Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2016 Presidential Election thread - it's over? edition

Old 07-08-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The 2016 Presidential Election thread: Great Scott!!

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I see Trump as a sad extension of the Sarah Palin phenomenon. The Republican electorate apparently does not care one bit about integrity, experience, expertise, or knowledge.
"Yeah, those Republicans don't care about integrity like us Hillary supporters. We need someone with knowledge, but still considered by the FBI to be too stupid to indict."

I'm just giving you shit. It doesn't mean I support Trump. But I find the idea that either political side claims to gives a shit about integrity in this election to be laughable. Neither apparently does or we wouldn't be in this position.
Old 07-08-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Guy was despised when he dropped out of politics. Why anyone would think he'd add to a ticket is beyond me.
On the bright side, that moon base might be in play again. Moon Station Trump.
Old 07-08-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
"Yeah, those Republicans don't care about integrity like us Hillary supporters. We need someone with knowledge, but still considered by the FBI to be too stupid to indict."

I'm just giving you shit. It doesn't mean I support Trump. But I find the idea that either political side claims to gives a shit about integrity in this election to be laughable. Neither apparently does or we wouldn't be in this position.
I'll take HRC in the situation room any day. If she's careless and "stupid" with tech, I don't really give a shit.
Old 07-08-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
What I think is a bit more interesting and worthy of consideration is the possibility that Trump, if elected, would resign immediately after his inauguration. The premise is that he simply wants to win but not govern.
Not sure if you saw the article I posted, but someone recently asked him that in an interview .. that if he won, he'd just quite because he doesn't really want the job. His response was "We'll see how I feel when it happens".

Why the heck would he fan those fires? Bizarre.
Old 07-08-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

I'll take HRC in the situation room any day. If she's careless and "stupid" with tech, I don't really give a shit.
Well, at least you don't have blinders on like everyone else. She wasn't stupid with tech, she was stupid with classified material. You don't need to be tech smart to know what you can and can't do with classified material. They actually come and explain that to people and have them sign a contract. You will likely try to continually say that it was tech, but she was offered all kinds of help with it. She's too arrogant to take help from people who actually know more than her, though. But yeah, it's me with the blinders.

Still not an endorsement of Trump.
Old 07-08-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hillary is atleast qualified to President, where Trump isn't (and I say that as a Republican).

I don't want to come off as defending Hillary, but every President does some shady things that go on behind the scenes. Nixon had Watergate, Reagan had Iran Contra, LBJ had the Gulf of Tonkin, etc. The only difference between all of these Presidents is idiot Nixon taped himself and they were used to incriminate him.

Honestly, I don't need to know everything that goes on behind the scenes with our politicans. Sometimes a politican has to do what they need to do and I'm sure they are not going 100% by the book all of the time.

My opinion about this election is you know what you will get with Hillary. She will be like her husband in that she will move to the right if there is a Republican Congress, as I think she will get more things done then Obama because she is not an ideologue. I have no idea what Trump will do as President, as I don't even know if he will govern as a Republican or Democrat. I don't know if he is going to be tweeting shit out 10 minutes after some crisis, and who the hell knows what he is a going to say half of the time. He is a total wildcard.
Old 07-08-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Trump needs to pick a female VP.
Leslie Jones

Old 07-08-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We gave up on integrity years ago. Now we're just happy with the ability to speak coherently and not be the subject of constant ridicule.
Old 07-08-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, at least you don't have blinders on like everyone else. She wasn't stupid with tech, she was stupid with classified material. You don't need to be tech smart to know what you can and can't do with classified material. They actually come and explain that to people and have them sign a contract. You will likely try to continually say that it was tech, but she was offered all kinds of help with it. She's too arrogant to take help from people who actually know more than her, though. But yeah, it's me with the blinders.

And I'm sure she's going to accidentally tweet out the location of a SEAL team as President. You are turning a molehill into a mountain just as everyone is doing on the right and in BernieLand. It's like Benghazi - people just can't admit that it's not a big deal to most people. But they harp and harp and preach to the choir.
Old 07-08-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And there are both sides of the argument about Hillary...
Pro Hillary: She's dumb not evil but she'll be smart enough to govern well.
Anti Hillary: She's evil not dumb but she's dumb enough to not cover her tracks well.
Old 07-08-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Hillary is atleast qualified to President, where Trump isn't (and I say that as a Republican).
Both are qualified. She has more experience. People keep talking about qualifications as though there is a list beyond being a natural born citizen and at least 35 years of age. Actually, I think there is one or two more things, but being a career insider isn't listed.

