Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama wants minimum wage increase

Old 02-14-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obama wants minimum wage increase

Phased up to $9 over three years and let it be tied to inflation so Congress doesn't have to keep voting for an increase now and then.

Bush signed a MW increase in his second term and it has been $7.25 since 2009.

I think Congress actually will vote for the $9 part but probably not the peg to inflation part. Think it will happen?
Old 02-14-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Obama wants minimum wage increase

Seems fine to me but I'm sure there are all kinds of opinions that'll keep it from happening.
Old 02-14-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

But this is going to hurt small businesses. How will they make it through?
Old 02-14-13, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Obama's statement during the state of the union was so lame. He said basicly it's not right that a couple both earning minimum wage can't raise a family. You're not supposed to live comfortably on minimum wage. You're not supposed to make a career out of minimum wage. You're not supposed to start a family when you make minimum wage. It's sub-entry level work that you're supposed to move up or out of as fast as you can. We aren't going to get anywhere in this country if we let people park themselves at a minimum wage job for 35 years because it pays them just enough to raise a family.
Old 02-14-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Obama's statement during the state of the union was so lame. He said basicly it's not right that a couple both earning minimum wage can't raise a family. You're not supposed to live comfortably on minimum wage. You're not supposed to make a career out of minimum wage. You're not supposed to start a family when you make minimum wage. It's sub-entry level work that you're supposed to move up or out of as fast as you can. We aren't going to get anywhere in this country if we let people park themselves at a minimum wage job for 35 years because it pays them just enough to raise a family.
The only jobs still hiring for years now, the only 'job creation' happening in the US since the wealthy and Wall Street wrecked the economy, are overwhelmingly minimum wage, or slightly above, low paying jobs.

You're right about one thing though, amongst all the talking point parroting in that post, it does not bode well for a country when those are the only jobs available. Particularly, specifically I guess, in our US economy that is over 75% reliant on consumer spending. In our circumstance it's a near death sentence. No one will be buying all the crap the rich are having made by slaves in Asia and elsewhere, when they can hardly keep food on the table and the power on.

We are on a fast track back to the pre-labor movement days in the US, in many ways we are already there.
Old 02-14-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
The only jobs still hiring for years now, the only 'job creation' happening in the US since the wealthy and Wall Street wrecked the economy, are overwhelmingly minimum wage, or slightly above, low paying jobs.
Yup, Walmart & McDonalds are always hiring.

Obama's statement during the state of the union was so lame. He said basicly it's not right that a couple both earning minimum wage can't raise a family.
It don't matter they'll still have kids even if they can't afford it with minimum wage. I once told a co-worker that kids can be very expensive and he said that does not matter, that we should not let that get in the way of fulfilling God's purpose.

My favorite is the minimum wage for New York $7.25/hr.

Last edited by inri222; 02-14-13 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 05:01 PM

Obama's statement during the state of the union was so lame. He said basicly it's not right that a couple both earning minimum wage can't raise a family.
He's right. It's not right.

You're not supposed to live comfortably on minimum wage. You're not supposed to make a career out of minimum wage. You're not supposed to start a family when you make minimum wage.
Says who? You should live as comfortably as you want/can and if you can do that with minimum wage then I don't see a problem.

It's sub-entry level work that you're supposed to move up or out of as fast as you can.
Yes, you should be able to move up but that's not always how it works.

We aren't going to get anywhere in this country if we let people park themselves at a minimum wage job for 35 years because it pays them just enough to raise a family.
What do you care? Someone making minimum wage has very little effect on your life. If someone is happy with what they're doing and what they're getting paid what does it matter to you?
Old 02-14-13, 05:04 PM

We aren't going to get anywhere in this country if we let people park themselves at a minimum wage job for 35 years because it pays them just enough to raise a family.
Also, there's not much that can be done about this. These people working minimum wage are not the problem.
Old 02-14-13, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post

Says who? You should live as comfortably as you want/can and if you can do that with minimum wage then I don't see a problem.

