Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Old 02-23-13, 08:40 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,310
America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

FORBES has a article out....

Detroit Tops 2013 List Of America's Most Miserable Cities

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...erable-cities/

How they compiled the list....

"This year we examined nine factors for the 200 largest metro areas in the U.S. The metrics include the serious: violent crime, unemployment, foreclosures, taxes (income and property) and home prices. We also include less weighty, but still important quality-of-life issues like commute times and weather.

We tweaked the methodology in this year’s list in response to feedback from readers, dropping our rankings of both pro sports team success and political corruption, since both were based on regional, rather than city-specific data. We also added a new measure—net migration—which we see as a clear gauge of whether or not residents feel a community is worth living in. Detroit, which ranked No. 2 last year, also would have finished No. 1 under the previous methodology"

The Top 20 Cities....
1...Detroit Mich
2...Flint Mich
3...Rockford Ill
4...Chicago Ill
5...Medesto CA
6...Vallejo CA
7...Warren Mich
8...Stockton Mich
9...Lake County Ill
10...New York NY
11...Toledo OH
12...St.Louis MO
13...Camden NJ
14...Milwaukee Wisc
15...Atlantic City NJ
16...Atlanta GA
17...Cleveland OH
18...Poughkeepsie NY
19...Gary Ind
20...Youngstown OH

As to how one looks at the list...it's pretty glaring in several areas.....

*One southern city and none from the mid west
*17 are all up north
*Bastons of big goverment, big spending, taxes and unions both public and private
*Heavy Democratic
K&AJones is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 10:37 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

New York City is still the greatest city in the world.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 10:41 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,940
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Lake County Ill is not a city
Talkin2Phil is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 11:07 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,952
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
New York City is still the greatest city in the world.
No. That would be Los Angeles.
Why So Blu? is online now  
Old 02-23-13, 11:55 AM
  #5  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, still live here, and love it. It is not the greatest city in the world.

That city would be London.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 12:01 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,679
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

MI, IL, OH, IN, WI are in the midwest.

SC and MS aren't so great.
Ranger is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 12:16 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,940
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013



People are most depressed in the south, heavy republican states...makes you think.
Talkin2Phil is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 12:42 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,164
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

I'm absolutely stunned that Detroit is #1
Also not surprised to see Chicago on there with all the violent crime being reported.
Osiris3657 is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 01:07 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,952
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

My friend just moved to Austin from Cleveland, OH. He says that OH is a shithole.
Why So Blu? is online now  
Old 02-23-13, 01:19 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Stockton is in California, not Michigan.
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 02:12 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
BKenn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Big Blue Nation!
Posts: 4,497
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
New York City is still the greatest city in the world.
Yes because you can raise Hell and break the Law 24 hours a day. Why, because everything is against the law......Get raped, you dont need a gun pee your pants and put that fucking Big Gulp down........

Sorry you can have that barren wasteland of nannys.....
BKenn01 is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 02:21 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,370
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Having Poughkeepsie rank #18 proves the validity of their methodology.

Can't say that I miss Poughkeepsie or the Mid-Hudson Valley. Some of the people, yes, but the area, no.
sracer is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 02:22 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,654
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post


People are most depressed in the south, heavy republican states...makes you think.
Holy shit. Maybe there WAS something to that Lawrence Welk thing.
Vibiana is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 03:04 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,571
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
MI, IL, OH, IN, WI are in the midwest.

SC and MS aren't so great.
Now I'm curious what states K&AJones thinks are in the Midwest. Do we make the cut here in Iowa?
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 03:20 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 21,539
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

I see a trend. The Great Lakes region dominates the list.

The Top 20 Cities....
1...Detroit Mich
2...Flint Mich
3...Rockford Ill
4...Chicago Ill

7...Warren Mich

9...Lake County Ill

11...Toledo OH

14...Milwaukee Wisc


17...Cleveland OH

19...Gary Ind
20...Youngstown OH


But Google Maps has never heard of Stockton, Mich.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 03:23 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,654
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

The cities above are all Rust Belt areas, right?
Vibiana is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 03:34 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,968
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
No. That would be Los Angeles.
LA is not a city. There are only 2 in the US, NYC and Chicago. If LA was a city then LI is a far larger one.

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
Yes because you can raise Hell and break the Law 24 hours a day. Why, because everything is against the law......Get raped, you dont need a gun pee your pants and put that fucking Big Gulp down........

