Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Help - Name of series of tabletop discussions on politics from 1980s seen on PBS

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Help - Name of series of tabletop discussions on politics from 1980s seen on PBS

Old 02-05-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Years ago I saw several programs that were (I think) filmed in the 1980s that consisted of tabletop/roundtable discussions among people in government, the press, public relations, etc. They were simulating events like a political scandal, a constitutional crisis, etc. and the moderator would get responses from each of the participants to see what they would do next in the narrative. They were really interesting, but I forget what they were called. Google searches are proving to be difficult (I just get pointed to sites about the Sunday talk shows or the McLaughlin Group).

Does anyone know what these were called and where I could watch them again?

Thanks!!
Old 02-05-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Help - Name of series of tabletop discussions on politics from 1980s seen on PBS

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Years ago I saw several programs that were (I think) filmed in the 1980s that consisted of tabletop/roundtable discussions among people in government, the press, public relations, etc. They were simulating events like a political scandal, a constitutional crisis, etc. and the moderator would get responses from each of the participants to see what they would do next in the narrative. They were really interesting, but I forget what they were called. Google searches are proving to be difficult (I just get pointed to sites about the Sunday talk shows or the McLaughlin Group).

Does anyone know what these were called and where I could watch them again?

Thanks!!
It was an Annenberg series called "Ethics in America." It ran on PBS. They did a follow-up about ten years ago called "Ethics in America II" that wasn't as packed with star names.
Old 02-05-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Help - Name of series of tabletop discussions on politics from 1980s seen on PBS

That's it! Thank you so much! PM me your address and I'll send you my prized Articuno as a reward.
Old 02-05-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In case anyone's interested, this series is available to watch free here: http://www.learner.org/resources/series81.html