Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Political Correctness: Good or Bad?
Good
18.18%
Bad
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Old 02-21-13, 12:52 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Sadly, the United States has become a nation where many people believe they have a right to never be offended, deliberately or otherwise. I disagree, because the fact is that every statement has the potential to offend someone. I'm tired of people who attack others personally for nothing else than having a dissenting point of view. One of my favorite comics has spoken extensively about this, and I'd like to hear informed and intelligent discussion on the subject.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DKHsyadN_lE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9HBJi_zp9n8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fdzi9bz3EUc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 01:07 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Attempt at a ruse aside, this is really about cakes, gay people, and marriage isn't it?
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 01:18 AM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Attempt at a ruse aside, this is really about cakes, gay people, and marriage isn't it?
Not at all. This is about whether the idea of political correctness causes more benefits or damage for both the U.S., and the world at large.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 02:22 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,243
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

I know what you mean. Every time I piss on an American flag someone whines about it. Usually some dumbfuck who signed up for military service.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 02:35 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,168
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

It's my biggest pet peeve, and has truly been a slippery slope for this country during the past 30 years or so. We can't offend anyone, must please everyone, but at what cost to the individual?

It's madness, and one of the reasons why I weep for children today. Sure, they're "sophisticated" and more 'mature', but their cosmopolitan guise wears thin when issues need actually to be confronted, and action needs to be taken.

Political correctness is, I believe, the epitome of our "first world" problems, followed closely by folks lamtenting the fact that they don't have the latest Iphone...
zyzzle is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 03:37 AM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
It's my biggest pet peeve, and has truly been a slippery slope for this country during the past 30 years or so. We can't offend anyone, must please everyone, but at what cost to the individual?
Not to mention society as a whole.

It's madness, and one of the reasons why I weep for children today. Sure, they're "sophisticated" and more 'mature', but their cosmopolitan guise wears thin when issues need actually to be confronted, and action needs to be taken.
Yep, its terrible when kids who defend themselves from bullies are sent to jail, and there's no weapon involved. Its insane when teenagers commit suicide because no one will do anything about their tormentors, or businesses get sued for one person's irresponsibility. If I'm not being malicious to someone, then their reactions aren't my main concern.

Political correctness is, I believe, the epitome of our "first world" problems, followed closely by folks lamenting the fact that they don't have the latest Iphone...
It all boils down to the foolish belief that "everything is tolerated except intolerance". If you truly care about someone, it sometimes means telling them they're wrong.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 08:11 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,116
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

My parents taught me to be polite, not to whine about the fact that I can't call you a wetback or a heeb. My, how times have changed.
JasonF is online now  
Old 02-21-13, 08:16 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,580
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Glad that we're finally having the hot discussion of 1993 in this forum! Maybe the real problem is absolutes. Why must everything be "good" or "bad"? Is it possible that there are some good things about "political correctness", and some bad things?
Groucho is online now  
Old 02-21-13, 08:24 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BearFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 8,007
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Glad that we're finally having the hot discussion of 1993 in this forum! Maybe the real problem is absolutes. Why must everything be "good" or "bad"? Is it possible that there are some good things about "political correctness", and some bad things?
You have just defeated half the purpose of the internet ... luckily porn is still alive and well.
BearFan is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 08:32 AM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Would comment on the topic, but I'm afraid what others might think.
creekdipper is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 08:34 AM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Isn't this the point where someone posts Louis C.K.'s bit about why it's so great to be a white man?

[I dunno...is it?]
creekdipper is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 08:35 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BearFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 8,007
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Would comment on the topic, but I'm afraid what others might think.
Who you calling other? Bitch
BearFan is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 08:35 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,209
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

There is nothing correct about politics.

As far as having manners, tact and common sense, that is something that most people lack no matter what their beliefs.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 08:46 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,921
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment:

"Political correctness is communist propaganda writ small. In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, nor to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is to co-operate with evil, and in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to."

-Theodore Dalrymple

http://archive.frontpagemag.com/read...spx?ARTID=7445
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:01 AM
  #15  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I think this is a pretty accurate assessment:

"Political correctness is communist propaganda writ small. In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, nor to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is to co-operate with evil, and in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to."

-Theodore Dalrymple
Very nice; I like it.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:17 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,461
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
My parents taught me to be polite, not to whine about the fact that I can't call you a wetback or a heeb. My, how times have changed.
If your parents were typical of their generation, I'll bet that they taught you to be more than polite. They probably taught you to not look down upon others who are different than you. They probably taught you to not pre-judge anyone. If so, they not only trained you in your behavior (actions), but in your thinking as well.

THAT is the danger and problem with political correctness. It addresses the words and the actions, but not the underlying thoughts.

Political correctness is a tool in the dumbing down of society... we as a society are "ok" with what you think as long as you don't use certain words. Then when attitudes haven't changed, the PC-ness gets more sensitive. PC is only concerned with outward appearance.

I'm not talking about or advocating thought-control. But it seems like the collective morality of society is in decline.

Now it is a free-for-all. Civility and politeness have gone from mainstream society.
sracer is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:24 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,726
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Saying "Happy Holidays" is polite not politically incorrect. As JasonF points out, it's really about being polite, isn't it?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:28 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,564
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Political Correctness, or as it's otherwise known: not being an asshole.
Nausicaa is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:35 AM
  #19  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Saying "Happy Holidays" is polite not politically incorrect. As JasonF points out, it's really about being polite, isn't it?
Then how come no one says "Happy Holidays" in other months with multiples, like February? At that point, you have Valentine's, President's Day, Groundhog Day, and Mardi Gras...yet, people always specify it.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:37 AM
  #20  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
THAT is the danger and problem with political correctness. It addresses the words and the actions, but not the underlying thoughts.
Of course, because they think that changing the outside automatically changes the inside, too. It doesn't work that way.
moviefan2k4 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:39 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,513
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Yes folks, we have a new grundle
cungar is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:47 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,628
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Yep, its terrible when kids who defend themselves from bullies are sent to jail, and there's no weapon involved. Its insane when teenagers commit suicide because no one will do anything about their tormentors
Wait, I thought the whole anti-bullying campaign was seen as political correctness, and that the non-PC view was kids were supposed to just be tougher and not run to teachers/parents/big brother when someone called them fatty fatty boombalatty or whatever.

I'm pretty sure "politically incorrect" is kind of like "hipster." It's pretty much meaningless beyond "Here's something that annoys me."
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:55 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
One of my favorite comics has spoken extensively about this, and I'd like to hear informed and intelligent discussion on the subject.
Hmm... I've never heard of Brad Stine and it looks like I'm not missing much. You know who's a big fan, though? You guys should talk!
dork is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:58 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,584
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

wishbone is offline  
Old 02-21-13, 09:59 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,726
Re: Political Correctness: Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Then how come no one says "Happy Holidays" in other months with multiples, like February? At that point, you have Valentine's, President's Day, Groundhog Day, and Mardi Gras...yet, people always specify it.
Because no one says "Happy..." anything for those holidays. Happy Holidays a) is just an inclusive phrase to include New Years AND b) a phrase not to make a presumption about someone's religion. In other words, not being an asshole.
CRM114 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.