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
We gave up on integrity years ago. Now we're just happy with the ability to speak coherently and not be the subject of constant ridicule.
YOU MUST LOVE TRUMP!!!!

It is honestly refreshing to see someone come this close to understanding that both choices are shit, even if you do choose one.

And I'm sure she's going to accidentally tweet out the location of a SEAL team as President. You are turning a molehill into a mountain just as everyone is doing on the right and in BernieLand. It's like Benghazi - people just can't admit that it's not a big deal to most people. But they harp and harp and preach to the choir.
Do you want to build a strawman? You do very well to keep the subject away from Hillary. "It's those BernieBros!!!!" Never mind all the reports about her, because if you do you have blinders on. DURRRRR!
Old 07-08-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Both are qualified. She has more experience. People keep talking about qualifications as though there is a list beyond being a natural born citizen and at least 35 years of age. Actually, I think there is one or two more things, but being a career insider isn't listed.
According to the Constitution, both are ELIGIBLE. I think that's the word you are looking for and not "qualified". It's amazing to me how many people would be willing to put our nuclear arsenal in the hands of someone who knows absolutely nothing about the demands of the job, the Constitution, or has any awareness of foreign affairs.

Do you want to build a strawman? You do very well to keep the subject away from Hillary. "It's those BernieBros!!!!" Never mind all the reports about her, because if you do you have blinders on. DURRRRR!
I was thinking about this. Perhaps it's because I don't spend hours obsessing over things like BernieBros do in their express desire to disqualify Hillary so their boy could get in there. I don't hole up in Reddit or Democratic Underground or Breitbart. I read some news and watch some TV and make a judgement. I really thing you need to step away from whatever sites you are viewing and perhaps get another point of view once in a while.
Old 07-08-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

According to the Constitution, both are ELIGIBLE. I think that's the word you are looking for and not "qualified". It's amazing to me how many people would be willing to put our nuclear arsenal in the hands of someone who knows absolutely nothing about the demands of the job, the Constitution, or has any awareness of foreign affairs.
And there it is again. It isn't about a single positive thing about Hillary, it is all "Trump will blow us up with nukes!!!!!" And again, you will likely see that as me being for Trump, but it is actually me pointing out, once again, that it would be nice if Hillary people could actually talk about the aspects of their candidate that would make one want to vote for her. Don't stay up late thinking of reasons that don't have to do with "She's not Trump."

I was thinking about this. Perhaps it's because I don't spend hours obsessing over things like BernieBros do in their express desire to disqualify Hillary so their boy could get in there. I don't hole up in Reddit or Democratic Underground or Breitbart. I read some news and watch some TV and make a judgement. I really thing you need to step away from whatever sites you are viewing and perhaps get another point of view once in a while.
When have I brought up Sanders? Want to do a search on this, or is this what you are rationalizing to keep the mantra up and just hoping others take the hint and start with it as well? On Reddit, I stick mainly to non political subs. I don't go to DU or Breitbart.

You seem to be projecting all this "BernieBros" stuff on me. You have for quite some time. I don't think I've said anything about him in this regard since Super Tuesday. You could try to prove me wrong, but I think you'll claim it isn't actually important. Making accusations to try to dismiss people based on something you can't back up seems pretty important to you, however.

But this is hardly the first time you have projected this type of stuff on me. Just like all the "You just like Trump" shit. I guess you really don't pay any attention.
Old 07-08-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And there it is again. It isn't about a single positive thing about Hillary, it is all "Trump will blow us up with nukes!!!!!" And again, you will likely see that as me being for Trump, but it is actually me pointing out, once again, that it would be nice if Hillary people could actually talk about the aspects of their candidate that would make one want to vote for her. Don't stay up late thinking of reasons that don't have to do with "She's not Trump."
I would say the reason to vote for Hillary is there is a chance she will govern like her husband, as I believe he was a good President even though I'm a Republican.