Sorry you can have that barren wasteland of nannys.....
I get what you are saying but passing a law does not mean that anyone follows it.
arminius is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 03:49 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 21,539
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
LA is not a city. There are only 2 in the US, NYC and Chicago. If LA was a city then LI is a far larger one.
What is your definition of a city?
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 04:24 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,888
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Forbes is snorting the usual high-end coke.

I'd easily put many NW cities on that list, but of course, that wouldn't be politically correct, because these cities are so "progressive" and "green" and "friendly".

Which is a bunch of crap.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 04:38 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,062
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

I happen to live in Lake County, IL and used to live in Chicago, so when I saw this list the other day, I checked it out. The problems with both areas were 1) commutes, 2) weather, and 3) home prices. The first two clearly have nothing to do with politics. For the third, I don't think local government has much effect on housing prices, though if somebody wants to make the argument that it does, I'd love to hear it.
JasonF is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 04:47 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,888
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Portland, OR has rather shitty weather.

Portland, OR has unrealistically high home & housing prices (meaning, the city inflates the values to get high property taxes).

Portland, OR has some of the worst commuting in the US if compared to a similar city of size.

Portland, OR roads are falling apart, and a recent city audit says it will be impossible to repair them anytime soon because of severe neglect and money going to...mass transit and non-vehicle pet projects that routinely fall short of completion time and have little impact on a city's progression to be able to withstand a higher population growth. I-5 Bridge expansion for example, which is a major highway, connecting massive amounts products on large trucks, but apparently Oregon doesn't think it's worth the upgrade, and simply wants to use the money for mass transit commuting over the bridge and..of course...bicycle lanes. Last time I checked, a fucking bicycle didn't deliver my HDTV, my groceries, or anything else come to think of it.

There are certainly politics involved, as well as a corrupt ideology to be a welfare state, dependent on the Fed, instead of self-sufficiency.

So, why wouldn't Portland, OR be on the top 20. I'm not saying it's entirely politics (just mostly), but Forbes seems to overlook some cities which are obviously not financially friendly to be. Or lets put it another way, which cities does Forbes recommend?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-23-13 at 04:53 PM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 04:53 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,259
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
No. That would be Los Angeles.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 05:06 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Portland, OR has rather shitty weather.

Portland, OR has unrealistically high home & housing prices (meaning, the city inflates the values to get high property taxes).

Portland, OR has some of the worst commuting in the US if compared to a similar city of size.

Portland, OR roads are falling apart, and a recent city audit says it will be impossible to repair them anytime soon because of severe neglect and money going to...mass transit and non-vehicle pet projects that routinely fall short of completion time and have little impact on a city's progression to be able to withstand a higher population growth. I-5 Bridge expansion for example, which is a major highway, connecting massive amounts products on large trucks, but apparently Oregon doesn't think it's worth the upgrade, and simply wants to use the money for mass transit commuting over the bridge and..of course...bicycle lanes. Last time I checked, a fucking bicycle didn't deliver my HDTV, my groceries, or anything else come to think of it.

There are certainly politics involved, as well as a corrupt ideology to be a welfare state, dependent on the Fed, instead of self-sufficiency.

So, why wouldn't Portland, OR be on the top 20. I'm not saying it's entirely politics (just mostly), but Forbes seems to overlook some cities which are obviously not financially friendly to be. Or lets put it another way, which cities does Forbes recommend?
Because Portlandia is hilarious.

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
Yes because you can raise Hell and break the Law 24 hours a day. Why, because everything is against the law......Get raped, you dont need a gun pee your pants and put that fucking Big Gulp down........

Sorry you can have that barren wasteland of nannys.....
I think the proper geography of the United States' barren wasteland is everything between NY and LA.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 05:58 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,571
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Forbes is snorting the usual high-end coke.

I'd easily put many NW cities on that list, but of course, that wouldn't be politically correct, because these cities are so "progressive" and "green" and "friendly".

Which is a bunch of crap.
Isn't Forbes edited by the former Republican presidential candidate of the same name? It seems unlikely he would give cities a pass for being too liberal.

But maybe Portland has a flat tax, I could see that scoring some points with him.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 02-23-13, 06:04 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,062
Re: America's Most Miserable Cities of 2013

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Isn't Forbes edited by the former Republican presidential candidate of the same name?
Are you sure you're not thinking of Teve Torbes?
JasonF is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.