Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 07-26-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: (great Pence?)

If Trump apologized, he'd lose almost every supporter he has.
Old 07-26-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Any business that behaved that high handedly in real life would quickly find itself on the verge of bankruptcy. There's no way a major company could be managed that incompetently unless its owner was some talentless moron whose daddy bought the business for ... oh.
Many are big enough that it doesn't really matter what they do. Comcast is a pretty simple example. They don't appear to be going broke.
Old 07-26-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This made me laugh - it coalesces everything good and bad about Hillary:

Let Me Remind You Fuckers Who I Am

by Hillary Clinton

What the fuck is your problem, America??

I’m Hillary goddamn Clinton. I’m a political prodigy, have been since I was 16. I have an insane network of powerful friends. I’m willing to spend the next eight years catching shit on all sides, all so I can fix this fucking country for you. And all you little bitches need to do is get off your asses one goddamn day in November.

“Oh but what about your eeeemaaaaillls???” Shut the fuck up. Seriously, shut the fuck up and listen for one fucking second.

[read the rest here]
Old 07-26-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The holier than thou oligarch has spoken, bow down and kiss her hand. She's here to save us stupid peasants from ourselves.
Old 07-26-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
The holier than thou oligarch has spoken, bow down and kiss her hand. She's here to save us stupid peasants from ourselves.
Welp, it's Clinton or Trump. If wishes were horses, Sanders would ride. No one else is going to come close to winning, no matter how much wishing we all do. This is it. And I prefer Clinton over Trump.
Old 07-26-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Welp, it's Clinton or Trump. If wishes were horses, Sanders would ride. No one else is going to come close to winning, no matter how much wishing we all do. This is it. And I prefer Clinton over Trump.
I prefer Cersei over Ramsey. Doesn't mean I have to root for her.
Old 07-26-16, 01:33 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
Does...does that mean that Sanders is Danaerys?

Old 07-26-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
That's actually a good comparison

I'd pick Cersei too.
Old 07-26-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

George (does anyone take me seriously) Will is saying that Trump won't release his taxes because they'll reveal his connection to Russian oligarchs.
Old 07-26-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
This made me laugh - it coalesces everything good and bad about Hillary:
Funny read, but going to have to call bs on this part -

"Most of you have no goddamn idea what it takes to run a country. I mean god damn, almost half of you think God created the Earth 10,000 years ago! What the actual fuck????"
Old 07-26-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Funny read, but going to have to call bs on this part -

"Most of you have no goddamn idea what it takes to run a country. I mean god damn, almost half of you think God created the Earth 10,000 years ago! What the actual fuck????"
Yeah what a load of crap, it's actually closer to 6,000 years.
Old 07-27-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
What they're really saying :

We're sorry we got caught, but let this be a warning for anyone who's not an establishment Democrat that tries to run.
It's as if Hillary Rodham Clinton wasn't anointed the nominee in 2016 the day she conceded to Obama. HRC owned Bernie in all the big states that matter. It would have been that way with our without DNC meddling. But, as we've seen, the election of nominees is party business and the primaries are a show. When they stop being party business, you end up with dangerous neophytes like Donald Trump.

Bernie had numerous options. He could run on the Green Party ticket to say fuck you to HRC. He could run an as independent. But he isn't and he won't because he's more of an adult than the whiny millennials shedding tears for "dad". He knows HE crashed the Democratic party. He knows that HRC is good for America in the face of Donald fucking Trump. I see the issue here as political youngsters having no idea who HRC is other than the caricature perpetuated on social media that grew out of Bernie's own Wall St sycophant talk. They eschew HRC's impact on gender equality and female empowerment dating back decades before these nitwits were born. They really piss me the fuck off. What is this? Mr. Robot?

Last edited by CRM114; 07-27-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-27-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DNC Charter and Bylaws

...the Chairperson shall exercise impartiality and evenhandedness as between the Presidential candidates and campaigns. The Chairperson shall be responsible for ensuring that the national officers and staff of the Democratic National Committee maintain impartiality and evenhandedness during the Democratic Party Presidential nominating process.
Old 07-27-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm all for the Democrats reforming the nominating process.

1. Replace all Caucuses with Primaries. Primaries result in more party members participating in the selection process which is always a good thing.

2. Close all the primaries. If you can't make the simply effort to declare for a party you shouldn't be allowed to participate in that parties nominating process.
Old 07-27-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
I'm all for the Democrats reforming the nominating process.

1. Replace all Caucuses with Primaries. Primaries result in more party members participating in the selection process which is always a good thing.

2. Close all the primaries. If you can't make the simply effort to declare for a party you shouldn't be allowed to participate in that parties nominating process.
3. Candidates must be have been registered with the party for the last "x" years. If the primaries are going to be closed to registered Democrats, how about making sure the candidates have been too?

The Republicans could've benefited from those rules as well.
Old 07-27-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, because then I won't have to see or hear these ridiculous teary-eyed millennials blabbering about the DNC taking over THEIR party.
Old 07-27-16, 10:45 AM
Banned

One doesn't have to be a (Bill) Clinton supporter to envy the political sway & power implied when hearing the phrase,

"Let the Big Dog out to hunt."

Cue Chris Matthews leg thrill.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-27-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-27-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yes, because then I won't have to see or hear these ridiculous teary-eyed millennials blabbering about the DNC taking over THEIR party.
like those who claim, "I've been a NY Mets fan my entire life (but kept that hidden from everyone until they were in the post-season)"
Old 07-27-16, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
3. Candidates must be have been registered with the party for the last "x" years. If the primaries are going to be closed to registered Democrats, how about making sure the candidates have been too?