I know she has brought up on occasion '2 for 1' and I know Trump will counter Bill's sexual infidelities, but I think it is a reassuring issue for me. Clinton was a President who understood when to compromise to get things done (unlike Obama and most Tea Party Republicans in Congress) and he turned out to be a successful President.
Old 07-08-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I would say the reason to vote for Hillary is there is a chance she will govern like her husband, as I believe he was a good President even though I'm a Republican.

I know she has brought up on occasion '2 for 1' and I know Trump will counter Bill's sexual infidelities, but I think it is a reassuring issue for me. Clinton was a President who understood when to compromise to get things done (unlike Obama and most Tea Party Republicans in Congress) and he turned out to be a successful President.
That's an interesting point. But I've started wondering how much of the uncompromising of President Obama was cause and effect? How much of the Tea Party's commitment to seeing President Obama fail caused him to not compromise with them? Wouldn't be foolish to give in to someone/group who is dedicated to seeing you fail?
Old 07-08-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course it's positive. Hillary Clinton would be a responsible steward of our national security. Even respected national security experts from the Republican side acknowledge this. A lot actually. Where you get your inference that I'm negative on Trump only is again your bias playing into what you are reading.

When have I brought up Sanders? Want to do a search on this, or is this what you are rationalizing to keep the mantra up and just hoping others take the hint and start with it as well? On Reddit, I stick mainly to non political subs. I don't go to DU or Breitbart.

You seem to be projecting all this "BernieBros" stuff on me. You have for quite some time. I don't think I've said anything about him in this regard since Super Tuesday. You could try to prove me wrong, but I think you'll claim it isn't actually important. Making accusations to try to dismiss people based on something you can't back up seems pretty important to you, however.

But this is hardly the first time you have projected this type of stuff on me. Just like all the "You just like Trump" shit. I guess you really don't pay any attention.
Because Sanders supporters are well known and notoriously aggressive on the internet. IT's one of the reasons I couldn't vote for him. The super aggressive anti-Hillary bias comes from Republicans and Bernie supporters. Hell, they're buying out camp grounds around Philadelphia so they can crash the convention and play hacky-sack or something. You'd know better than me.

BTW, I don't believe I ever stated you supported Trump.
Old 07-08-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Trump needs to pick a female VP.
Old 07-08-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always suspected Ted Cruz was a woman.
Old 07-09-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Justice Ginsburg, throwing shade on The Donald.

Asked what if Republican Donald Trump won instead, she said, "I don't want to think about that possibility, but if it should be, then everything is up for grabs."

"It's likely that the next president, whoever she will be, will have a few appointments to make," Ginsburg said, smiling.
The fix is in!
Old 07-09-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've posted it before and I'll post it again, the Supreme Court appointments the next President will make are the most important issue in this election.

Looking at the list Donald posted earlier I certainly don't want any of them on the Court.
Old 07-09-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, seeing Trump's list of possible SC appointments is one of the main reasons I laugh at the notion of this election being a "toss up". Regardless of how awful both of them are, Trump is just far more awful.
Old 07-09-16, 12:31 PM

There have been some important policy developments on the Democratic side. THIS is why I will proudly vote for Clinton and other Democrats in November. As Obama said earlier this week, the GOP "has nothing to offer you." I personally will not benefit from any of these policies any time soon, but the American people as a whole will benefit.

Democrats embrace $15-an-hour minimum wage at CNN.com

Hillary Clinton to back public option for health care at CBSNews.com

Clinton unveils debt-free education plan with nod to Sanders at CNBC.com
Old 07-09-16, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, seeing Trump's list of possible SC appointments is one of the main reasons I laugh at the notion of this election being a "toss up". Regardless of how awful both of them are, Trump is just far more awful.
The idea that Clinton and Trump are equally bad is also nonsense because of the parties' policy differences. Generally speaking, people who say the nominees are equally bad are low-info voters, single-issue voters, or far right/left ideologues.
Old 07-09-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Just went to a parade. The most interesting thing I saw was that the county Republican float didn't have a sign for Trump, and the county Democrat float didn't have a sign for Clinton.
Old 07-09-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh, but that doesn't mean they are equally bad. One may be worse than the other but they are both obviously too bad for anyone to vote for who isn't a low-information, single issue, or far right/left ideologue.

I suppose it is perspective.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.