Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The National Review's fascist slip is showing

Old 01-31-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The National Review's fascist slip is showing

Christ on a cracker

President Obama Commemorates the ‘Senseless’ Holocaust

President Obama issued a statement yesterday to commemorate International Holocaust Remembrance Day. He noted that survivors who bore witness to “the horrors of the cattle cars, ghettos, and concentration camps have witnessed humanity at its very worst and know too well the pain of losing loved ones to senseless violence.” (We noted below how some in Europe chose to mark the day, which takes place each year on January 27, the day Soviet troops liberated Auschwitz.)

<snip>

Nazism may have been an ideology to which the United States was — and to which the president is — implacably opposed, but it is hardly “senseless.” By the early 1930s, the Nazi party had hundreds of thousands of devoted members and repeatedly attracted a third of the votes in German elections; its political leaders campaigned on a platform comprising 25 non-senseless points, including the “unification of all Germans,” a demand for “land and territory for the sustenance of our people,” and an assertion that “no Jew can be a member of the race.” Suffice it to say, many sensible Germans were persuaded.
Anyone care to take a shot at defending this? Democrats and liberals are routinely smeared with the communist label, but I don't recall any of them ever waving their Little Red Books around this blatantly.
Old 01-31-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The National Review's fascist slip is showing

Wait... the username isn't grundle, but otherwise it's a grundle thread.
Old 01-31-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course it wasn't senseless. I think this is where some liberal and some conservative mindsets diverge. When you don't believe in evil and free will, I guess then you have to imagine that all atrocities and inhumanities are "senseless" and done by "madmen".
Old 01-31-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Wait... the username isn't grundle, but otherwise it's a grundle thread.
Old 01-31-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Suffice it to say, many sensible Germans were persuaded.
And many sensible Americans, too.

As well as many sensible Parisians, Italians, and so forth.

The article is another blabber piece. Obviously, The BIG H has limitless expression, so anyone making a comment about it could be criticized. In other words, there really is NOT a correct statement for The Holocaust. Either you say too little, or you say too much and don't comprehend it.

And Obama's statement is another blabber piece, which happens every year around this time by various politicians from both political parties.

How about we celebrate the Germans who actually died during this time as well, who were against Nazi Occupation. Don't hear much about them, and I also notice a lot of anti-German behavior to this day, much akin to blaming my White Ass for Slavery over 100 years ago. And I'm German as well, so the "Guilt by association" is even better.

Hell, I even feel guilty for even WANTING to own a VW GTI. WTF is up with that.

Well, it's thanks to Political Correctness.
Old 01-31-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
And many sensible Americans, too.

As well as many sensible Parisians, Italians, and so forth.

The article is another blabber piece. Obviously, The BIG H has limitless expression, so anyone making a comment about it could be criticized. In other words, there really is NOT a correct statement for The Holocaust. Either you say too little, or you say too much and don't comprehend it.

And Obama's statement is another blabber piece, which happens every year around this time by various politicians from both political parties.

How about we celebrate the Germans who actually died during this time as well, who were against Nazi Occupation. Don't hear much about them, and I also notice a lot of anti-German behavior to this day, much akin to blaming my White Ass for Slavery over 100 years ago. And I'm German as well, so the "Guilt by association" is even better.

Hell, I even feel guilty for even WANTING to own a VW GTI. WTF is up with that.

Well, it's thanks to Political Correctness.
I'm sure there were lots of Germans who were against the Nazi Occupation. After all, by 1946 it turned out that every man, woman, and child in France had been active in the Resistance to the Vichy government.

I have a German last name, and I've been called a Nazi because of it. I'm sure that it's happened to everyone of German extraction. Get over it.
Old 01-31-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never knew Danger was a German name. Cool.
Old 01-31-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I really have no idea what the author of that piece is trying to say.

Do they let just any halfwit write for the National Review now? Buckley must be spinning in his grave.
Old 01-31-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I really have no idea what the author of that piece is trying to say.
Why is it so hard to understand? Obama condemns the Holocaust, but since everything Obama does is wrong and must be vigorously opposed, he must not have condemned it correctly. If Obama is seen drinking a Coke, NRO will have a piece up within minutes, extolling the virtues of Pepsi. Only deluded leftists drink Coke. Unless he's actually drinking Pepsi, in which case Find/Replace!