The Republicans could've benefited from those rules as well.
Very much this.

Sanders campaign was little more than an attempt at a hostile takeover of a political party, yet his supporters seem blind to that fact, and therefore got diaper rash once the Democratic Party fought against it.
Old 07-27-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
HRC owned Bernie in all the big states that matter. It would have been that way with our without DNC meddling.
"We cheat even though we don't have to. That's how strong we are."

Fuck.

The Hillary Standard.
Old 07-27-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Very much this.

Sanders campaign was little more than an attempt at a hostile takeover of a political party, yet his supporters seem blind to that fact, and therefore got diaper rash once the Democratic Party fought against it.
And *this*.

And also (although I'm sure Jonathan Rauch's article has already been linked here, it's so well said that it bears repeating again and again):

Using polls and focus groups, Hibbing and Theiss-Morse found that between 25 and 40 percent of Americans (depending on how one measures) have a severely distorted view of how government and politics are supposed to work. I think of these people as “politiphobes,” because they see the contentious give-and-take of politics as unnecessary and distasteful. Specifically, they believe that obvious, commonsense solutions to the country’s problems are out there for the plucking. The reason these obvious solutions are not enacted is that politicians are corrupt, or self-interested, or addicted to unnecessary partisan feuding. Not surprisingly, politiphobes think the obvious, commonsense solutions are the sorts of solutions that they themselves prefer. But the more important point is that they do not acknowledge that meaningful policy disagreement even exists. From that premise, they conclude that all the arguing and partisanship and horse-trading that go on in American politics are entirely unnecessary. Politicians could easily solve all our problems if they would only set aside their craven personal agendas.

If politicians won’t do the job, then who will? Politiphobes, according to Hibbing and Theiss-Morse, believe policy should be made not by messy political conflict and negotiations but by ENSIDS: empathetic, non-self-interested decision makers. These are leaders who will step forward, cast aside cowardly politicians and venal special interests, and implement long-overdue solutions. ENSIDS can be politicians, technocrats, or autocrats—whatever works.
Old 07-27-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
George (does anyone take me seriously) Will is saying that Trump won't release his taxes because they'll reveal his connection to Russian oligarchs.
That's what Josh Marshall thinks, too.

Let's start with the basic facts. There is a lot of Russian money flowing into Trump's coffers and he is conspicuously solicitous of Russian foreign policy priorities.

I'll list off some facts.

1. All the other discussions of Trump's finances aside, his debt load has grown dramatically over the last year, from $350 million to $630 million. This is in just one year while his liquid assets have also decreased. Trump has been blackballed by all major US banks.

2. Post-bankruptcy Trump has been highly reliant on money from Russia, most of which has over the years become increasingly concentrated among oligarchs and sub-garchs close to Vladimir Putin. Here's a good overview from The Washington Post, with one morsel for illustration ...

Since the 1980s, Trump and his family members have made numerous trips to Moscow in search of business opportunities, and they have relied on Russian investors to buy their properties around the world.

“Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” Trump’s son, Donald Jr., told a real estate conference in 2008, according to an account posted on the website of eTurboNews, a trade publication. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”
3. One example of this is the Trump Soho development in Manhattan, one of Trump's largest recent endeavors. The project was the hit with a series of lawsuits in response to some typically Trumpian efforts to defraud investors by making fraudulent claims about the financial health of the project. Emerging out of that litigation however was news about secret financing for the project from Russia and Kazakhstan. Most attention about the project has focused on the presence of a twice imprisoned Russian immigrant with extensive ties to the Russian criminal underworld. But that's not the most salient part of the story. As the Times put it,

"Mr. Lauria brokered a $50 million investment in Trump SoHo and three other Bayrock projects by an Icelandic firm preferred by wealthy Russians “in favor with” President Vladimir V. Putin, according to a lawsuit against Bayrock by one of its former executives. The Icelandic company, FL Group, was identified in a Bayrock investor presentation as a “strategic partner,” along with Alexander Mashkevich, a billionaire once charged in a corruption case involving fees paid by a Belgian company seeking business in Kazakhstan; that case was settled with no admission of guilt."
Another suit alleged the project "occasionally received unexplained infusions of cash from accounts in Kazakhstan and Russia."

Sounds completely legit.

Read both articles: After his bankruptcy and business failures roughly a decade ago Trump has had an increasingly difficult time finding sources of capital for new investments. As I noted above, Trump has been blackballed by all major US banks with the exception of Deutschebank, which is of course a foreign bank with a major US presence. He has steadied and rebuilt his financial empire with a heavy reliance on capital from Russia. At a minimum the Trump organization is receiving lots of investment capital from people close to Vladimir Putin.

Trump's tax returns would likely clarify the depth of his connections to and dependence on Russian capital aligned with Putin. And in case you're keeping score at home: no, that's not reassuring.
Trump's response is interesting.

"In order to try and deflect the horror and stupidity of the Wikileakes disaster, the Dems said maybe it is Russia dealing with Trump. Crazy!" Trump tweeted. "For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia."
This is a classic example of a non-denial denial. Nobody's accusing Trump of having investments in Russia. They're saying Russians have investments in him.
Old 07-27-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"In order to try and deflect the horror and stupidity of the Wikileakes disaster, the Dems said maybe it is Russia dealing with Trump. Crazy!" Trump tweeted. "For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia."
Like we'd know - he never released his tax returns.
Old 07-27-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know, but I have heard, and people are talking that the reason he won't release his taxes is that he has greatly exaggerated his wealth.
Old 07-27-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So TRUMP has asked Russia and other foreign parties to find Hillary's emails. This is is espionage, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...on.html?ref=gs

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 07-27-16 at 12:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.