Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Monsanto Protection Act

Old 03-29-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Monsanto Protection Act

Not surprised in the least but disappointed definitely

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-bill-blunt-agriculture-006/
Old 03-29-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Monsanto Protection Act

One year could be all it takes to cause catastrophic damage to the environment by allowing laboratory-produced organisms to be planted into the earth without oversight [by federal judges].
Fnord! Fnord!
Old 03-29-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't like how the bill was crafted, but that isn't surprising. Same way the health care bill was. But I tend to find that most of the concern over GMO is just wacky hippie shit.
Old 03-29-13, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
But I tend to find that most of the concern over GMO is just wacky hippie shit.
But didn't you read the article? "Questions remain largely unanswered about the health risks these types of products pose to consumers".

Of course, that's just an alarmist way of saying "No health risks associated with these types of products have been found".
Old 03-29-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

And all our food is genetically modified to one degree or another. This is just using more science to do it and less "farmer Fred makes a hybrid" stuff. Most people who freak about this because they believe in "organic" have no idea what an unmodified banana would look and taste like.
Old 03-29-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good rule of thumb, if 61 other countries including China label their GMOs then the US should do it too.
Old 03-29-13, 11:50 AM

The article has nothing to do with GMO labeling, but by God, let's model ourselves after China!
Old 03-29-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Ingredients: contains natural and artificial genetics." The durum wheat in your noodles is not the wild grass from central Asia. It's the product of thousands of years of genetic manipulation. But I'm sure that some natural genetic material is still in it.
Old 03-29-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Good rule of thumb, if 61 other countries including China label their GMOs then the US should do it too.
Yep, in many of those countries the GMO opinion is not backed by their own science institutions. Much like in our country, politicians are not scientists, and those making those decisions are largely fueled by ignorance.

Bullshit did the best bit on the subject I've seen yet.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tIvNopv9Pa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-29-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Read "Wheat Belly", you might at least have an open mind to the potential problems caused by GMO. It really doesn't make sense for the product not to be tested for safety.
Old 03-29-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
Read "Wheat Belly", you might at least have an open mind to the potential problems caused by GMO. It really doesn't make sense for the product not to be tested for safety.
What makes you think they are not tested? You'd think that if testing was such a big deal then "organic pesticides" would be regulated or tested (hint: they're not!) or that organic farming would be more concerned with their high bacterial content, or the fact that their soil is less sustainable due to higher higher concentration of untested pesticides.

Oh, and "Wheat Belly" is a work of fiction. Here is a clue; books have editors who check for spelling errors, science journals have peer review who confirm facts. My Mom, big Doc Oz nut, purchased it. I read just enough to see a con-artist push gluten sensitivity into a scare-tactic fad used to push a diet.

Because I'm diabetic (and she is fringe) she's always eating up every alternative nonsense fad that deals with sugars and carbs.
Old 03-29-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree.
Old 03-29-13, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
What makes you think they are not tested? You'd think that if testing was such a big deal then "organic pesticides" would be regulated or tested (hint: they're not!) or that organic farming would be more concerned with their high bacterial content, or the fact that their soil is less sustainable due to higher higher concentration of untested pesticides.

Oh, and "Wheat Belly" is a work of fiction. Here is a clue; books have editors who check for spelling errors, science journals have peer review who confirm facts. My Mom, big Doc Oz nut, purchased it. I read just enough to see a con-artist push gluten sensitivity into a scare-tactic fad used to push a diet.

Because I'm diabetic (and she is fringe) she's always eating up every alternative nonsense fad that deals with sugars and carbs.
Yes he quotes a lot of "scientific" studies that I cant confirm or deny but one thing for sure what he says about Obesity being worse than it was 50 years ago is true. Something is causing it.
Old 03-29-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes he quotes a lot of "scientific" studies that I cant confirm or deny but one thing for sure what he says about Obesity being worse than it was 50 years ago is true. Something is causing it.
People being lazier?
Old 03-29-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fat fuck Americans eating like fat fucks. Gorging themselves on food and not exercising. Inactivity, etc.....
Old 03-29-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

We had TV 50 years ago but nothing like today.. and computers, video games, internet, etc.. People used to actually go out and about. They'd walk to and from events instead of fighting for the parking spot in front. A good majority of jobs these days are mental.. so you sit in a chair all day. And five guys.
Old 03-29-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"... compared to other countries, there's no other place on the planet that has cheaper food than the U.S. The 5.5% of disposable income that Americans spend on food at home is less than half the amount of income spent by Germans (11.4%), the French (13.6%), the Italians (14.4%), and less than one-third the amount of income spent by consumers in South Africa (20.1%), Mexico (24.1%), and Turkey (24.5%), which is about what Americans spent DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION, and far below what consumers spend in Kenya (45.9%) and Pakistan (45.6%)."
http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2010/07/...cans-have.html

You think maybe that Americans are fat, because we consume a lot of food, because it's cheap?

We're the only country in the world that drives full size pickup trucks, and it's because gas costs less than a dollar a liter. If gas cost us $3/L, like in Europe, a lot more people would be driving economy cars.
Old 03-29-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe people like the freedom afforded by such vehicles -- like hauling 7-foot display panels around.
Old 03-29-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Roy Blunt looks like a GMO Potato Head.

I guess if Monsanto says it's safe, then it must be.

Conflict of interest is Standard Operating Procedure in Washington.
Old 03-29-13, 09:02 PM
Banned by request

Regardless of what you think of GMOs, the fact that a company just bought legislation that gives them immunity from oversight is disturbing, especially when you consider that small food co-ops routinely get raided by law enforcement for selling unpasteurized milk.
Old 03-29-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly. And Monsanto has a history of intimidating smaller farmers, as well as making legislation which allows them to sue farmers if their GMO product happens to fall on near-by farming land, easily putting local farmers out of business.

Thanks, Obama.

And people say Bush was a sell-out. Look at this motherfucker, thank-you.
Old 03-29-13, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Regardless of what you think of GMOs, the fact that a company just bought legislation that gives them immunity from oversight is disturbing, especially when you consider that small food co-ops routinely get raided by law enforcement for selling unpasteurized milk.
Prime example of the problems of govt. as pointed out in Atlas Shrugged....
Old 03-30-13, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Exactly. And Monsanto has a history of intimidating smaller farmers, as well as making legislation which allows them to sue farmers if their GMO product happens to fall on near-by farming land, easily putting local farmers out of business.

Thanks, Obama.

And people say Bush was a sell-out. Look at this motherfucker, thank-you.
Organic farming is big business. You are just falling for the propaganda. If you actually look into these cases of Monsanto suing farmers you'll find only a handful of cases, of which most were actually warranted. These scare-tactic claims of these near-by farming land suits do not actually exist. Usually they are breach their contract cases or patent infringement. Last time I checked, there has never been an instance of this inadvertent "trace amount" contamination lawsuit ever happening. Which is exactly why the class action lawsuit got tossed out.
Old 03-30-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We eat like gluttons.
Old 03-30-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at what Monsanto has done to the banana:

who would ever eat something that looks like this?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.