Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 07-27-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: (great Pence?)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, he has to be hiding something. Trump is a guy who condtantly boasts and brags about his wealth, I really can't imagine Mr. Birth Certificate refusing to release his own papers.

A. He's in debt up to his ass to Russia.
B. He's exaggerating his wealth.
C. He has ties to organized crime.
D. He's lying about his charitable donations. (Has he even claimed he made any? The guy's so full of shit we might as wel be talking about Bill Brassky.)
I think it was Donald Jr. who said that Trump had made YUUUGE donations to his foundation and other charities, but always anonymously because "that's who he is." So we're supposed to believe that he doesn't want either the credit or the tax writeoff. Sounds like bad business to me.
Old 07-27-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread - what the hell, let Putin decide

He did it anonymously because he didn't want to draw any attention to himself.
Old 07-27-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Newt Gingrich: His urine stream is SO strong, it can cut through an uncooked steak!

Chris Christie: I ATE that steak!
Old 07-28-16, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-28-16, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, he has to be hiding something. Trump is a guy who condtantly boasts and brags about his wealth, I really can't imagine Mr. Birth Certificate refusing to release his own papers.

A. He's in debt up to his ass to Russia.
B. He's exaggerating his wealth.
C. He has ties to organized crime.
D. He's lying about his charitable donations. (Has he even claimed he made any? The guy's so full of shit we might as wel be talking about Bill Brassky.)

Bill Brassky didn't run for president. He just went to the White House and said "Get me a scotch and the nuclear codes"
Old 07-28-16, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump controls the news cycle yet again. He makes an outrageous statement, and then backpedals. It's the week of the DNC, but we're talking about Trump and Russia.

He probably has a notebook full of outrageous statements he's ready to drop on us.
Old 07-28-16, 06:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
And people here who I may disagree with, like creekdipper or grundle or whoever are also nice people.
Heresy!
Old 07-28-16, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
I get your point and and I agree.

While I have several issues that concern me in this election I do happen to think the SCOTUS appointments are an important issue. This election cycle is probably the last chance we'll have in my lifetime to move the court from right to left and I think that would be a positive.
Having missed most of the discussion yesterday due to funeral arrangements, just wanted to comment that this is one of the most important points in this election, IMO.

It's the most powerful argument to persuade "Never Trump" conservatives who can't stand him. The biggest problem in using that argument is convincing such a voter that Trump will actually do what he says, or even care about it. Probably their best hope would be that he cares so little that he'd just leave the picks up to conservative advisors who drew up the list for him.
Old 07-28-16, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Trump controls the news cycle yet again. He makes an outrageous statement, and then backpedals. It's the week of the DNC, but we're talking about Trump and Russia.

He probably has a notebook full of outrageous statements he's ready to drop on us.
Panelist on the Today Show said the same thing this morning. Anything to grab a headline during DNC week.
Old 07-28-16, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Even more mind-boggling; very few seem to give a fuck.
People don't give a fuck about national security any more because they don't understand it. It's all about random acts of violence on the west by lost souls clinging to ISIS as their moral support. Screw everything else. What percentage of people know what Crimea is?
Old 07-28-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
That is definitely the face of somebody who's had his finger up Trump's ass.
While the picture was being taken
Old 07-28-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Panelist on the Today Show said the same thing this morning. Anything to grab a headline during DNC week.
But it keeps working -
Old 07-28-16, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Is that what he was doing? Really?
Yes, that's why anyone with any clout in national security was shocked and appalled by the statement.
Old 07-28-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What the email said was "Attached is a script for a new video we'd like to use to mop up some more taco bowl engagement, and demonstrate that Trump isn't actually trying."

In other words, it was a reference to getting the voters to focus on Trump's Cinqo de Mayo message about how he's not anti-Latino because he loves eating taco bowls at Trump Tower.
Wait, you got that before it went through the Rush Limbaugh truth-bullshit translator? He heard it on the "radio", it must be true!
Old 07-28-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
"We, the media, are giving Trump all the air time because of his outrageous statements and now we're complaining about it, which is really just giving him more attention."