I agree. If a person is happy at minimum wage, that's great. Why then should the government raise the minimum wage?

What do you care? Someone making minimum wage has very little effect on your life. If someone is happy with what they're doing and what they're getting paid what does it matter to you?
If they're happy then why should we increase the minimum wage?

Increasing the minimum wage just encourages people to stay at shit jobs longer. We didn't get to be the great country we are by being content with the limited lifestyle afforded by parking ourselves in a minimum wage job. And that minimum wage shouldn't be increased artificially by our government to make the living standard at minimum wage that much better.
Old 02-14-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where are all these happy people on minimum wage? And encouraging people to stay at "shit" jobs? Who else is going to do them. You?
Old 02-14-13, 06:07 PM

I agree. If a person is happy at minimum wage, that's great. Why then should the government raise the minimum wage?

As the cost of everything else goes up, minimum wage should as well.

Increasing the minimum wage just encourages people to stay at shit jobs longer.
No it doesn't.

We didn't get to be the great country we are by being content with the limited lifestyle afforded by parking ourselves in a minimum wage job.
You seem to have a romanticized idea about how great America is and how it came about being the way it is now.

And that minimum wage shouldn't be increased artificially by our government to make the living standard at minimum wage that much better.
What should be done then?

Every person in this country deserves to at least live somewhat comfortably. I don't understand what you're really getting at here. Why are you against this bump? What do you have to gain?

Just because someone works for minimum wage doesn't mean that they're any less of a person and they deserve to be treated fairly. Judging by your statements made thus far in this thread I'm thinking you don't agree with me here. Seems to me you're looking down on anyone making minimum wage.
Old 02-14-13, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Where are all these happy people on minimum wage? And encouraging people to stay at "shit" jobs? Who else is going to do them. You?
I didn't really mean "happy." I meant people who just are where they are and not much is going to change that so they make the best of it. Some people can't advance so they do what they can with what they've got.
Old 02-14-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Obama really cared about the poor, he and the others crying about how hard times are hurting everyone would ask for $15-17 a hour minimum wage. I'm sure he and the others out there would support it. Why did he stop at $9 and just how is that going to help?

And come to think of it; don't you have to have a job to get that raise? Sort of like getting that Obama Payroll Tax Cut which was going to help out everyone, that everyone just had to have it to make ends meet and help the economy. Apparently it's not that important or deal since it's now a Tax Increase.
Old 02-14-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post

You're right about one thing though, amongst all the talking point parroting in that post, it does not bode well for a country when those are the only jobs available. Particularly, specifically I guess, in our US economy that is over 75% reliant on consumer spending. In our circumstance it's a near death sentence. No one will be buying all the crap the rich are having made by slaves in Asia and elsewhere, when they can hardly keep food on the table and the power on.

We are on a fast track back to the pre-labor movement days in the US, in many ways we are already there.

We're definitely in a Gilded Age right now.
Old 02-14-13, 08:04 PM

The problem is the minimum wage only robs from the middle class. When the minimum wage goes up the middle class usually does not see a comporable increase but business increases prices so the cost of living goes up.

Thats the way I see it. When it went up last did any of you get a raise?
Old 02-14-13, 08:12 PM
Suspended

Do you really think that everyone just decides to work at minimum wage because they're happy about it. Most are forced into that situation by losing a job that paid many times that amount.

Problem is, the min wage and not working, are almost the same, and there is very little incentive to work when you're making shit and can't pay for yourself, let alone a family. And that's not good, because then you and I pay for their fucking rent, car payment, food, and whatever else.
Old 02-14-13, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
The problem is the minimum wage only robs from the middle class. When the minimum wage goes up the middle class usually does not see a comporable increase but business increases prices so the cost of living goes up.

Thats the way I see it. When it went up last did any of you get a raise?
Most businesses would prefer their employees work for free and provide their own healthcare.

