Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

A Society of Sheep Must in Time Beget a Government of Wolves (Politics Sheep Vol 8)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

A Society of Sheep Must in Time Beget a Government of Wolves (Politics Sheep Vol 8)

Old 03-06-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to Politics & World Events Sheep Vol 8!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

<ul><li> The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font>) or least common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font>), but still correct.
<li> Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font> question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
<li> Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font> question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
<li> Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
<li> There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
<li> You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
<li> Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself.
<li> Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
<li> Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>.
</ul>

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

<li> Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -15
2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
<li> Slam Dunks {sd}
Spoiler:
No Slam Dunks! 10 point penalty for anyone who tries to use one!

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself.

I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

The Questions

<ol>
US Presidents

<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Who is the most underrated US President of all time?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a US President that was not a member of The Republican Party (est. 1854) or The Democratic Party (est. 1828) while in office.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a popular Presidential campaign slogan.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a US President that served less than one full term in office.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a popular nickname of a US President.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a US President that achieved the rank of Brigadier General or higher in the US Armed Forces

Ancient History

<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name an Egyptian Pharaoh whose name didn’t begin with T.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a Roman Emperor that reigned before 100AD.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a Chinese Dynasty other than Ming.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name one of the books of the Pentateuch (first five books of the Old Testament).
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Besides The Vikings, name a Germanic people that are often called Barbarians.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name one of the Twelve Olympians in Greek Mythology.

Royalty

<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a famous British/English monarch who wasn’t named Elizabeth. If you just give a name and not a number, then it will default to "The first".
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name one of Henry VIII’s wives
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a currently enthroned monarch in the world other than Queen Elizabeth II.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name one of the current first 10 people in the line of succession to the British throne.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a famous world monach, past or present, that didn't have King or Queen as a title.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a current Commonwealth realm (a country that currently has Queen Elizabeth II as a monarch).

US Civil War and American Revolution

<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Gettysburg is the most famous Civil War battle. Name another.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a Confederate State. There were 11.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a Civil War General for either side other than Grant and Lee.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Historian Richard B Morris named seven men as the key Founding Fathers of the United States. Name one.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name somebody other than George Washington that was a military leader for either side in the American Revolutionary War.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a city that served as a capital of one of the Thirteen Colonies.

US Elections

<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a state that awarded less than 10 electoral votes in the 2012 US Presidential Election
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> I was born May 26, 1980. Name somebody that ran for Vice-President on a losing major party presidential ticket in my lifetime.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Name a really close Presidential election that didn't involve George W. Bush.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Name a candidate for President or Vice-President of the United States who received at least one electoral vote and isn’t a white Protestant male.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Who will be the Republican candidate for US President in the 2016 Presidential Election?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Hillary Clinton is the frontrunner for Democratic candidate for US President in 2016. Who will be her VP pick?
</ol>
Make sure you read all of the rules!

EDIT: Major party means Republican or Democrat. I want to nip that in the bud right now.

The game is now closed.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 03-07-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: A Society of Sheep Must in Time Beget a Government of Wolves (Politics Sheep Vol

I've only read about half the questions, but this seems quite fantastic. Don't know that I can formulate a cogent entry before the deadline closes, but I'm going to try.
Old 03-06-13, 07:00 PM

Re: A Society of Sheep Must in Time Beget a Government of Wolves (Politics Sheep Vol

I'll give this a shot.

I have one question, though. For #13, is the monarch's name enough or should we also give a number (i.e., Elizabeth I/Elizabeth II)?
Old 03-06-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In! Will send in answers later today. I will filibuster if needed.
Old 03-06-13, 07:05 PM

I need to know who is playing, please.
Old 03-06-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Right now I have 28 entries.

wendersfan
Howie2000
Fist of Doom
JasonF
ivelostr2
Pharoh
Nick Danger
Todd B.
Kal Varnsen
rocket1312
feenst
Bearfan
Groucho
TBC
wishbone
Damfino
dalbowski
funkpie
maxfisher
orangecrush
CRM114
Red Dog
cnicholls44
bunkaroo
Obi-Wan Jabroni
Tracer Bullet
davidh777
Rockmjd23

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 03-07-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 07:19 PM

I'm in this time.
Old 03-06-13, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Right now I have one entry from Rockmjd23

Damn, he is playing? Now I have to go change my answers.
Old 03-06-13, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I'm in this time.

By the way, how much snow you get? Nice for it to be down there for a change.
Old 03-06-13, 07:23 PM

By the way, how much snow you get? Nice for it to be down there for a change.
We got about three inches that overnight turned to slush.
Old 03-06-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sent

know nothing about monarchy-civil war so went with a lot of joke answers
Old 03-06-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did my patriotic duty and sent in my lousy answers.
Old 03-06-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm in. It's not like I can do any worse than I did in Horror Sheep.
Old 03-06-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
sent

know nothing about monarchy-civil war so went with a lot of joke answers

What's so civil about war anyway?
Old 03-06-13, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Right now I have 6 entries.

wendersfan
Howie2000
Fist of Doom
JasonF
ivelostr2
Rockmjd23

Thanks. Answers sent regardless.

I wasn't sure about how to answer a couple, but tried to be sheepy. Good questions.
Old 03-06-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in.

I think I forgot to answer #30. Oh well, the penalty for a correction is more than I would make back.
Old 03-06-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I sent answers...some of them i just guessed on.
Old 03-06-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some tough questions, but answers have been sent.
Old 03-06-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love history, I'm in!
Old 03-06-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in! Answers coming later tonight.

I Know a lot about history, so another last place finish is guaranteed!

Update: Answers sent! last place is locked up again!

Last edited by Damfino; 03-06-13 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in
Old 03-06-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Sheep games, but know nothing about this topic.
Old 03-06-13, 10:31 PM

Some good questions...answers sent!
Old 03-06-13, 10:34 PM

Sent my answers.
Old 03-06-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate being in the Political forum.

I ventured out of this topic and ended up reading like 3 other threads. I feel so dirty and lied to now...and then I'm always so surprised when i read something completely idiotic by someone I know and respect from one of the other forums and it changes how I feel about them.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.