I don't think he is smart enough to be playing them (though it seems like he claimed he could well before he ran), but it is sad to see how they all just chase bullshit to try to be the first with a story and can't seem to control themselves, and then have the balls to bitch about it.
Old 07-28-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Why is Obama wearing Trump's shirt? Yo, O, you're a size medium, dude.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-28-16 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-28-16, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I think it was Donald Jr. who said that Trump had made YUUUGE donations to his foundation and other charities, but always anonymously because "that's who he is." So we're supposed to believe that he doesn't want either the credit or the tax writeoff. Sounds like bad business to me.

Charity is bad business. Unless it is the Clinton charity, then it brings in money from Russians, Saudis, and all kinds of people we're going to be tough on.
Old 07-28-16, 09:15 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think that the Clinton Foundation claims to be a charity. I keep seeing how they are compared to the Red Cross or similar organizations on how much they spend on donations, but that's not what they are.
Old 07-28-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Why is Obama wearing Trump's shirt? Yo, O, you're a size medium, dude.
One day ve vill all be wearing Trump's shirt. But it will not be white.
Old 07-28-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I don't think that the Clinton Foundation claims to be a charity. I keep seeing how they are compared to the Red Cross or similar organizations on how much they spend on donations, but that's not what they are.
It is a non profit corporation. It is like the old trusts but given different names. It is a way to move money around to your friends, receive money tax free (generally saving 40% or more to the giver) while spending upwards of 10% of it on the foundations grand ideas. It's like a church getting tax deductible money and using it to spread the word of God. Personally, I don't think either should be tax exempt. It's a sham, just like all the other scams to get out of taxes, whether it be setting up your own church/religion, or just taking in money to launder for Islamic extremists.

And lots of rich fucks have them. Once you really get good, you are just donating to others so they can donate to you. Nice tax savings, and a good way to keep people loyal to you. A 6 figure board position that may require 40 hours a year is pretty sweet. Think of it like those International committees on the poor who all take private planes to conferences and waste more than you'll make in a year while they are attending. It allows them to look like they give a fuck.
Old 07-28-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

Binders full of outrageous statements.
Old 07-28-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
They do claim to be a charity and are a charity. They have a different model than a lot of charities though, and that confuses attempts to compare them to other charities.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/06/whe...tion-money-go/
Old 07-28-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Trump thought Tim Kaine was Tom Kean, and said he was a Terrible Governor for NJ and still unpopular among the people in his state.

Old 07-28-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Trump thought Tim Kaine was Tom Kean, and said he was a Terrible Governor for NJ and still unpopular among the people in his state.

Silly Trump!

Still, it is amazing that we live in a world where the guy who starred in Hogan's Heroes goes on to become a Governor, a Senator, and a VP nominee.
Old 07-28-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Clinton camp laughs off questions about press conference blackout
PHILADELPHIA — Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager can’t guarantee that the Democratic presidential nominee will hold a press conference between now and the presidential election and laughed off questions about why she doesn’t gather with reporters.

Speaking at a luncheon hosted by The Wall Street Journal, campaign manager Robby Mook burst out laughing when asked if Clinton would hold court with members of the media before Election Day.

“We’ll see,” he said.

Clinton has still not held a press conference this year.

According to a count by The Washington Post, it has been more than 230 days since Clinton last held one — Dec. 4, 2015.

When Washington Post editorial board editor Ruth Marcus asked if the press conference blackout would continue into a Clinton administration, Mook again laughed it off.
Clinton's Republican rival, Donald Trump, criticized the media earlier Wednesday for failing to push Clinton to have press conferences.

"It's been 235 days since Crooked Hillary Clinton has had a press conference and you as reporters who give her all these glowing reports should ask yourselves why. I'll tell you why: Despite the nice platitudes, she's been a mess," Trump said.
The most transparent.... Sorry. I know some of you buy that.

Personally, I think she isn't holding press conferences (and won't) because it will become obvious that she has had a stroke.

"Well, it — it is — you know, a lot of as you at the Republican convention -- unfounded, inaccurate, mean-spirited attacks with no basis in truth — reality, which take on a life of their own. And for whatever reasons — and I don't want to try to analyze the reasons. I — I see it. I understand it. People are very willing to say things about me, to make accusations about me that are — I don't get upset about them anymore, but they are very regrettable." - Hillary Clinton

That wasn't an approved question. Fortunately, debates don't actually get answers to their questions, just speeches.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.