Maybe I'm idealizing a past that never was, but my impression is that the National Review used to be the magazine of record for literate conservatives. In the past few years, it's become the written version of Fox News. (In fact, the writer of that slop is apparently a segment producer for Hannity.)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Do they let just any halfwit write for the National Review now? Buckley must be spinning in his grave.
Yeah, pretty much.
Old 01-31-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the early 1930s, the Nazi party had hundreds of thousands of devoted members and repeatedly attracted a third of the votes in German elections; its political leaders campaigned on a platform comprising 25 non-senseless points, including the “unification of all Germans,” a demand for “land and territory for the sustenance of our people,” and an assertion that “no Jew can be a member of the race.”
So now the National Review is supporting Hagel?
Old 01-31-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More like Hegel.
Old 02-01-13, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Why is it so hard to understand? Obama condemns the Holocaust, but since everything Obama does is wrong and must be vigorously opposed, he must not have condemned it correctly.
+1. This is, at the very best, petty nitpicking.

The author seems to be using the same logic that is used when people criticize politicians for saying Islamic extremists commit terrorist acts because they "hate freedom", except at least in that case you can argue that such rhetoric damages the ongoing process of understanding and dealing with Islamic extremism. With Nazism such an argument is mostly academic.

While it is important to remember the rational motivations and circumstances behind the Nazi movement and holocaust, to make the absence of such reflection the basis of an attack on a holocaust remembrance statement is absurd.
Old 02-01-13, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I for one applaud Obama for coming out against the Holocaust. He didn't win that Nobel Peace Prize for nothing!
Old 02-01-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ronald Reagan
"Those who perished as a result of Nazi terror, millions of individual men and women and children whose lives were taken so senselessly, must never be forgotten."
Remarks at a White House Meeting With Jewish Leaders, February 2, 1983

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archive...983/20283b.htm

Ronald Reagan: Another president who just didn't get that the Nazis were perfectly sensible. How the writers of NRO must hate him!
Old 02-01-13, 07:46 AM

To be fair, a lot of what Reagan said and did would have him drummed out of today's GOP.

The most surprising thing about all of this is the comments section of the article. Several reasonable responses at the top.
Old 02-01-13, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
To be fair, a lot of what Reagan said and did would have him drummed out of today's GOP.

The most surprising thing about all of this is the comments section of the article. Several reasonable responses at the top.
This one was my favorite:

There should be a point where you step back and take a look at where life has taken you and say, "I am defending Nazis against a black man."

And then you begin to weep. Ideally.
Old 02-01-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would rather not read the article. I don't see how the bolded part is saying it wasn't senseless violence.
Old 02-01-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
How about we celebrate the Germans who actually died during this time as well, who were against Nazi Occupation. Don't hear much about them,
Every general history of WWII and Nazi Germany I've ever read has mentioned them, and there are numerous books written about them, not to mention a major Hollywood film starring Tom Cruise.

But here's the thing -- there were few of them, they were ineffective, and being anti-Nazi didn't make them good guys. The Stauffenberg conspiracy, for instance, only wanted to bring down Hitler so they could replace him with a competent military dictatorship that could win the war, while the largest resistance groups in Germany were aligned with the Soviets.
Old 02-01-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The nazis were in power for 12 years. Germans did stuff before and after that period.
Old 02-01-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
The nazis were in power for 12 years. Germans did stuff before and after that period.
Quite surprising that President Obama didn't take the opportunity to use Holocaust Rememberance Day to talk about Johann Sebastian Bach, Herman Hesse, and F.W. Murnau. I'm hoping next years he gives a talk entitled "Six million dead Jews is a fair trade for Schmeling-Louis fight."
Old 02-01-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Quite surprising that President Obama didn't take the opportunity to use Holocaust Rememberance Day to talk about Johann Sebastian Bach, Herman Hesse, and F.W. Murnau. I'm hoping next years he gives a talk entitled "Six million dead Jews is a fair trade for Schmeling-Louis fight."
I think it was pretty obvious I was not refering to Obama at all. Why would I be on topic?
Old 02-01-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was pretty obvious I was not refering to Obama at all. Why would I be on topic?
Mea culpa. Or, to be relevant, meine schuld. I forgot about Nick telling us about getting harassed for having a German name, so I just associated your post with the original nontroversy. Sorry for the senseless (or, as NRO would describe it, quite sensible) snark.
Old 02-03-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeah, I got a laugh out of this one...

What led to this travesty? Did the conversation go something like this?

"Obama thinks Nazi violence against Jews was senseless... do we have an angle on this?"

"Uhh... defend... the Nazis?"

"Better than nothing. Have it on my desk by ten."
Old 02-04-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Yeah, I got a laugh out of this one...
Old 02-04-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Germans did stuff before and after that period.
Goddamn right

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.