Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 07-27-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread - what the hell, let Putin decide

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
You know what the N-word is, right?[/B]
Nyet
Old 07-27-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Surprised no ones mentioned this plum

In a bizarre aside, Trump then seemed to go onto say that Putin uses racial epithets, which Trump implied meant that he didnt respect President Barack Obama.

Right now we don't have a good relationship. Putin has said things over the last year that are really bad things, Trump said. He mentioned the N-word one time. I was shocked to hear him mention the N-word. You know what the N-word is, right? He mentioned it. I was shocked.

He has a total lack of respect for President Obama. No. 1, he doesn't like him and No. 2, he doesn't respect him. I think hes going to respect your president if I'm elected and I think hell like me. (Update, July 27, 2:30 p.m.: Others have noted that Trump might have been using the "N-word" to mean "nuclear." As the Washington Post has noted, there is not much information online to clarify what Trump may have meant, or if Putin used either a racial epithet or "nuclear" and in what context.)
It is hard to imagine anyone speaking so poorly.

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I would argue they were both treasonous.
I think it is a poke in the eye to someone who is using the Russians to keep the attention away from the corruptness of the DNC during their convention. That isn't to say I agree with it. It may have some similarities to treason in some remote way, but it sure as hell doesn't reach the Hillary Standard.

I do find it amazing how there can be a huge email document dump and the Democrat faithful are running around warning "the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming," and don't give a shit about what the emails actually show. Apparently the DNC was correct that the fear of the Russians could take away the focus from their corrupt behavior.
Old 07-27-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I think it is a poke in the eye to someone who is using the Russians to keep the attention away from the corruptness of the DNC during their convention.
Why? I for one have always thought Ted Kennedy was drunken asshole and murderer. Being treasonous too does very little to lower my opinion of him.

But Ted Kennedy is dead and rotting in hell with Robert Byrd and Strom Thurmond. He has nothing to do with the current election.
Old 07-27-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do find it amazing how there can be a huge email document dump and the Democrat faithful are running around warning "the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming," and don't give a shit about what the emails actually show.
Because they don't "actually show" anything of any significance. Political douchebaggery, sure, but nothing out of the pale.
Old 07-27-16, 03:54 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I'm no Trump fan, but Trump's statement was just a flippant comment from a loudmouthed dimwit.

Ted Kennedy's was straight-up treason:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/ted...-robinson.html
That's the thing, Trump doesn't even realize the magnitude of what he said. How can he be trusted to handle sensitive diplomatic situations, to lead our armed forces?

To be clear, whether he meant it or not, whether he knew it or not, a presidential candidate has called upon a foreign country to illegally interfere on his behalf against another presidential candidate. If there were any sense of sanity in this election--and there isn't--this would be the end of the line for Trump. If Hillary had said something ten times less outrageous, Republicans would be calling for her head.

Do not hand wave this away. It's significant.

I think it is a poke in the eye to someone who is using the Russians to keep the attention away from the corruptness of the DNC during their convention. That isn't to say I agree with it. It may have some similarities to treason in some remote way, but it sure as hell doesn't reach the Hillary Standard.
When you say this doesn't reach the Hillary standard, what exactly do you mean?
Old 07-27-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously how dumb is Trump? (it's a rethorical question)

The Republicans could have just kept hammering the Democrats with the "they're just using this Russia conspiracy theory to take attention away from the leaks". And then Trump says "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing", opening the path for Democrats to push back.
Old 07-27-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: (great Pence?)

I've come to the conclusion that anyone supporting Trump at this point is bereft of morals, a conscience, or anything else beyond blind partisan loyalty.
This can literally, without hyperbole, be said of either candidate and the voters this year

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
This is a national security issue regardless of the content of any of the emails. This is a national security issue because a presidential candidate has just encouraged a foreign government to interfere with our elections. Think about that.
Yeah, cause the United States hasn't been interfering in the elections of foreign governments at all in the last 50 years.
(and, no I don't have any immediate examples, or evidence....but I'm fairly confident in the above statement).
Old 07-27-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
When you say this doesn't reach the Hillary standard, what exactly do you mean?
I think Hillary explained it best.

Well, it it is you know, a lot of as you at the Republican convention -- unfounded, inaccurate, mean-spirited attacks with no basis in truth reality, which take on a life of their own. And for whatever reasons and I don't want to try to analyze the reasons. I I see it. I understand it. People are very willing to say things about me, to make accusations about me that are I don't get upset about them anymore, but they are very regrettable.
Keeping in mind she isn't very sophisticated, I believe she is trying to articulate that people hold her to a higher standard than others. However, there doesn't actually appear to be a standard that she is held to, unless it is the standard of "morally questionable and unethical, but not illegal." That seems to be the actual Hillary standard.
Old 07-27-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: (great Pence?)

What do you consider recent history? Nixon appointed Harry Blackmun, who wrote the Roe v. Wade decision. But I think from Reagan onwards your argument holds a lot of water.
Not Nixon. That predates my ability to vote by many years. YMMV.
Old 07-27-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard on the radio today they were referring to the DNC emails and apparently someone called the Hispanic or Latino group the "Taco Bell contingent." Anyone else hear that? I'm sure it will be excused away but I would think that if someone from the RNC said that it would be shouted from the highest rooftops.
Old 07-27-16, 05:13 PM
Banned by request

I think Hillary explained it best.

Keeping in mind she isn't very sophisticated, I believe she is trying to articulate that people hold her to a higher standard than others. However, there doesn't actually appear to be a standard that she is held to, unless it is the standard of "morally questionable and unethical, but not illegal." That seems to be the actual Hillary standard.
So when you say that Trump's actions don't reach the Hillary standard, what do you mean?
Old 07-27-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the thing, Trump doesn't even realize the magnitude of what he said. How can he be trusted to handle sensitive diplomatic situations, to lead our armed forces?