Most businesses keep your wage as low as they can and reference political legislation that favors their point of view. They don't care if it's a Democrat agenda or a Republican agenda. As long as it justifies a wage reduction, it's a good thing.

The goal has been for business to reduce their "middle class" and replace it with lower-wage workers for quite sometime.

And then they whine and complain that because they don't get quality workers...they can't justify the higher wage.
Old 02-14-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Most businesses would prefer their employees work for free and provide their own healthcare.

Most businesses keep your wage as low as they can and reference political legislation that favors their point of view. They don't care if it's a Democrat agenda or a Republican agenda. As long as it justifies a wage reduction, it's a good thing.

The goal has been for business to reduce their "middle class" and replace it with lower-wage workers for quite sometime.

And then they whine and complain that because they don't get quality workers...they can't justify the higher wage.
Comedian Bill Hicks referred to America as a "third world consumer plantation" just 20 years ago.

That was some world-class third-eye squeegeeing.
Old 02-14-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I think Congress actually will vote for the $9 part but probably not the peg to inflation part. Think it will happen?
I doubt that either will happen, but I support raising the minimum wage 100%. In fact, I support the establishment of a living wage. Like Obama, I consider this issue a moral one. It is fundamentally demeaning to pay someone less than a living wage for working a full-time job. The employer might as well be saying, "Your time and effort aren't worth a damn." What a slap in the face.

As someone already pointed out, there is NO FREE LUNCH. If the employer won't pay a living wage, then the taxpayer is forced to make up the difference. The taxpayer is forced to pay for low-income workers' food and rent. This arrangement is wonderful for corporations. They keep the workers whose needs they've neglected, and they keep the profits.
Old 02-14-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-14-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No it doesn't.
Well, actually it does, a little. There is no way you can logically state that if a bottom of the barrel job pays more tomorrow than it does today, the impetus for someone currently in that job to move onto something else is at least slightly lessened. The quest to get a larger paycheck is the number one reason why people leave low-paying jobs.

That being said, it is pretty silly to think that increasing the minimum wage only to $9 is going to cause some sort of massive paradigm shift in job satisfaction, vocational stagnation, whatever. And, as it has been pointed out, someone does indeed need to do these jobs and someone will do these jobs.

So the question is, is it unreasonable to tie the minimum wage to the poverty line? Personally, I don't think it is.
Old 02-15-13, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh, too much of a conspiracy view for me.

Companies only want two things. 1. Profit 2. Be around in the future to make more profit.

Companies pay people to meet their business models to meet those goals. They pay (including benefits) to get and keep the best employees for the jobs they need.

Whole Foods may pay more (including benefits) then Wally World. There are obvious reasons for that.

I don't really have a problem raising the min wage. So long as all must do it (large and small business and the government). Though I agree that a MW job should not be a career. It should be a stepping stone, a second job, a job for a person going to school. An entry level position.

This doesn't mean they are "less of a person". Your paying for the job to be done.
Old 02-15-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They pay (including benefits) to get and keep the best employees for the jobs they need.
They pay to maximize their profits for the stockholders. Some cut parts of their expenses to pay their employees more. Most do not.

Costco pays a much higher wage than Sam's Club. Costco gives health insurance to over 80% of it's workforce where Sam's Club less than 50%. Costco only asks their employees to pay 8% of the premium and Sams Clubs asks for 33%. Over 90% of Costco employees have a retirement plan compared to over 60% at Sam's. Walmart contributes half as much to each employees retirement plan as Costco.

Costco is the market leader in that space with 50% of the market.

So, the point is that most companies completely fuck over the rank and file worker and you all happily lap it up thinking it's fantastic. However, look around. You might be shocked at what IS possible.
Old 02-15-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Because of the difference in cost of living by region, I think this should be something taken up by the states.
Old 02-15-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Because of the difference in cost of living by region, I think this should be something taken up by the states.
I've always thought it should be like this. How can it be standard across the country when the cost of living could almost double, depending on where you'e located?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.