-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Obama already wanted her in jail for being successful. The gun was just icing on the cake. Enjoy Gitmo!
Old 04-03-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Come on... now you're recycling content from your own old posts on FreeRepublic?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2977073/posts
Old 04-03-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love grundle threads.

It's a fun game; you read the thread title and then you try and figure out how it actually relates to the story in the thread. Sometimes it doesn't at all, it's great.
Old 04-03-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
Come on... now you're recycling content from your own old posts on FreeRepublic?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2977073/posts
I love that you've introduced me to this strange parallel world where grundle is the thoughtful, sensible poster whose threads are valued by the other posters.
Old 04-03-13, 07:59 PM
Suspended

Obama is still an asshole and will side with whoever is giving him the most money.

Such a man of change.
Old 04-03-13, 08:02 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Or... she thought she heard something and fired a gun at nothing. Technically it should read 'Poet, spooked by noise, fires blindly through door"

Incidentally, this is a case for gun reform. Many times home owners freak out a shoot blindly killing children sneaking in/out of the house or other members of the family wandering around in the dark.

On behalf of the secret shadow government Obama set up, I thank you Grundle! This is exactly type of news needed that shows how risky it can be giving untrained people firearms!
I agree with you that a person shouldn't shoot blindly through a door -they could end up killing an innocent person.

But given how much the political left loves Angelou, I thought this was kind of interesting.

You may think my post is ridiculous - but I note that you didn't challenge me on the actual truth of what I said.
Old 04-03-13, 08:05 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Wait, I thought grundle was against black people shooting guns. Or is that only in Chicago?
I am in favor of innocent people of all races using guns for self defense.

I am against any person of any race using guns to commit murder.
Old 04-03-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
You may think my post is ridiculous - but I note that you didn't challenge me on the actual truth of what I said.
Ok. Here's a challenge. Barack Obama has to my knowledge never said Maya Angelou should be in jail.
Old 04-03-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I am in favor of innocent people of all races using guns for self defense.

I am against any person of any race using guns to commit murder.
I'm pretty sure blindly firing a gun through a door is manslaughter at least, and maybe even murder.

So what's your point?
Old 04-03-13, 08:13 PM
Political Exile

Ok. Here's a challenge. Barack Obama has to my knowledge never said Maya Angelou should be in jail.
You're correct that Obama hasn't said specifically that Angelou should be in jail.

And even though he did vote the way that he did, she doesn't live in Illinois anyway.

However, his vote means that he believes that anyone and everyone who does what Angelou did, should be in jail.
Old 04-03-13, 08:18 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm pretty sure blindly firing a gun through a door is manslaughter at least, and maybe even murder.

So what's your point?
She said someone was turning the knob. And she didn't say that as if it was someone who had a key, or who lived there. She believed that someone was trying to break into her home.

I do agree that firing a gun through a door is a bad idea, because she could have killed an innocent person. And if she had killed an innocent person, I would favor prosecuting her.

But if the person was not innocent - if it really was an intruder - then I am against prosecuting her.

But not Obama - he thinks that it should be illegal to use a gun to protect yourself and your family from rapists and murderers in your own home.