To be clear, whether he meant it or not, whether he knew it or not, a presidential candidate has called upon a foreign country to illegally interfere on his behalf against another presidential candidate. If there were any sense of sanity in this election--and there isn't--this would be the end of the line for Trump. If Hillary had said something ten times less outrageous, Republicans would be calling for her head.

Do not hand wave this away. It's significant.
You're acting as if this is some final straw that should "wake people up." Haven't you been following along? He's said about 500 things in the past 6 months that should disqualify him from being president.
Old 07-27-16, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

I already acknowledged that sanity left this election long ago.

When I said this was significant, I didn't mean that it would make his supporters dump him. But to wave it away and say "Trump will be Trump" and on top of it try to point out something more outrageous said by someone not even participating in the election because they are dead is a deflection, and not even a good one.
Old 07-27-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
You're acting as if this is some final straw that should "wake people up." Haven't you been following along? He's said about 500 things in the past 6 months that should disqualify him from being president.
You know.. I just have to say it's so funny how I agree with this. I think half the people on here say something like "I can't believe Trump did that!!" and then they jump up, hit their head on the bookshelf or something, lose their memory, and then post "I can't believe Trump did that!!".

Like the Trump of today is any different than the Trump of a year ago.
Old 07-27-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Donald Trump today:

"He said one nice thing about me. He said I'm a genius. I said thank you very much to the newspaper and that was the end of it. I never met Putin."

Donald Trump in a GOP debate in November:

"Igot to know [Putin] very well because we were both on '60 Minutes,' we were stablemates, and we did very well that night."

Donald Trump at the National Press Club in 2014:

"I spoke indirectly and directly with President Putin, who could not have been nicer. We had tremendous success."
Old 07-27-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So when you say that Trump's actions don't reach the Hillary standard, what do you mean?
I'm guessing it means something like "I've had an irrational hatred of Hillary Clinton for 25 years, since I was a young Republican, and I'm not about to change now!"
Old 07-27-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

The Hillary standard is not technically illegal. My guess is we won't see charges against Trump for treason.
Old 07-27-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm guessing it means something like "I've had an irrational hatred of Hillary Clinton for 25 years, since I was a young Republican, and I'm not about to change now!"
I'm holding Trump to the same impossibly high standard you do. "Well, it wasn't illegal, and it was just lying, and maybe it was unethical, but it wasn't illegal."

I'm guessing you don't actually want the same standard applied.
Old 07-27-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I heard on the radio today they were referring to the DNC emails and apparently someone called the Hispanic or Latino group the "Taco Bell contingent." Anyone else hear that? I'm sure it will be excused away but I would think that if someone from the RNC said that it would be shouted from the highest rooftops.
What the email said was "Attached is a script for a new video we'd like to use to mop up some more taco bowl engagement, and demonstrate that Trump isn't actually trying."

In other words, it was a reference to getting the voters to focus on Trump's Cinqo de Mayo message about how he's not anti-Latino because he loves eating taco bowls at Trump Tower.
Old 07-27-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
http://www.valleynewslive.com/conten...388081582.html

Taco Bowl engagement. But Democrats only get to scream racism when others do it. When they do it, like Hillary referring to convenience store clerks as Gandhi, then it was just a misunderstanding. Looks like they are trying to spin it as not racial and not bad. I'm guessing all Hillbots will agree and go out to social media to repeat it. Let's hope they get their before the paid Hillary drones.
Old 07-27-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm holding Trump to the same impossibly high standard you do. "Well, it wasn't illegal, and it was just lying, and maybe it was unethical, but it wasn't illegal."

I'm guessing you don't actually want the same standard applied.
If he was actually involved in hacking the DNC's emails, it actually is illegal.

For the record, I don't think Trump has done anything illegal, though his statements today come a lot closer than anything Hillary did with her email server.
Old 07-27-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

In other words, it was a reference to getting the voters to focus on Trump's Cinqo de Mayo message about how he's not anti-Latino because he loves eating taco bowls at Trump Tower.

Yeah, I think they were worried they were losing the Hispanic vote.

I knew this could be defended.
Old 07-27-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Taco Bowl engagement. But Democrats only get to scream racism when others do it. When they do it, like Hillary referring to convenience store clerks as Gandhi, then it was just a misunderstanding. Looks like they are trying to spin it as not racial and not bad. I'm guessing all Hillbots will agree and go out to social media to repeat it. Let's hope they get their before the paid Hillary drones.
The email was sent the day after Trumps taco bowl photo op. It was simply an email about their use of that.

The email, from DNC digital official and Obama campaign veteran Rebecca Christopher, reads:

Hi everyone,

Attached is a script for a new video wed like to use to mop up some more taco bowl engagement, and demonstrate the Trump actually isnt trying.

Let me know if you have any flags and thank you!

The day before, Republican frontrunner (and eventual nominee) Donald Trump had tweeted a message for Cinco De Mayo, in which he posed at his desk in the Trump Tower eating a taco bowl:
Old 07-27-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

North Dakota Valley News? Why hasn't FoxNews picked up on this explosive scoop if it's for real?
Old 07-27-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

If he was actually involved in hacking the DNC's emails, it actually is illegal.

For the record, I don't think Trump has done anything illegal, though his statements today come a lot closer than anything Hillary did with her email server.
I'd say telling a person to strip the headers, turn into non-paper and send a classified document to her via unsecured means is actually worse. She is just lucky there wasn't confirmation that her illegal act was followed through with. Well, and she is lucky enough that they determined she's too fucking stupid to know better.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.